Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I hate the GAA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Why I hate the GAA

listen to that absolute gombeen talking on that miriam show now. ''its about the parish' dear oh dear. sorry i don't live in the country but what the hell does a parish mean? to me it represents everything wrong with ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Is this part of a series? "What I hate about comedies" for TV/Film, "What I hate about Macs" for Technology, etc.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Is that a "What I hate about "What I hate" threads" post?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    The only reason I dislike GAA is the fans that feel they have to support their county without knowing any of the players involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    The only reason I dislike GAA is the fans that feel they have to support their county without knowing any of the players involved.
    Yeah, like all those people who suddenly become Ireland fans when a World Cup comes around, or all those Longford fans who appear for a cup final.

What, what was this argument about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Theres a lot of angst in this thread.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    listen to that absolute gombeen talking on that miriam show now. ''its about the parish' dear oh dear. sorry i don't live in the country but what the hell does a parish mean? to me it represents everything wrong with ireland
    What are you saying?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I hate the GAA because they were founded by people with a chip on their shoulder and through a constant obsession with what other sports are up to, show they still haven't lost it yet.

Football is a b'stardised version of real football and rugby, that smacks of a game designed by a committee. It's had over 100 years to develop a tackle and failed. What we have at the minute is akin to two girls fighting for a handbag in the Brown Thomas sale.

Hurling is a great sport though, so undervalued and underappreciated, and the GAA's ethos of volunteerism (in the lower ranks) is brilliant and a credit to any country.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I hate the Gah because their games are crap (yes, all of them) and they're part of the FF-FG-SF-cultural primitivist alliance which keeps this country in the dark ages.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Football is a b'stardised version of real football and rugby, that smacks of a game designed by a committee. It's had over 100 years to develop a tackle and failed. What we have at the minute is akin to two girls fighting for a handbag in the Brown Thomas sale.
    Look at the game now from 10 years ago, they have introduced yellow and red cards, the additional time been addded, extra-time now rather than replays. The game is relying on 'soccer' to introduce new rules. The founders would be embarrassed now, as the game started is slowly losing its 'Irish roots'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Look at the game now from 10 years ago, they have introduced yellow and red cards, the additional time been addded, extra-time now rather than replays. The game is relying on 'soccer' to introduce new rules. The founders would be embarrassed now, as the game started is slowly losing its 'Irish roots'.
    Who cares where the rules originate once they improve the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The parish is more like the area where a church is. The parish is in the area near the church and a boundary is pretty much where the next church is. However, about every parish in Ireland has a GAA club.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    The parish is more like the area where a church is. The parish is in the area near the church and a boundary is pretty much where the next church is. However, about every parish in Ireland has a GAA club.
    Oh right he actually really wanted to know what a parish is, thought he was kind of joking. But if you didn't know what it was IrishUltra, then how can you think it represent everything that's wrong with Ireland

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I hate the Gah because their games are crap (yes, all of them) and they're part of the FF-FG-SF-cultural primitivist alliance which keeps this country in the dark ages.

Eloquent as ever. While you may have a valid point re:football, anyone who can tar the sport of hurling as "crap",must have some twisted view of what makes good sport. MInd you, someone who flogs the sporting dead horse that is Dublin City on a weekly basis must be in it for something apart from the sporting enjoyment. A kind of footbal S&M/Bondage.

As for the FF-FG-SF cultural primitivist alliance, i'd look for an explanation but i somehow think that u wouldn't be sure yourself.

Well done to rovers tonight. Great boost for LOI and fair play to the players who were interviewed on Sky over last few days. Gave good impression of their club, profession and league to a distant viewer.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    Theres a lot of angst in this thread.
    Theres a lot of sh1te more like
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebus2008 View Post
    Eloquent as ever. While you may have a valid point re:football, anyone who can tar the sport of hurling as "crap",must have some twisted view of what makes good sport. MInd you, someone who flogs the sporting dead horse that is Dublin City on a weekly basis must be in it for something apart from the sporting enjoyment. A kind of footbal S&M/Bondage.

As for the FF-FG-SF cultural primitivist alliance, i'd look for an explanation but i somehow think that u wouldn't be sure yourself.

Well done to rovers tonight. Great boost for LOI and fair play to the players who were interviewed on Sky over last few days. Gave good impression of their club, profession and league to a distant viewer.
    Someone who has never obviously played the sport.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    listen to that absolute gombeen talking on that miriam show now. ''its about the parish' dear oh dear.
    I don't see how a GAA gombeen saying "it's about the parish" is that much different to an LoI gombeen saying "it's about the club". I doubt there was a religious slant there, more about the community and locale around a given club.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Someone who has never obviously played the sport.
    What the hell kind of post is that? I've played all of the sports mentioned, and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Instead of making a point, you've come across as incredibly ignorant. Cop yourself on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's well in keeping with this thread so. A thread that was created by somebody for his hatred of parishes without knowing what a parish even is. I think rebus and tiktoc's post are about the ones worth reading.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Like all sports, hurling and football can produce some excellent games and some awful. Im much more of a fan of hurling than football, althou hurling lacks a sufficient number of genuinely top class teams. Gaa Football suffers from the fact that it doesnt have a defined tackle (as arguably does hurling) and also due to the over-reliance of teams on a hand passing game, takes the skill of kicking the ball out of the game. It amazes me the amount of gaa players who miss straight forward goal chances or penalties in gaelic football.

The gaa has a national competition that I would kill for in football, on the other hand, football has the international dimension that the gaa could only ever dream of.

The attitudes of alot of gaa people towards football has turned me off the game in the past. They almost have an inferior complex that whenever there is a game on they feel the need to come out with statements like "you wont find any entertainment in the world that matches this ger" etc etc. Why not just enjoy your own sport instead of trying to justify yourself that its better than some other sport. At the end of the day, no amount of gaa pundit/fan etc etc praising their sport over another is going to make me follow gaa more than football. Football is my preferred sport, end of, but i watch gaa from time to time during the summer and can see the merits in the game. Everyone to their own. I do think football in this country suffered in the past as a result of a number of factors including the ban, this is partly the reason why GAA has greater structures, infrastructure, finances in the country compared to football.
    Last edited by elroy; 22/07/2009 at 1:24 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast