Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: U16 Cup Farce

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

My understanding of Stella's position at the moment is that they will not be bullied by the other teams in the competition to play 1993's only.I hope they rethink this attitude as it is not a bulling tactic, it seems to me, that the clubs involved are taking a stance for what is right,has been right for many years and will continue to be right...players first.Has anyone heard the outcome of the Lifford v Stella game I understand that Lifford failed to turn up for a game which they did not know was on last Sunday??? Anyone know what has happened.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fair Play

I also have to take my hat off to Killalla, Raheny, Lifford, St Francis & Wilton who have joined the "boycott"...
    We in Ballyvary are not going to play under 15's in an under 14 competition, (for f***s sake). Great to see that (some of) the clubs have some cop on, decency and fair play. We put a vote to the Parents and Players and they are behind us, their only (and legitimate) concern is that our under 12 players playing for the under 14's will come up against an under 15 who could seriously injure a player of this age! It is sad that this has happened this year (or found out this year), there is alot of hurt and alot of the good will from host and visiting clubs which has and could be built up for the progression of the game will be lost.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    My understanding of Stella's position at the moment is that they will not be bullied by the other teams in the competition to play 1993's only.I hope they rethink this attitude as it is not a bulling tactic, it seems to me, that the clubs involved are taking a stance for what is right,has been right for many years and will continue to be right...players first.Has anyone heard the outcome of the Lifford v Stella game I understand that Lifford failed to turn up for a game which they did not know was on last Sunday??? Anyone know what has happened.

that's a laugh...normally it's Stella who don't turn up for matches...and still get the win! Happens too often to be errors.......needs to be addressed

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

U16 Cup Farce

Lifford appealed the fact that Stella Maris were claiming a walk over and thankfully common sense prevailed and the game has been resceduled to August 16th....that was the date originally set for the semi final so those dates have now been pushed back.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

16's Farce

I'm glad to see that Lifford have been given a chance at least to play this time....I wonder, though, how they will fare against Stella's Under 17's.I feel sorry for the remining teams who now have to reschedule their holidays again The FAI isssued clear dates at the start of the competition and also stated that all games had to be played on or before those dates.The original date for the semi's was 2nd August and the Final was on the 16th.They then moved the dates to the 16th and 30th. How do they expect parents and players to plan around the possibility of progression through the competition with a constantly moving dateline.I have spoken to a lot of managers and they feel that the competition is now a complete waste of time the FAI have ruined football in this country for hundreds of girls and their coaches who have planned for this year.Shame on the FAI and shame on Stella Maris who refused to play until the 16th..the tail is still wagging the dog.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Maybe, I am becoming computer illiterate but i've found it impossible to see what stage either the under 14 or under 16 competitions are at on the FAI site. There are no results, with just groups of pairings on each side of the draws to the final. It's like they are afraid to show (the teams who have progressed) how behind they are in the fixtures on the other side of the draw.

Will be hard to sell this competition next year, even if there is a defined age (Year), who is to say that cheating will not continue as there is never an audit of Match Cards or players.

I know there is no entry fee but Hospitality and buses cost money. Have to agree also on holidays, parents are now voting with their feet and just heading off. Also from feedback don't seem to care about the competition.

The abusers have been courted and accomodated, while the rule players have been cast aside and bullied into submission.

This Competition has to be broken into District, provincial and then National to work/monitor.

This cuts down on Travel Costs.
    Cuts down on overage players!
    Makes it easier to monitor at each stage.
    Also need for 4/5 neutral venues for games where away team have more than a two hour Journey.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

U16 Farce

I agree with you BBB the FAI website is useless,lacks credible information,is not up to date vague and misleading...reflects the organisation itself.However, the U14's semis are Ballyvarry against Longford and Colga vrs St.Josephs.I think the Ballyvarry game is on this weekend I'm not sure when the other game is being played.There seems to be confusion in the U16 Cup (Ahem!!) Stella have to play Lifford,so Raheny have to wait and god knows when they will get to play..I was told yesterday that St.Francis are playing Salthill this Sunday???? in the quarter final I thought Salthill were thrown out for not turning up to play Kilalla?? can anyone clear that one up Wilton await the winners of that game.Best of luck to all those playing this week.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    In other countries I have played and coached players have to bring an identity card from the league they play in to each game. These cards are presented to the referee by the club official for each player in matchday squad. The referee then visually identifies the player with the card provided in the changing room prior to the game.
    This may seem a bit over the top...however, it cuts out all the crap that we're seeing here.
    If you cannot present a card to the ref, you don't play.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Identity Card

I agree wholeheartedly with you T.O. I have long advocated the introduction of identity cards within the league structure here but met with strong resistance.The leagues should take the initiative this year and start the ball rolling.I understand the need under the child protection policy to safeguard the young players however schools are issuing I.D. cards and I cannot see any reason why we can't do the same.It would stop the embarrassment and upset for players being asked to sign pieces of paper at half time and also prevent the managers becoming confrontational over this as well.Can anyone give a reasonable reason why I.D. cards are a bad idea

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Identity cards are a great idea but we should note that it wouldn't have helped with the current debacle...to enforce age eligibility there must be a clear statement of the dates under which the age groups are played...at the start 2009 Umbro Challenge cup the rules had no such dates, simply put any girl or adult registered could have played in any age group...thats how open it was. The WFAI/FAI subsequently clarified the age eligibility half way through the competition (giving the advantage to the "cheats")....and guess what...wait for it...the new U11 Girls national competition has reverted to the "traditional" correct age eligibility....so all those girls playing in U12 leagues around the country don't have a national competition this year !!!
    and they have applied a different age eligibility to what they just weeks ago applied to U14 & U16. forgive me but this WFAI/FAI combo idiotic council/committee have lost the plot...incompetent is too kind a decriptor...I am beyond frustrated.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

16's Cup

I think we have to accept at this stage that nothing is going to change with the ruling body do we have any other option other than to shut up and put up???? Players and managers have been treated with contempt by the decision makers but we have no forum to express our disgust with how they are dealing with this issue and furthermore they are NOT willing to listen."Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cool

I disagree changeing age limits shows a total lack of power.Because rules are set to give everyone a degree of fairness.And clubs that set about breaking them and keep working behind closed doors untill they acheive this are the problem.The WFAI/FAI should show strength when this occurs and not weakness.Remember rules are a put together to be followed not broken. SO to show ultimate power all they have to do is nothing JUST FOLLOW THE RULES.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    LmKSnr I think the word we are all looking for is "spineless"....btw I just noted that Colga beat St Josephs in one of the U14 Semi finals yesterday. Can't say that displeases me given the way Joeys have approached this tournament at U14 & U16 level.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4goodsport View Post
    forgive me but this WFAI/FAI combo idiotic council/committee have lost the plot...incompetent is too kind a decriptor...I am beyond frustrated.
    I might be wrong but I'm fairly sure it is the executive and not the Council who would be responsible here. The executive are the committee members and the provincial reps, they meet with the council a couple of times a year and tell the council what they are doing the council is made up of league representatives, who as i said are informed by the executive whats been happening and whats planned and the council can question things and make suggestions and then bring the info back to their respective league.
    On the subject of ID cards I think that is a great Idea

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

U14 Cup

Congratulations to Colga and Longford Town on their qualification for this years Under 14 All Ireland Final.Have a great day out I hope St.Josephs see the error of their ways congratulations Joey's you screwed it up for every one this year.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

So we finally get the final of the under 14 Cup, three weeks after it should have been played! I have mixed feelings about the competition this year. Although my club Ballyvary Blue Bombers reached the semi final with REAL under 14 players, we were alway looking over our shoulders as to our opposition playing 'Legally' under 15 players. Our Management team were put in severly damaging situation of reaching the semi finals with our REAL under 14 team and were faced with dropping that whole squad, bar four players for the semi final. This put us in a situation of you are dammed if you do and you are definitely damned if you don't. Because of the uncertainty of the situation we did not promote or advertise the semi at home as how can you explain to the local community as to being outclassed in a semi final by players a year older (if they play such players)? Anyway we stuck with under 14 players as they got us this far and the parents respected us for putting players before the glory of the club. Anyone i have talked to about the situation thinks i am making it up. Look if i was looking from the outside i would think they were making it up! Personally, I know we did not have the squad/group to win competition, but a journey we make to this stage severly damaged relationships with trusting opposition teams and the FAI in general who sought to hide behind their read the rule book when you needed to clarify a situation. Time to go on a much needed holiday

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    BBB hats off to you for getting so far. Putting this debacle of a competition behind us...I am now wonder what the age eligibility will be for 2010....anyone know ? Will we be reverting back or will they apply the same rules again next year.....anyone with an inside track here...
    It would be nice to know prior to season kick off so that we can align accordingly...level the playing field again.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

U16's Semi

I just heard that Stella U17's are playing Raheny's U16's tomorrow in the last 4 of the competition.I know who I'm rooting for...........................

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I heard that result of the Stella v Raheny game was 3-1AET (1-1) and Stella played their "U17's squad" + Raheny played their "U16's squad".....

can someone confirm please....thx

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

U16's well sort of..

I can confirm that indeed Raheny did play only players born 1993 and younger i.e. 1994 and 95s in todays game.Stella Maris however played 7.. yes thats SEVEN players, born in 1992...poor consolation for the tear filled faces of the Raheny players who gave their all at the end of the game.It was a close game Raheny took the lead in the first half but Stella equalised.Nip and tuck for the rest of normal time however the physical strength of the older players showed in extra time and Stella ran out winners 3-1.........best of Luck to Stella in the Final...yeh rite

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast