Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vllaznia - Rovers 2nd leg game thread - Game to be shown in Connollys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vllaznia - Rovers 2nd leg game thread - Game to be shown in Connollys

I came across a blog on the net living in Shkoder, anyway the lad that writes it is a Celtic fan and a Scot living out there so he will be tuned into our way of thinking. So i decided to give him an email asking him a few questions and fair play he wrote back. I thought he was fairly helpful and quite informative on a few do's and don't, the bit in bold is for a certain member of the DSC (You know who you are ).

http://www.shkoder.blogspot.com/

Thomas,
    thanks for the e-mail.

I'll try to answer the questions.
    I take it you have cheap flights/ferry to Dubrovnik.

Google maps take you through Podgorica. That is roughly 2 hours from Shkoder, taking into account the border crossing. So I would reckon roughly 5 hours would be a fair estimate. The roads aren't that great and can be a bit windy, so that lowers your speed. It is bumpy from the border down into Shkoder.

Good pubs...
    Pubs as we know them do not really exist much in Albania. Instead, you have cafes. There are literally hundreds of them. not all of them have draught beer. Most would just have bottles of Becks, heineken, amstel or some really watery stuff from Italy. There are a few that have draught beer ( krikell). The draught beer will be watered down, but it is good. If anyone is scared of local water, ice in drinks etc....then let them stick to bottled beer. No ales or Guiness.....although you might find a dark becks in some places.
    In general go to the Post Office, main square with the mosque and find somewhere there. 5 mins from stadium, and plenty of cafes/hotels which should have draught beer.

The stadium is about 5 minutes from the centre of town. In Shkoder from early morning till late night you have lots of people milling about the streets, so i would advise you to find a cafe bar that you like, hopefully it will be sunny and hot, and you can sit outside and drink as much as you want. They probably wont even mind a sing-song. As long as you are buying from the cafe, then you will be safe. In fact you should be safe in Shkoder. there are too many people going about to have any real hassle. As long as you dont go about flashing wads of money or try to be abusive, or hassle the women ( dont try that!!! - the father, big brother, cousin is usually a couple of steps behind them!! - and you dont want confrontation with them!!) other than that then they are really friendly. To be honest the owner will be more than happy to have your custom!!

You should find the locals very friendly. there is no such thing as crowd trouble and most will view you as 'entertainment". they will want their team to win, but they already know that probably the team have placed bets on "more than 3 goals in the game"( or something like that!)....so they are not expecting much!

Again after the game you can find a cafe and drink there. I wouldnt advise going about the streets VERY late at night, but there are usually people about even in the early hours!
    Hopefully someone is staying overnight in a "hotel" and you can all pile in there and drink as much as you want.

Hope you have a good time, and have a successful European venture!
    Colin
    Last edited by Rovers Maniac; 06/07/2009 at 2:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Safe journey and enjoy the match. Please God Rovers will do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers Maniac View Post
    I came across a blog on the net living in Shkoder, anyway the lad that writes it is a Celtic fan and a Scot living out there so he will be tuned into our way of thinking. So i decided to give him an email asking him a few questions and fair play he wrote back. I thought he was fairly helpful and quite informative on a few do's and don't, the bit in bold is for a certain member of the DSC (You know who you are ).

http://www.shkoder.blogspot.com/

Thomas,
    thanks for the e-mail.

I'll try to answer the questions.
    I take it you have cheap flights/ferry to Dubrovnik.

Google maps take you through Podgorica. That is roughly 2 hours from Shkoder, taking into account the border crossing. So I would reckon roughly 5 hours would be a fair estimate. The roads aren't that great and can be a bit windy, so that lowers your speed. It is bumpy from the border down into Shkoder.

Good pubs...
    Pubs as we know them do not really exist much in Albania. Instead, you have cafes. There are literally hundreds of them. not all of them have draught beer. Most would just have bottles of Becks, heineken, amstel or some really watery stuff from Italy. There are a few that have draught beer ( krikell). The draught beer will be watered down, but it is good. If anyone is scared of local water, ice in drinks etc....then let them stick to bottled beer. No ales or Guiness.....although you might find a dark becks in some places.
    In general go to the Post Office, main square with the mosque and find somewhere there. 5 mins from stadium, and plenty of cafes/hotels which should have draught beer.

The stadium is about 5 minutes from the centre of town. In Shkoder from early morning till late night you have lots of people milling about the streets, so i would advise you to find a cafe bar that you like, hopefully it will be sunny and hot, and you can sit outside and drink as much as you want. They probably wont even mind a sing-song. As long as you are buying from the cafe, then you will be safe. In fact you should be safe in Shkoder. there are too many people going about to have any real hassle. As long as you dont go about flashing wads of money or try to be abusive, or hassle the women ( dont try that!!! - the father, big brother, cousin is usually a couple of steps behind them!! - and you dont want confrontation with them!!) other than that then they are really friendly. To be honest the owner will be more than happy to have your custom!!

You should find the locals very friendly. there is no such thing as crowd trouble and most will view you as 'entertainment". they will want their team to win, but they already know that probably the team have placed bets on "more than 3 goals in the game"( or something like that!)....so they are not expecting much!

Again after the game you can find a cafe and drink there. I wouldnt advise going about the streets VERY late at night, but there are usually people about even in the early hours!
    Hopefully someone is staying overnight in a "hotel" and you can all pile in there and drink as much as you want.

Hope you have a good time, and have a successful European venture!
    Colin
    Ha ha... brilliant

We'll have to sedate him with alcohol for the few hours we will be there!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Smile

He might need some marking, in fairness he has scored a lot away this season including the brandywell :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Up to 150 Rovers travelled out on the flight to Dubrovnik yesterday according to the Weekender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by red bellied View Post
    Up to 150 Rovers travelled out on the flight to Dubrovnik yesterday according to the Weekender.
    I'm guessing that includes the team, backroom staff & MC etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    out here now and it is scorching hot!when we got of the plane last night it was 26

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by forza rovers View Post
    out here now and it is scorching hot!when we got of the plane last night it was 26
    Make sure Rory H is wearing sun screen so!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    What time is the kick off Irish time and will we get any update from RTE, I know Ocean will be out of the frame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Well Red View Post
    What time is the kick off Irish time and will we get any update from RTE, I know Ocean will be out of the frame.
    Ocean will have someone out there.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Game is 7pm Irish time. My understanding is that Ocean FM are doing full commentary which I am surprised and happy about. I am have picked the info up wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Heading out in the morning, cant wait now.
    i was really disapointed after last thursday ,
    but you never know............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Leaving now, confident we will get what we need and advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just about to leave.....cant see us doing it but i am going out there just in case SRFC do the unimaginable and turnaround 2 away goals!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hopefully we can pull it out of the fire, you never know...!!!
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Have not heard anything on what the team might be but we can guess, hope Peers is fit and good luck the BIT were still behind you whatever the result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vllaznia View Post
    Radio Commentary lol?? you guys who cant see the game on TV can watch it live on the internet. I'm sure many Albanians will stream it. The quality aint HD but definitely better than radio commentary
    Well can we have a link for the stream, know it all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    The game is live on Digitalb Supersport 2

I have an official card for the albanian sports package so shall tune in. I am sure a pub around sligo will have it?
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB View Post
    The game is live on Digitalb Supersport 2

I have an official card for the albanian sports package so shall tune in. I am sure a pub around sligo will have it?
    nice, hopefully we can find pub, would be great if mooneys had it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB View Post
    I have an official card for the albanian sports package so shall tune in.
    Everyone down to RonnieB's so yeah?!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast