Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sligo Rovers v Rapid Vienna Thurs 23rd July

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sligo Rovers v Rapid Vienna Thurs 23rd July

Sligo Rovers have announced that anyone who purchases a ticket for their game against Vllaznia will have first preference for tickets for the home game against Rapid Vienna WHEN the club progress. Ticket holders are asked to hold onto their ticket stubs as they will be required as proof of purchase. Supporters are reminded that the home capacity for the Showgrounds is set at 2,700 so there will be a huge demand for tickets for the game against Rapid WHEN Paul Cook’s side beat Vllaznia. Supporters are advised to get their tickets fast so that they don’t miss out on what is set to be another famous European night in the Showgrounds. Tickets for the game against Vllaznia are currently on sale throughout Sligo and from any committee member.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Is this guy serious?????

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Told ya. 2000 max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    God almighty i know it's good to be confident but this i hate to see these threads its borderline on jinxing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers Maniac View Post
    God almighty i know it's good to be confident but this i hate to see these threads its borderline on jinxing.
    I agree totally. I think its just the poster's attempt at humour though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    well if it is he has a brutal sense in humour. maybe put up a thread like this after the home leg if we have a decent advantage but this is bordering on the ridiculous.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I've been told before my sense of humour isn't the best allright!!

The idea behind this post is that we are trying to get more people to the game and in turn create a better atmosphere.There has been a number of callers to the Club enquiring about tickets for the Rapid Vienna game.When asked were they going to the Vllaznia game they said no, they were waiting for the Vienna game.WHEN that game comes around there will definitely be a demand for tickets and it will definitely sell out.If people think they mightn't get a ticket for the next game, they might just buy one for this one.
    We sold just under 250 tickets today in the Club office-this included 50 to an Albanian lad and 40 to a business who are treating their employees/suppliers.
    The rest were a mixture of adults,concessions and kids.The kids tickets are nearly gone and there's not too many concessions left either.
    There's no real point in putting this post up after the game.

I can guarantee you one thing that whatever team Paul Cook and Sligo Rovers put out, they will give 110% and wont be far away.

If anybody believes that what I write on a message board is going to affect the result of the game then they were obviously on the sauce today.
    On the other hand if anybody has a doll and pins knocking around, or their first cousin dabbles in a bit of black magic or better still if they know any of the little people, we might be interested in meeting up!!
    Now where did I put my copy of Darby O Gill.....

Let's get behind the team and convince our friends and family to go and get 2,001 in the gate just to **** off Avvenalaf because if you think my sense of humour is bad, well I wouldn't have a look in with him!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Going through the Rapid Vienna forum, the majority of them want to play us!

Some gems there too.

1.They think Oriel Park holds 13,500

2.But Sligo has a real airport. In Berecih blurred by Google Earth, a black bar to me in the pictures are not honest then looks that could land aircraft there.

3.Longer if someone travels to Sligo would be a visit to the Cliffs of Moher to offer that are not so far away

4.What a nonsense. For a club such as the Sligo Rovers is not at all, because every opponent is often the EC is an absolute highlight. It is neither random nor flattery that the EC Heimspiel Sligo on their homepage as the biggest game in many years and in the local radio of mighty Rapid Vienna talking.
    Rapid And at least, is a name that is at least as a football fan ever heard can

5.They think we might play the game in Tolka

6.How much would appreciate sligo?
    . Not very much, certainly much weaker than Bohemians.

7. And this city seems fairly isolated in the north of the country to be surrounded by a lake, mountains and more mountains ... sehr unwirtlich, was man da so auf Google Earth sehen kann. very inhospitable, so what is there on Google Earth can see.

8.The Sligos have a dream stadium. Soviel ist sicher. This much is certain.

Her mit den irischen (Damen) Her with the Irish (Ladies)

9.The city has 17,892 inhabitants, Sligo has about 150 pubs" source: wikipedia, na, I hope to Ireland.

Good fun if your bored.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What more do some people want, European Football and still wont come out to the Showgrounds great idea Kevin L. Typical Sligo attitude.....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Need to RELAX your stressed boy and still a week to match day maybe you should get a little lady company.. We'er all on edge but in fairness you have to see Kevin L's point. The club are trying their best and taking care of the punters who'll be singing our hearts out come thursday.

In the heights of elation since 7.18pm 14/11/10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L View Post
    Sligo Rovers have announced that anyone who purchases a ticket for their game against Vllaznia will have first preference for tickets for the home game against Rapid Vienna WHEN the club progress. Ticket holders are asked to hold onto their ticket stubs as they will be required as proof of purchase. Supporters are reminded that the home capacity for the Showgrounds is set at 2,700 so there will be a huge demand for tickets for the game against Rapid WHEN Paul Cook’s side beat Vllaznia. Supporters are advised to get their tickets fast so that they don’t miss out on what is set to be another famous European night in the Showgrounds. Tickets for the game against Vllaznia are currently on sale throughout Sligo and from any committee member.
    Whatever about KevinL's sense of humour, can I ask what the hell would be the point of posting the above after the Vllaznia game when people may have thrown out their ticket stubs. I can just see the thread now, "club let down fans who attend first round game" or maybe this gem "as usual the true fans miss out on tickets for the big games". Its a great idea and will make sure that everyone who makes an effort to go to the first game will get the chance to go to the second IF we progress.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smile

the reality here is that we need to sell all 2500 tickets( 200 for vip etc) to cover the cost of travelling to the away leg. there is absolutely no money to be made by sligo rovers from this game. if we fill all the seats we will be lucky to break even. remember e50k had to be spent in upgrading the ground
    (new seating, the pitch has being improved & a tv gantry has to go in place in the next few days, also the girders in the old stand had to be specially painted, all costing money) i for one will be very dissapointed if we do not sell the game complete & to prove "avenalaugh" estimates incorrect. i can understand kevin lydons idea of trying to drum up support cause from what i hear we are a good deal away yet from filling the ground but hopefully there will be a late surge. so i think it is every genuine supporters responsibility to promote the game as there are a lot of luke warm people out there and money is very tight. i just pray to god that the people of sligo give this game the support it deserves.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Look, let's get this straight, I think Kevin's idea is spot on the money and I will take no pleasure in being proven right, if I am, but I do live in the real world and there is a recession. Consequently, the GAA championship match v Galway on Sunday is going to take money from Rovers as Dad can't bring kids to both and if you think that GAA fans don't frequent the Showgrounds, then that is because you don't frequent GAA and see the many familiar faces. Town will turn out but the country is problematic.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smile

when i said the "people of sligo" i am including town& county. i also feel that the chamber of commerce should be doing something to promote this game a banner across gratten st /oconnell st might be an idea. i am going to ask the question without suggesting or inviting criticism but should keith o dwyer play a more active roll on occasions like this. possibly he should be the link between sligo rovers & the business community for this game. it just seems to me that the game is not in the publics face so to speak. by the way avenalaf i will be in the "park" on sunday & looking very much forward to it along with paul & gerry and most of the players. lets hope that my doubt and your estimates are totally proven wrong for the big game next thursday night. sleep well my friend !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red arrow View Post
    when i said the "people of sligo" i am including town& county. i also feel that the chamber of commerce should be doing something to promote this game a banner across gratten st /oconnell st might be an idea. i am going to ask the question without suggesting or inviting criticism but should keith o dwyer play a more active roll on occasions like this. possibly he should be the link between sligo rovers & the business community for this game. it just seems to me that the game is not in the publics face so to speak. by the way avenalaf i will be in the "park" on sunday & looking very much forward to it along with paul & gerry and most of the players. lets hope that my doubt and your estimates are totally proven wrong for the big game next thursday night. sleep well my friend !
    Totally agree with this. Maybe the council might turn a blind eye to extra posters/signs on the roadways on this occasion.
    Afterall Rovers are representing the County & Borough of Sligo and the entire North West in the Europa Cup'

Maybe sell tickets through the Lotto stand in the Arcade. Massive footfall.

BTW fair play to Barton Smiths and Jako for selling the tickets.
    Im sure its a incovience for them, next time i have to purchase sports stuff i'll buy it from these guys.
    At the end of the day support your own.
    Last edited by srfc1928; 26/06/2009 at 1:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers1 View Post
    8.The Sligos have a dream stadium. Soviel ist sicher. This much is certain.
    Not just me then!

On a more serious note, if the home leg of the 2Q round is going to be on the 23rd then that's the first game that I could possibly get to so I seriously hope that we can get past these Albanians and that I can get a ticket!
    Keep on keepin' on.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I got a call from a committee member last night wondering what the "Vienna" promotion was.He said he got a call from a member of the public asking had he any tickets because he wanted to go to the Vienna game.So we sold 4 because of it-not a great return so far but still a return.
    I think it is a very good idea but I have to admit it wasn't mine.But I did change the wording slightly ie I changed the word "if" to "WHEN" because I think we'll win-it'll be tough but we wont be far away.
    Our buddy from Albania came back this morning and bought another 25 and we sold over 30 to Sligo fans as well-so slowly but surely they are going.
    In relation to Keith O Dwyer, he does a lot of work that people dont see and I certainly dont envy parts of his job.He also does a lot of work for the FAI as well.
    If we had the money, we would have 100's of posters/signs the length and breath of the North West but we dont.
    Everybody has been talking about European football for long enough so in fairness everybody should know this game is on.I know I am talking to the converted here but if everybody brought just one more person to the game, we'd be in business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    on reading this thread, some posts in particular, it looks like people are holding out for a possible game against Rapid Vienna to see the team, so hope no one takes offence about this, how about supporting the team and go to the Vllaznia game as well, the team is in europe, how often does it happen, get behind the team, and stop holding out for the bigger teams/games, hopefully we will progress, but its a knock out competition, its not a certainity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mint sauce View Post
    on reading this thread, some posts in particular, it looks like people are holding out for a possible game against Rapid Vienna to see the team, so hope no one takes offence about this, how about supporting the team and go to the Vllaznia game as well, the team is in europe, how often does it happen, get behind the team, and stop holding out for the bigger teams/games, hopefully we will progress, but its a knock out competition, its not a certainity
    Logistically, going to Albania is far harder than going to Austria.
    Also, if something happens in Austria (An accident for example), I'd much rather a run in with the Austrian emergency services than the Albanian ones.
    As well as this, Austria is in the EU, so travelling and the support between here and there will be much easier and better than in Albania.
    I'd love to able to go to Albania, but for me and others it's just impossible. It's not about not supporting the team, it's about being able to go.
    Believe me, if I could go, I would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SligoBrewer View Post
    Logistically, going to Albania is far harder than going to Austria.
    Also, if something happens in Austria (An accident for example), I'd much rather a run in with the Austrian emergency services than the Albanian ones.
    As well as this, Austria is in the EU, so travelling and the support between here and there will be much easier and better than in Albania.
    I'd love to able to go to Albania, but for me and others it's just impossible. It's not about not supporting the team, it's about being able to go.
    Believe me, if I could go, I would.
    point taken, but i was more referring to the home game, i'd love to go to any away game they play in europe, unfortunatly, i cant at present

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast