Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro First Round Tie Vs Vllaznia Home Leg (Match thread)

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligored View Post
    This is our most important tie of the season and anyone who thinks drogs on sunday is more important is wrong- the money involved in reaching the second round v rapid vienna will see us financially secure for this year anyway and will allow us to sign first team players to bring us to mid table at least.

from todays indo

"All we're saying here is 'listen, I've got a little dream here and I don't want anyone to break it'."

No, the above is not Martin Luther King on the moral values of equality.

Instead, it's Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook speaking about their tie against Albanian side KS Vllaznia Shkoder at the Showgrounds tomorrow, (7.0).

Ahead of their Europa League first qualifying round clash against obscure Albanian opposition, it's maybe a little difficult to feel the buzz sweeping around the western town this week from afar, much less put it into words.

Lucky then, that Cook is not lacking in enthusiasm himself.

"Everyone says to me about this professional thing, about saying 'we'll take each game at a time', it's a load of b****x," he said. "If you're in football and if you play for Sligo or you're in the Irish league, and you can't dream about playing Rapid Vienna, well, what's the point?"

"We're not saying we're going to play them (the Austrian side await in the next round), we're not being big headed. All you're saying is 'I've got a dream here'.

"If you do get through, your dream has come true, if you don't, well not many dreams do come true anyway. It's just our way of looking at it, we might be a bit different around here."

Certainly, as managers go, the Sligo Rovers boss tends to do things a little differently. And thus far it has worked.

Sligo play their first European game in 12 years tomorrow, they remain in the FAI Ford Cup and the EA Sports Cup -- all with one of the smallest squads in the League. But as far as big games go for the Bit O' Red, they do not come more crucial than this one at the Showgrounds -- and the Liverpudlian knows it.

"Of course, (if Sligo qualify for the next round) it's €100,000, it's another sell-out gate, it's probably live TV. And with all due respect to a club like ours, you don't scoff at money like that -- it's half your playing budget in one night."

That tight budget is one of Sligo's primary concerns in the build-up to the biggest game of their season. In their last League game against Bohemians they only fielded two substitutions, as over half of their 14 professionals were either injured or suspended.

But Cook says he is happy this week to have at least 11 players to work with. Rafael Cretaro and Danny Ventre will definitely return, while Shaun Holmes and Gavin Peers are doubtful but Stephen Parkhouse will not play.

But whatever happens tomorrow -- and in the return leg in Albania next Thursday -- Cook maintains that he is Sligo through and through and has no plans to move on despite being offered other high-profile managerial positions.

"You have to teach loyalty to your players, there's a right time to leave a club and a wrong time. I certainly won't be leaving this club in the foreseeable future."
    **** sake, roll on tomorrow!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Betting Man View Post
    Just a couple of quotes I found on the betfair forum not saying they are true or anything but Ive noticed it myself that there has been alot of money on Sligo lately.Just thought Id share the rumours with use
    Forgetting all these rumours, what would you price a Sligo win at?

Best of luck tomorrow lads btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Got Rovers this morning, half time/full time 12/5. Next thing screen starts changing and new message appears of price change against the Albanians. Rovers are now 8/11 to win over the ninety minutes! This was Ladbrokes in John Street.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rovers were 13/10 in Hacketts yesterday morning,was waiting till my lunch break to back them,come lunch time they price had changed at they were 11/10 didnt back them, now they are 8/11 alot of people expecting Sligo to win

IFK101 I would have priced Sligo up at 10/11 or so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Betting Man View Post
    IFK101 I would have priced Sligo up at 10/11 or so
    That's why there has been a movement on the Sligo price. Sligo were available at around 2.5 earlier in the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There has certainly been movement in this market in the last day. Rovers have come right in on the odds.
    But you can take it from me it doesn't take alot of money for this market to change. 'The Betting Man' says there is alot of money on Rovers but really it is only small money as of yet. A couple hundred euro and the market will completely change again. If someone says its a fix it just shows up your lack of knowledge on something like this.
    You'll know when a big punter comes in, believe me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inside Man View Post
    There has certainly been movement in this market in the last day. Rovers have come right in on the odds.
    But you can take it from me it doesn't take alot of money for this market to change. 'The Betting Man' says there is alot of money on Rovers but really it is only small money as of yet. A couple hundred euro and the market will completely change again. If someone says its a fix it just shows up your lack of knowledge on something like this.
    You'll know when a big punter comes in, believe me.
    there's €141k matched on rovers on betfair. that's huge for a random europa league game 29 hours before kick off
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts
    Can we stick to the game lads.

No team news for the game yet?
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inside Man View Post
    If someone says its a fix it just shows up your lack of knowledge on something like this.
    And what is your knowledge of fixed matches?
    Albanian teams are notorious for it every year in the former UEFA cup.

http://forum.bettingadvice.com/showthread.php?t=42819

Good luck to Sligo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Injury latest

Hi Lads..just wanted to check the injury latest..i know Danny,Raf and Romy are back from the team who played Bohs but are Peers and Holmes expected to play 2mor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Just wanted to wish everyone involved in Sligo the best of luck with the big European tie tomorrow. Hope to see ye make it into the next round and beyond.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrickFan View Post
    Hi Lads..just wanted to check the injury latest..i know Danny,Raf and Romy are back from the team who played Bohs but are Peers and Holmes expected to play 2mor?

It says in the Champion that Peers and Holmes are battling for full fitness while parkhouse will definatly not play. Hope that helps CarrickFan, we can only wait and see if they pass fit as Cook will leave it late to name his starting 11.
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligofan4ever View Post
    It says in the Champion that Peers and Holmes are battling for full fitness while parkhouse will definatly not play. Hope that helps CarrickFan, we can only wait and see if they pass fit as Cook will leave it late to name his starting 11.

Thanks...actually just got a copy of the Champion in town here now...would be a huge boost tho to have both players especially Peers fit..would be confident if they are...cant wait for the match at this stage!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fingers crossed injuries dont keep Peers and Holmes and even more so the weather goes in our favour and dosent make our long awaited game even longer away .
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligored View Post
    This is our most important tie of the season and anyone who thinks drogs on sunday is more important is wrong- the money involved in reaching the second round v rapid vienna will see us financially secure for this year anyway and will allow us to sign first team players to bring us to mid table at least.

from todays indo

"All we're saying here is 'listen, I've got a little dream here and I don't want anyone to break it'."

No, the above is not Martin Luther King on the moral values of equality.

Instead, it's Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook speaking about their tie against Albanian side KS Vllaznia Shkoder at the Showgrounds tomorrow, (7.0).

Ahead of their Europa League first qualifying round clash against obscure Albanian opposition, it's maybe a little difficult to feel the buzz sweeping around the western town this week from afar, much less put it into words.

Lucky then, that Cook is not lacking in enthusiasm himself.

"Everyone says to me about this professional thing, about saying 'we'll take each game at a time', it's a load of b****x," he said. "If you're in football and if you play for Sligo or you're in the Irish league, and you can't dream about playing Rapid Vienna, well, what's the point?"

"We're not saying we're going to play them (the Austrian side await in the next round), we're not being big headed. All you're saying is 'I've got a dream here'.

"If you do get through, your dream has come true, if you don't, well not many dreams do come true anyway. It's just our way of looking at it, we might be a bit different around here."

Certainly, as managers go, the Sligo Rovers boss tends to do things a little differently. And thus far it has worked.

Sligo play their first European game in 12 years tomorrow, they remain in the FAI Ford Cup and the EA Sports Cup -- all with one of the smallest squads in the League. But as far as big games go for the Bit O' Red, they do not come more crucial than this one at the Showgrounds -- and the Liverpudlian knows it.

"Of course, (if Sligo qualify for the next round) it's €100,000, it's another sell-out gate, it's probably live TV. And with all due respect to a club like ours, you don't scoff at money like that -- it's half your playing budget in one night."

That tight budget is one of Sligo's primary concerns in the build-up to the biggest game of their season. In their last League game against Bohemians they only fielded two substitutions, as over half of their 14 professionals were either injured or suspended.

But Cook says he is happy this week to have at least 11 players to work with. Rafael Cretaro and Danny Ventre will definitely return, while Shaun Holmes and Gavin Peers are doubtful but Stephen Parkhouse will not play.

But whatever happens tomorrow -- and in the return leg in Albania next Thursday -- Cook maintains that he is Sligo through and through and has no plans to move on despite being offered other high-profile managerial positions.

"You have to teach loyalty to your players, there's a right time to leave a club and a wrong time. I certainly won't be leaving this club in the foreseeable future."

I hope he tought about the pre-season shenagigans with the budget when he said that.
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Alright lads hope every in the Jinks Ave stand will help out with our tifo display tomorrow and get behind the team. It won't work without your help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Well lads, too lazy to read through the thread or look around, but is there still tickets available? I'm thinking of heading down to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    Well lads, too lazy to read through the thread or look around, but is there still tickets available? I'm thinking of heading down to it.
    There should be, although your better off ringing the office tomorrow morning, round 10 just incase. No point travelling if its sold-out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Midget Gem View Post

I will put the photos of the pitch and staduim up later.
    Any chance of putting up those photos midget
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers1 View Post
    There should be, although your better off ringing the office tomorrow morning, round 10 just incase. No point travelling if its sold-out.
    Alright thats grand, thanks.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast