Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106
Results 2,101 to 2,119 of 2119

Thread: The Big Fat European Latest Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Bohs easily could've went through against Salzburg.
    Thery certaintly should have put them out. Four austrian clubs including salzburg qualified for the europa cup group stages mind. Impressive for a small country like Austria.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    it will happen for sure but the worst thing is, the way things are looking it will be Rovers.
    haha It's more than likely Bohs will be in the Champions League again next year and the experience of Salzburg will only help the players. With a good run Bohs could make the Europa League Group Stages.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    haha It's more than likely Bohs will be in the Champions League again next year and the experience of Salzburg will only help the players. With a good run Bohs could make the Europa League Group Stages.
    we will have a very different squad next year. Ill remain hopeful though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I see Ventspils of Latvia were in the draw for the Europa League groups stages today.. If they can make it through then I don't see any reason why a LOI team cannot do the same in the next few years..
    And don't forget the Moldovans - Sheriff Tiraspol or whatever.

The three countries ranked below us with representatives in the group stages - Debrecen(Hun)(CL), Ventsplis(Lat)(EL) and Sheriff(Mol)(EL) - show that the best chance of doing that lies with our champions league place, a favourable draw and/or a big result and your in that last qualifying round guaranteed EL group stages.

Course the other team have to get results too, and I think the next step is to regularly get two teams to last qualifying round.

Despite what the naysayers say we are making progress. Its going to get tougher just staying where we are, not helped by the on going situations at various clubs. But considering how well our teams did this year, certainly better than I expected, I'm hopeful that breakthrough is coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post

The three countries ranked below us with representatives in the group stages - Debrecen(Hun)(CL), Ventsplis(Lat)(EL) and Sheriff(Mol)(EL) - show that the best chance of doing that lies with our champions league place, a favourable draw and/or a big result and your in that last qualifying round guaranteed EL group stages.

Course the other team have to get results too, and I think the next step is to regularly get two teams to last qualifying round.

Despite what the naysayers say we are making progress. Its going to get tougher just staying where we are, not helped by the on going situations at various clubs. But considering how well our teams did this year, certainly better than I expected, I'm hopeful that breakthrough is coming.
    id love to see the budgets of these teams out of interest...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I see Ventspils of Latvia were in the draw for the Europa League groups stages today.. If they can make it through then I don't see any reason why a LOI team cannot do the same in the next few years..
    No irish team will break the groups anytime soon, the play off round puts up vs a team that has easily 10 times an LOIs budget.

Having seen it twice now with Hertha and Steaua for all our effort, they had another gear in them could score when they wanted too.

Great effort by us last night and last season but we not good enough not even close tbh.

Sad thing is if our owner gave us a Kabillion euro and said sign any players in the LOI i dont see a single one that would perform better than how we did last night in any position.

Bohs may think they could have but the reality is they wouldnt, when you come vs these kind of teams we will get beat, at least we getting tru 2 rounds to play them (3 for others next season).
    5-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjaC View Post
    No irish team will break the groups anytime soon, the play off round puts up vs a team that has easily 10 times an LOIs budget.
    The way an LOI team will get into the Europa League group stages will be through the CL.
    Winnign through 2 rounds means you're guaranteed automatic group stage place in the Europa league doesn't it?

Still a while off but more realistic that gettin to the group stages through the Europa league itself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    The way an LOI team will get into the Europa League group stages will be through the CL.
    Winnign through 2 rounds means you're guaranteed automatic group stage place in the Europa league doesn't it?

Still a while off but more realistic that gettin to the group stages through the Europa league itself
    You never know. A lucky draw and next year we might do it.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Still 2 rounds to get tru in that, our league at the moment doesnt have a team capable of breaking Europe. Certainly wont next season unless we in it but thats unlikely.

We simply cant afford it, romanian lad was telling me the amount Steaua cutting from their budget via wage cuts is 1.2 million thats our budget or thereabouts for the season
    5-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjaC View Post
    Still 2 rounds to get tru in that, our league at the moment doesnt have a team capable of breaking Europe. Certainly wont next season unless we in it but thats unlikely.

We simply cant afford it, romanian lad was telling me the amount Steaua cutting from their budget via wage cuts is 1.2 million thats our budget or thereabouts for the season
    I think with a decent/lucky draw, we have teams capable of getting through 2 CL rounds.

Yeah, it will take luck and probably a bit more time, but its not that crazy to imagine when looked at as 2 ties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think with a decent/lucky draw, we have teams capable of getting through 2 CL rounds.
    What teams?
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    What teams?
    Cork City of course

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    What teams?
    Atm (assuming all current players play next season)

Bohs CL certainly the best equipped but your looking at 2 rounds vs teams that are far beyond in terms of budget and players. Assuming its the current bohs team that plays. I cant see them past 1 round unless they get a lucky draw, no dis repesct to Bohs far too many better teams in that draw. unlikley to get tur 2 rounds.

Rovers UEFA with current playing staff and current style of football, a dishonourable loss is expected unless they get our ranking and get seeded. Unlikey to get tru 4 rounds.

Cork UEFA players have played in it before and seen both sides of it unlikely to get tru 3 rounds.

Derry UEFA Best suited to get to playoff round, but thats about it.

Waterford UEFA ****ed in every sense of the word
    5-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    What teams?
    Take Bohs for example. Salzburg were there for the taking and 1 second of lapsed concentration stopped them from beating them. Salzburg are now in the Europa League group stages. Pat's performances this year could see them through 2 rounds with a good draw.

Im not saying it's anywhere near a definite, or even that we've a godd chance in the next couple of years.

But I certainly think it's possible that the 'upset' could happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts

Yeah, it will take luck and probably a bit more time, but its not that crazy to imagine when looked at as 2 ties.
    Take Bohs for example. Salzburg were there for the taking and 1 second of lapsed concentration stopped them from beating them. Salzburg are now in the Europa League group stages. Pat's performances this year could see them through 2 rounds with a good draw.

Im not saying it's anywhere near a definite, or even that we've a godd chance in the next couple of years.

But I certainly think it's possible that the 'upset' could happen.
    I agree with both of these statements. Surely a matter of time, at some stage the luck of the draw will fall for us. Going through to EL via the CL qualifiers does look the most likely route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post

For the record - the path to the various CL & EL Groups for those three was as follows:

Debrecen: Beat Kalmar of Sweden 3-3 on Away Goals, Beat Levadia Tallinn of Estonia 2-0, Beat Levski Sofia of Bulgaria 4-1 - Champions League Group Stages

Ventspils: Beat Dudelange of Luxembourg 6-1, Beat BATE Borisov of Belarus 2-2 on Away Goals, Lost to FC Zurich of Switzerland 5-1 - Europa League Group Stages

Sheriff: Beat Inter Turku of Finland 2-0, Beat Slavia Prague of the Czech Republic 1-1 on Away Goals, Lost to Olympiacos of Greece 3-0 - Europa League Group Stages
    Kom Igen, FCK...

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Of course a LOI team can do it in the near future, you only have to look at Ventipls effort this year, surely Bohs would have had a similar run in if they had got that opposition.

The encouraging thing for the LOI in Europe is now the games are more competitive, and the LOi isn't as easy a touch as it was years ago... (like the Norn Iorn league for example!)

By the way does anyone know what the attendance for the Pats game was?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Of course a LOI team can do it in the near future, you only have to look at Ventipls effort this year, surely Bohs would have had a similar run in if they had got that opposition.

The encouraging thing for the LOI in Europe is now the games are more competitive, and the LOi isn't as easy a touch as it was years ago... (like the Norn Iorn league for example!)

By the way does anyone know what the attendance for the Pats game was?
    according to one of the papers i read think it was the evening herald last night there was a attendance of 7192.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    according to one of the papers i read think it was the evening herald last night there was a attendance of 7192.
    Not too bad, so Pats would have made some decent money then out of this tie?

(my ticket cost 22 euros!!!)