Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nutsy on the look out for Scottish Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've no idea what I'm supposed to be bitter about. I don't think he's proven himself at all in a situation where he hasn't had substantial resources. Feel free to prove me wrong. Even at Derry, when he did have a decent budget, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory. Added to this, I dislike him because he's an antagonistic, mouthy and irritating little man.

Having an opinion on something doesn't always mean you are 'bitter' and 'bitter' is a phrase that is historically very easy to throw at people from Derry. Basically by branding us all bitter, it allows you to escape discussion on the matter at hand.
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Bohs have as good a chance as ever to cause a splash in the CL this year, I'd hate to see this disrupt everything.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcC View Post
    And its the manager that sets the budget and signs off on expenditure/signs the cheques is it?
    From reading foot.ie you'd think that Boards didn't exist and Managers controlled club finances all on their own....

Managers don't kill clubs - Boards do....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Bowsie View Post
    Comical It's quiet clearly bitterness, only bettered by the fact you genuinely don't realise that it is
    Ok, how should we feel towards Fenlon? Just gratified that he ever took the time to come and visit our little hovel? Thrilled that he just about managed to keep us out of the relegation zone? Stupified to even have such a legend in our unworthy little dugout?

Go on, how should we react to the fact that "the best manger in this league by a great distance" took over a club that had lost out on the treble by 8 goals and come within 2 goals of a UEFA Cup group spot and managed us to 3 wins in our first 15 league games of the season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post

Go on, how should we react to the fact that "the best manger in this league by a great distance" took over a club that had lost out on the treble by 8 goals and come within 2 goals of a UEFA Cup group spot and managed us to 3 wins in our first 15 league games of the season?
    Not to mention he bought all the gash this league had to offer. Actually do any of the players he bought for Derry currently play in the Premier Division?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants View Post
    Not to mention he bought all the gash this league had to offer. Actually do any of the players he bought for Derry currently play in the Premier Division?

Who were his major signings?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Who were his major signings?
    Dave Rogers (Shelbourne)- Left in June 2007 for Pats, recently sacked by Dundalk for indecent conduct.
    Karl Bermingham (Newry C) Left July 2007, now with First Division Monaghan United.
    Kyle Moran (Free) Released July 2007, currently with Pats, via Institute and Larne in the Irish League.
    Greg O'Halloran (Shelbourne) Made 6 appearances, currently with Cork City
    Peter Hynes (Newry C) Made 13 apps, 1 goal for Derry. Loaned to UCD in July 2007 making 8 appearances, now with First Division Shelbourne
    Alan Moore (Shelbourne) Joined Sligo Rovers in Feb 2008 but was released by them, now assistant manager at Pats
    Ola Tidman (Free) Conceded 4 goals at home to Cork on his debut, now playing for IF Limhamn Bunkeflo 2007 in the Swedish league 3rd Division. Notable for making just about every City supporter's "Worst XI." Signed after he impressed Fenlon when on trial at Derry.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 13/06/2009 at 1:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I've said it before and i'll say it again. Pat Fenlon is the best manger in this league by a great distance, with or without a cheque book.
    No arguments about his achievements with money but I don't see how you can say that he has proved himself without money to spend yet. When has he had a job without lots of money to spend? Derry is the only example I can think of and he didn't set the world alight there.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Kyle Moran (Free) Released July 2007, currently with Pats, via Institute and Larne in the Irish League.
    He played for Man United aswell don't ya know!
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    He played for Man United aswell don't ya know!
    ...before he came to Derry...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Meh it's late and I'm not arsed. Main point is he's sh!te.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Dave Rogers (Shelbourne)- Left in June 2007 for Pats, recently sacked by Dundalk for indecent conduct.
    Karl Bermingham (Newry C) Left July 2007, now with First Division Monaghan United.
    Greg O'Halloran (Shelbourne) Made 6 appearances, currently with Cork City
    Peter Hynes (Newry C) Made 13 apps, 1 goal for Derry. Loaned to UCD in July 2007 making 8 appearances, now with First Division Shelbourne
    Alan Moore (Shelbourne) Joined Sligo Rovers in Feb 2008 but was released by them, now assistant manager at Pats
    Ola Tidman (Free) Conceded 4 goals at home to Cork on his debut, now playing for IF Limhamn Bunkeflo 2007 in the Swedish league 3rd Division. Notable for making just about every City supporter's "Worst XI." Signed after he impressed Fenlon when on trial at Derry.
    That's very compelling evidence of the accusation of him signing a lot of dross!

To be fair Dave Rogers and Greg O'Halloran were competent with other clubs before and after Derry. Presumably Alan Moore was the most expensive flop?

How would people rate his signings at Bohemians? How many of last years double winning squad were already in place when Fenlon took over, and what were his signings?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Meh it's late and I'm not arsed. Main point is he's sh!te.
    Which of them?

Hardly Kyle "Pele" Moran?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    The one and only..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    isnt it just one of those cases, Derry fans, where things just went wrong, he wasnt suited to life up there, to your club and you lot werent suited to him? Its hard to deny that he's a very good manager - his record speaks for itself.

Isnt there someone else for you to hate yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    isnt it just one of those cases, Derry fans, where things just went wrong, he wasnt suited to life up there, to your club and you lot werent suited to him? Its hard to deny that he's a very good manager - his record speaks for itself.
    Stu, I don't deny his managerial record and I know the issue at Derry was a more complex one than, "He's a chequebook manager," I just resent the fact that any time a DCFC fan criticises him we're being 'bitter.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stu, I don't deny his managerial record and I know the issue at Derry was a more complex one than, "He's a chequebook manager," I just resent the fact that any time a DCFC fan criticises him we're being 'bitter.'
    Exactly. I don't think he's simply a chequebook manager either, but he has had one opportunity where there was at least a semblance of financial restraint shown by the board, and he messed it up. It's too early to judge if he has the ability to develop a young team or to take mediocre players and turn them into a winning team. To say he's the best manager with or without money in the league is obviously ridiculous.
    DCFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    He won a title, in his last season at Shels with players who pretty much hadn't been paid for half the season and while he, himself hadn't been paid for the same period of time. Now you can't tell me any manger can do that?

Either he's a great manager or it tells us something we always knew, Derry are massive bottlers.
    They always cheat, they always lie
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    He won a title, in his last season at Shels with players who pretty much hadn't been paid for half the season and while he, himself hadn't been paid for the same period of time. Now you can't tell me any manger can do that?
    No one's denying that but they were very good players that he initially spent a lot of money to attract to Shels. The question whether he can assemble a title winning (or however else you define successful) team without spending lots of money. He hasn't proven that yet.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either he's a great manager or it tells us something we always knew, Derry are massive bottlers.
    That says more about his and his players personality rather than his ability to manage without a huge budget.
    DCFC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast