Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Latest 10/07

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    In fairness to him someone had to cause there was no way they seemed to be listening to the stewards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    On the wall, it was a nice touch by Michael O'Neill to come over and ask the Rovers fans to move away from the bit where the wall collapsed.
    It was indeed, MON had obviously been asked by the Bray security official which was a nice touch indeed and common sense from both parties. But I was right by where he came over and he was the first person to ask people to do so. This was 10 or so minutes after the game was stopped, and not a single Garda (most of whom looked about 19 years old and like they hadn't a clue what to do) had gotten their act together and taken command of a relatively minor situation.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    At the risk of sounding like Dodge, my God, Shels are a horrible, nasty, petty, vicious little team. Any chance for some niggle, they went in for it. Bear hugs from free kicks, kicking the ball away for every throw or free, some nasty, nasty challenges (McGill and Keely in particular booked for a horrible and cynical foul respectively). Referee did nothing about it. Finn was an idiot to retaliate, and Hilda's an effing wench to somehow rule out our perfectly good equaliser. How you can be offside when the ball's played backwards, when you're behind the ball, and when the opposition keeper plays it to you is beyond me (or else how she called the ball out for a goal kick, which I don't think she did anyway).

Games like that make me really really hope Shels' season ends the same way as last season. A horrible, nasty little side. The day Keely leaves this league will be a massively positive day for all concerned.

Was delighted how we responded after going 1-0 down and down to ten men though. Some of the best ball we've played in the past few weeks. Finn's out for a game anyway - probably three - but hopefully we can use the experience of this game and build on it.

(Obviously the wall incident puts all that into context, before anyone points that out)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Just in from the game in Oriel - Bohs were clear winners, and the game was over as a contest when Michael Daly was sent off after 15 minutes.

Curious to hear the red carding views from anyone who watched on Setanta (with the benefits of replay)
    Looked a red to me, it was a reckless challenge. I can understand frustration at having a player sent off just 15 minutes into a game, but as someone who detests "It's too early in the game to award a penalty/send off a player" arguments I thought it was the right decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Booking Baker for simulation when he had the Bray keeper on top of him?
    It wa the 2nd time Baker had done it.

Then not booking two Bray players for simulation despite waving them to their feet?
    Robinson guilty of the same thing on more than one occasion.

Booking Rovers players for niggly fouls, not Bray players.
    Who?

Missing a rather obvious (or so it seemed) Rovers penalty in the first half when Sean O'Connor had his jersey pulled back.
    Your're having a laugh there, watch MNS.

Not booking Craig Sives for a terrible foul on the Bray no. 12, he didn't even give a free kick!
    Agreed.

When the wall was down he was over checking with security staff how it was going, took time out to smirk, wink and chat back to Rovers fans shouting from the stands.
    Not sure what has to do with his refereeing.

Like I said there have been worse displays this season, especially at the Carlisle. I think everyone agrees the standard of the ref's in the league is dire at the moment. Kelly making the champions league list doesnt cover over the cracks.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    At the risk of sounding like Dodge, my God, Shels are a horrible, nasty, petty, vicious little team. Any chance for some niggle, they went in for it. Bear hugs from free kicks, kicking the ball away for every throw or free, some nasty, nasty challenges (McGill and Keely in particular booked for a horrible and cynical foul respectively). Referee did nothing about it. Finn was an idiot to retaliate, and Hilda's an effing wench to somehow rule out our perfectly good equaliser. How you can be offside when the ball's played backwards, when you're behind the ball, and when the opposition keeper plays it to you is beyond me (or else how she called the ball out for a goal kick, which I don't think she did anyway).

Games like that make me really really hope Shels' season ends the same way as last season. A horrible, nasty little side. The day Keely leaves this league will be a massively positive day for all concerned.

Was delighted how we responded after going 1-0 down and down to ten men though. Some of the best ball we've played in the past few weeks. Finn's out for a game anyway - probably three - but hopefully we can use the experience of this game and build on it.

(Obviously the wall incident puts all that into context, before anyone points that out)
    What was Shels goal like, Stu?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Poor from our point of view. Shels lad got space on the right inside the box, sent a cross low across goal which somehow went all the way to the far post, where O'Brien scrambled home just ahead of our defender.

Actually, it was almost identical to our "goal", which was offside somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eL Bettor View Post
    Sham Rovers 2-1 up, and some of their fans invade the pitch to celebrate resulting in an injury when a wall apparently collapsed
    To set the record straight, I was right beside where the incident happened, and no Rovers fans ran on the pitch... people were leaning against the wall and cheering Twigg as he had just scored, the number of people at the wall was "one deep" and the wall simply collapsed, resulting in approx 6/7 fans falling over with it, which resulted in one adult fan been taken away with a suspected broken leg, from what I could see the child seemed ok but very shocked.... as for Bray they should be ashamed of themselves , all the stewards around us were commenting about how they expected something like this was bound to happen....as for the FAI passing such a run-down stadium , well they are just as culpable.
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 10/07/2009 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Rovers fans did run onto the pitch, although this in no way caused the collapse of the wall. The surge of fans rush to congratulate Twigg however did. No doubt there will be an enquiry into this and rightly so.

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    Rovers fans did run onto the pitch, although this in no way caused the collapse of the wall. The surge of fans rush to congratulate Twigg however did. No doubt there will be an enquiry into this and rightly so.
    So why then were other posters mentioning Rovers fans running onto the pitch in the context of the wall collapsing ? Also it was not a surge... the people against the wall were standing leaning against it before he scored... as I said it was "one deep" and the wall simply collapsed...so don't be making comments that in any way appear to implicate Rovers fans as being in any manner responsible for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    The Rovers fans who ran onto the pitch DID NOT cause the collapse of the wall. The surge of fans did result in the collapse of the wall, obviously there was an existing problem with it and no doubt there are some seroius questions to be asked.

Blog

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You can speculate all you want guys, here's what really happened.

http://phillaldinho.com/forum/viewto...p=11719#p11719

This site always seems to get the news and scoops first for some reason

http://phillaldinho.com/forum/index.php

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    The Rovers fans who ran onto the pitch DID NOT cause the collapse of the wall. The surge of fans did result in the collapse of the wall, obviously there was an existing problem with it and no doubt there are some seroius questions to be asked.
    We can spend all night on this... there was no surge by the fans unless you call leaning on a wall a surge ?? Anyway as you say some serious questions and hopefully those negligible within BWFC, the FAI and the relevent H&S authorities if proven to be culpable will have the decency to accept responsibilty and resign.... some how doubt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Dont think they have a choice, I'd imagine that any incident like this that Uefa would be peering at not to mention insurance claims. That wall is only there since about 97' ish it shouldnt have collapsed like that.

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    On a happier note, I'd imagine there are some celebrations on the Kildare team bus tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    From RTE:

Brian King was hailed the Drogheda hero as his 88th minute winning goal extended the Boynesiders' unbeaten run to six matches.
    The midfielder got his head to a cross from the left during Drogheda's only real attack in the second half to seriously dent the Candystripes championship aspirations.
    This has been pointed out on MNS. King nearly scored against us last Sunday, sneaking in at the back post. Surely Kenny highlighted this to his left back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    A lot of our goals this season have been headers.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Aye, but I'm talking specifically about the tactic of King drifting in from the right wing to get headers at the far post. It's not exactly a secret by this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Booking Baker for simulation when he had the Bray keeper on top of him? Then not booking two Bray players for simulation despite waving them to their feet? Booking Rovers players for niggly fouls, not Bray players. Missing a rather obvious (or so it seemed) Rovers penalty in the first half when Sean O'Connor had his jersey pulled back. Not booking Craig Sives for a terrible foul on the Bray no. 12, he didn't even give a free kick! When the wall was down he was over checking with security staff how it was going, took time out to smirk, wink and chat back to Rovers fans shouting from the stands.

Don't think it's one for his scrapbook.
    Pretty sure he was booked for having a little kick at skippy. Could have gone on another night for that, silly stuff from someone as experienced as him
    I'd love to invent a time machine then go back in time and win the lottery, buy new players and a stadium. Time machines are brilliant aren't they- Ian Holloway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    To set the record straight, I was right beside where the incident happened, and no Rovers fans ran on the pitch... people were leaning against the wall and cheering Twigg as he had just scored, the number of people at the wall was "one deep" and the wall simply collapsed, resulting in approx 6/7 fans falling over with it, which resulted in one adult fan been taken away with a suspected broken leg, from what I could see the child seemed ok but very shocked.... as for Bray they should be ashamed of themselves , all the stewards around us were commenting about how they expected something like this was bound to happen....as for the FAI passing such a run-down stadium , well they are just as culpable.
    Are you blind or taking the p!ss? Clearly rovers fans on the pitch before the wall went. As centre mid said the fans on the pitch didn't caused the collapse, but to say there were no rovers fans on the pitch and there wasn't a serge to the wall by the fans is naive at best. How they were allowed get to the wall is another matter, obviously stewards not paying proper attention.
    Last edited by Hulsey; 11/07/2009 at 1:58 AM.
    I'd love to invent a time machine then go back in time and win the lottery, buy new players and a stadium. Time machines are brilliant aren't they- Ian Holloway

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast