Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spurs Irish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spurs Irish...

Looking at the premiership today and Spurs and really, our lads are doing fantastic there. Keanes been superb again this season, 8 goals for a mid table side when he's more of a deep player then a goal scorer and has been injured a bit is top drawer and once more, he played fantastic tonight. His touch and movement were always good but his vision really seems to be improving alot too. Carr, their captain, seemed to play well aswell

But the man who sticks out is, of all people, Gary Doherty

He's been playing in his best position, central defence, regularly recently and seems to be earning rave reviews. He seems to be winning the Spurs fans over and seing him with my own eyes today (Well, in highlight form) I was amzed with how well he played. He'll never be an international striker, but he could offer us alot in central defence as cover at least. I hope his form keeps up our defence is looking good right now anyway. So is he worth a look in central defence in our friendlys?

Interestingly Finnan also made his comeback as a sub today, more good news for us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not sure about the Doherty thing, don't think he is near the same class as O'Shea or Cunningham, who should be our 1st choice centre backs. Doherty would be murdered by a decent international striker in my opinion.

Good to see Robbie scoring, the most under-rated player in the premiership in my opinion.

... And Finnans back too, good ****, he's one of the few world class players in our squad and he should be starting games at either left back or right midfield.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Spurs were in the relegation zone two games ago.

Robbie Keane's done well but that's about it. Carr's had an average season and Docherty... is Docherty.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Carr might be playing averagely this season but would never be called an average player even if he hasn't had a great year by his standards.Remember that arsenal and man u are always watching him and Arsene Wenger has been quoted as saying that he would love to sign him many times.

As for Keano he is brilliant and I'd love to see him at one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the prem.A buddy of mine reckons that if Owen leaves liverpool then they might come in for Robbie.It could be a great move,spurs are pure sh!t.

I don't now about Docherty,he has never impressed me.I hope he can come on though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    watched the game yesterday, doherty was poor, he was carried by Gardner next to him. he made a number of mistakes which would have been punished by better opposition.
    he has no pace, is slow to turn, and doesn't even make up for that by reading the game well, and he seems to do one completely daft thing in his own penalty area every time he plays centre back, luckily for spurs his handball wasn't spotted yesterday.
    can't belive anybody would suggest he can do a job for us at CB.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Again, I only saw the highlights, but I can say that Docherty didn't particualrly impress me, it was Gardner who was making the last ditch takles and looking the more assured, as TikTok says Docherty was also should have cost Spurs a cert penalty.

Carr, was very avg (what little of him you saw on the highlights). I think he's been living off a reputation for the last couple of seasons.

Keane, wonderful touch for the penalty he won. Keeper got fairly close to it, but the power saw it in.

Finnan, great to see him back, Henchoz is not a right back, hope he can get a decent run of games to gether now.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There is good talk of Stephen Kelly also, there was a good piece in one of the Sunday papers yesterday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Originally posted by carnstien
    ... And Finnans back too, good ****, he's one of the few world class players in our squad and he should be starting games at either left back or right midfield.
    I don't know about that. He really looks poor going forward. I'd love to see him tried at left-back, but I don't think he has the instincts to be a winger. When he gets the ball forward, he just looks for a chance to pass it inside to another midfielder - Carr is at least dangerous going forward.

If Finnan gets a shot at left-back, does anyone think Kenna's worth a recall? He's been very solid for Birmingham this year.

Jeff Kenna Stats for Season
    Total Appearances 11 (10 starts)
    Substituted 3
    Goals 2
    Bookings 1
    Red Cards 0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Kenna is playing very well, but by his own admission (i'll post the link if i can find it) he's lost a few yards of pace. On top of that he probably won't be on the scene (at least at the required level) when the WC comes around, we might be better giving the games to a younger player.

at the mo' a better option than Ian Harte though.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Originally posted by Falconblade
    Carr's had an average season and Docherty... is Docherty.
    Actually Docherty is actually Doherty!
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by sadloserkid
    Yeah despite that,the English commentators still insist on calling him DoCCCherty so consistently,that now even our own people think it's his name!
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Yeah, but it's pronounced "Dock-erty" every week by English commentators. If I were Doherty, I'd have sent a very nasty letter to the Beeb, SKY and ITV asking for my identity back.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Originally posted by John83
    Yeah, but it's pronounced "Dock-erty" every week by English commentators.
    Sort of like Valgaeren's arrival at Celtic. After his first match he was asked.

"So then, is it Joos or Jus?"

Silence that seems to last forever before he replies...

"hoos"

Classic stuff, almost up there with Dundee United's then chairman McLean (?) thumping a reporter after questions about how long he could put up the manager's seeming incompetence.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry.

Anyway, I think it's a toss-up (not literally) between Finnan and Carr for RB. Finnan's the more consistent player but isn't great going forward, while Carr's a more exciting but erratic player.

Can either of them play on the left?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Finnan can. And you do him a diservice by saying he can't go forward, he's not as spectacular as Carr, but his delivery on both feet is top drawer and while it looks simple can be pretty lethal.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Finnan is a very solid right back,but I don't know how many games he will actually get for liverpool there because of Houllier's insistence on playing Biscan in every game,be it at CB,RB or CM.Also Jamie Carragher will be back soon and he would be first choice RB at Liverpool imo.

Maybe Houllier should try Finnan on the right wing now that Diouf has gone to the African Nations cup.He would deliver some great cross's into the box and this might be a good position for him in the Ireland team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by DolansWaistcoat
    Finnan is a very solid right back,but I don't know how many games he will actually get for liverpool there because of Houllier's insistence on playing Biscan in every game,be it at CB,RB or CM.Also Jamie Carragher will be back soon and he would be first choice RB at Liverpool imo.

Maybe Houllier should try Finnan on the right wing now that Diouf has gone to the African Nations cup.He would deliver some great cross's into the box and this might be a good position for him in the Ireland team.
    Thats a load of bull****. Finnan was bought as Liverpools 1st choice right back and WILL get his place back when he has recovered from injury. He is a vastly superior player to Henchoz or Carragher or anyone else they can put at right back.

Finnan AND Carr must be accomedated on the Irish team, be it at left back or right wing, they are both world class.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hold your horses there with your bullsh!t talk,alright buddy.

I meant Houllier would pick Carragher first choice not me,Finnan was bought as a right back yes,but not as first choice right back,that was and is jaime Carragher.Before Carragher was injured himself he was playing for Liverpool a lot more than Finnan so now that they are both coming back from injuries Finnan will suddenly become first choice,don't be stupid.

Henchoz is a centre back but Houllier will keep playing Biscan in the team as he has shown that by playing Biscan at centre half and putting Henchoz in at right back.
    Last edited by DolansWaistcoat; 20/01/2004 at 3:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    I agree. Finnan's a better rightback than Carragher, but Carragher is the established player there, and Finnan isn't garuanteed anything.

As for me doing Finnan a disservice by deriding his attacking play, I disagree. I don't think he's effective, quitely or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Finnan played nearly every match when he was fit and is first choice there, in fact Carragher played a bit on the left i think.

And Finnan can go forward, he's probably the best crosser we have and has set up a few goals for us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast