Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Foot.ie just becoming a talking shop?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Lads,

I think this is great as it will help to kick on for future development of the forum.

Would it be worthwhile taking a look at the format of the OWC forum that the Norn Iron lads have?

They have the forum and then it is subdivided into separate forums for each game, then one for atmosphere etc. I think this might help.

YBIG does a fantastic job, but I come here for my LOI news and then as an Ireland fan I tend to drift in here for Ireland chat etc.......
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    Is that another Forum paul?.......How does it compare?
    Its an inverted cork site, you wouldn't understand
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya does EG check this out, or would that go against his constitution i.e. FANS forum

EG our GR if you are reading please post/give advice. You like giving advice EG so nows your chance!

Without over populating the "fans forum" perhaps an "away trips" forum might help specifically away from the fans forum etc. I think OWC do it that way. So "cyprus away" thread in a forum called "away trips" might be an idea. Personally I like the way its done currently but if you want a forum that is specifically getting at what Neil is saying, doing something like that might filter out into exactly what people are looking for without trawling through different things.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 11/06/2009 at 2:01 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Without over populating the "fans forum" perhaps an "away trips" forum might help specifically away from the fans forum etc. I think OWC do it that way. So "cyprus away" in a forum called "away trips" might be an idea.
    Change "Fans' Forum" for "Away trips", and that's exactly what we do have. Separate forums for separate games would mean threads on everything and anything getting started, which would make it very awkward to look up. Again, no bothers splitting the Cyprus thread into separate threads on accommodation, flights, drink, towns, etc.

I've no bothers trying to change things around, but all we have so far is vague unsubstantiated moaning. Maybe this thread is also just becoming a talking shop, but unless there's positive suggestions, there's little that can be done.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 11/06/2009 at 1:55 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    no ye dont get me.

Have away trips as possibly a sub forum of Fans forum or another sub forum under ireland. not a forum for every trip.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=paul_oshea;1176263]no ye dont get me.

/QUOTE]

I would say you have to say that a good bit to be honest Paul.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Change "Fans' Forum" for "Away trips", and that's exactly what we do have. Separate forums for separate games would mean threads on everything and anything getting started, which would make it very awkward to look up. Again, no bothers splitting the Cyprus thread into separate threads on accommodation, flights, drink, towns, etc.

I've no bothers trying to change things around, but all we have so far is vague unsubstantiated moaning. Maybe this thread is also just becoming a talking shop, but unless there's positive suggestions, there's little that can be done.
    The TAMB doesnt have a bad set up format wise,does exactly what it says on the tin

General

TA specific
    Home Games
    Clubs

Away travel

General
    specific games

AOB

Football - non TA
    General
    tech support
    Photos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Have away trips as possibly a sub forum of Fans forum or another sub forum under ireland. not a forum for every trip.
    What would go in Fans' Forum so? Is there a need to split a quiet forum into two parts?

Also, irishfan86 says that the Fans' Forum gets lost as it's a sub-forum; this would be exemplified if it were a sub-sub-forum. Personally, I use the "New Posts" button, so that doesn't affect me, but just want to throw out the disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Newryrep View Post
    The TAMB doesnt have a bad set up format wise,does exactly what it says on the tin

General

TA specific
    Home Games
    Clubs
    I assume this corresponds to Ireland, Fans' Forum (maybe? Could start a thread for each home game?) and Premier and First Divisions?

Away travel

General
    specific games
    Both these are included under our Fans' Forum.

AOB

Football - non TA
    General
    tech support
    Photos
    This then constitues World football, Off Topic, Support, etc.

Different names, but broadly speaking the same layout?

How does the content on TA differ to here? Or what would it be hoped be achieved by the changes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I personally do not think it has anything to do with the format of the fans forum to be honest. If anything actually represents the issue it is the fact that the discussion has become about the format. This is not a technical issue it is a cultural one that I do not think can be fixed in a quick fix. The issue can be as simple that the culture on the site over the last while has been only to talk about the tactics of the games, and not get into actually doing things and organising funny t shirts, buses to games, taxis at airports. Flags etc. putting up pictures of the away matches. Basically creating a community of supporters. This has dwained and it was dwaining before YBIG was there, in fact I think YBIG just tapped in to this.

This is a members issue as much as anything.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Fair enough so; cheers for that.

What I'll do anyway is split the Cyprus thread into smaller, topic specific chunks; I think it'd work well.

If it's a members issue, the best thing you - or anyone - can do is start a few threads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair enough so; cheers for that.

What I'll do anyway is split the Cyprus thread into smaller, topic specific chunks; I think it'd work well.

If it's a members issue, the best thing you - or anyone - can do is start a few threads.
    I do my best pineapple. One of the best and most rewarding things I have done was organise the bus in Montenegro and the amount of good people I met from that was great. Met lots of them on subsequent trips and anybody who was on the bus was sound and we had a good laugh.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    What would go in Fans' Forum so? .....

How does the content on TA differ to here? Or what would it be hoped be achieved by the changes?
    see link below, i might of explained it better

http://taboard.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I do my best pineapple..
    Have to agree with this Neil.

To be fair, and this is from someone who just browses this forum and doesnt travel (obviously) to watch the team play - Neil (at least i think it was you) tried to start a thread on the funniest away trip stories which i thought was a brilliant idea and was looking forward to hearing all the stories from down through the years. I think it made 2 pages, of which 5-6 posts must have been Neil trying to encourage people to post their stories and referring to the same thread over on ybig. It made me go and look (i had never visited the site before) and the difference in dynamics between the two was worlds apart. There must have been 16-17 pages of stories and accusations and retorts, it was hilarious.

Whereas foot.ie looks (a lot) better and is more informative, there seems to be a real camraderie and spirit over on ybig. I admire what you tried to do Neil but i think the result speaks volumes.

In short, i think it boils down to the fans that each site has attracted as opposed to the structure or otherwise of each site. Perhaps this site is over-moderated and that has driven some of the more "care-free" or "colourful" posters away. Its all just my opinion though i do agree that there is no apparent quick fix to the problems raised here.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerMilla View Post
    lots of LOI fans on ybig benno , and plenty focus on it in the fanzine , interview with richie sadlier in the next issue !
    From having a quick glance at the YBIG forum, it seems the LOI forum over there is extremely quiet. Foot.ie is primarily a LOI site. It suits me to just come in here to the Ireland section and chat about a few topics relating to the national team now and again. Personally, I don't see the need for endless topics on away Ireland games, as I don't go to any.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    id just like to add that perhaps splitting the fans forum and ireland forum might be a good place to start.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Fans' Forum and the Ireland are already split. That's kind of why we have a Fans' Forum and an Ireland forum.

If you mean make one not a sub-forum of the other, dahamsta can arrange that, but I don't see how it'll make much difference. Seems to me to make sense that travelling to games, making flags, meeting up, etc, should be a subsection of the national team in general.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Got we track sided?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Fans' Forum and the Ireland are already split. That's kind of why we have a Fans' Forum and an Ireland forum.
    If you mean make one not a sub-forum of the other, dahamsta can arrange that, but I don't see how it'll make much difference. Seems to me to make sense that travelling to games, making flags, meeting up, etc, should be a subsection of the national team in general.
    i think it was obvious what i meant. The fans forum might attract more traffic if it was seperate and apart from the ireland forum but both came under the "Ireland Section". I dont know if it will make a difference but, as i said, it might. It also might benefit from looser moderation.

Otherwise, as stated, it just boils down to the type of poster/fan attracted by foot.ie in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Have to agree with this Neil.

To be fair, and this is from someone who just browses this forum and doesnt travel (obviously) to watch the team play - Neil (at least i think it was you) tried to start a thread on the funniest away trip stories which i thought was a brilliant idea and was looking forward to hearing all the stories from down through the years. I think it made 2 pages, of which 5-6 posts must have been Neil trying to encourage people to post their stories and referring to the same thread over on ybig. It made me go and look (i had never visited the site before) and the difference in dynamics between the two was worlds apart. There must have been 16-17 pages of stories and accusations and retorts, it was hilarious.

Whereas foot.ie looks (a lot) better and is more informative, there seems to be a real camraderie and spirit over on ybig. I admire what you tried to do Neil but i think the result speaks volumes.

In short, i think it boils down to the fans that each site has attracted as opposed to the structure or otherwise of each site. Perhaps this site is over-moderated and that has driven some of the more "care-free" or "colourful" posters away. Its all just my opinion though i do agree that there is no apparent quick fix to the problems raised here.
    Yeah tht was me and I agree with your post above esp the last bit. The funny thing is there is an awful lot of crossover and there is not loads on YBIG that do not have foot.ie accounts as far as I can see.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 11/06/2009 at 3:34 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Got we track sided?!
    how so, Paul? I think things might have improved markedly since i took it upon myself to rescue the fans forum...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast