Page 133 of 257 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    How is Hale doing for Galway, out of interest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Not sure why we would bother. I really don't think we are that badly stuck.
    Once you get him in the system, he might stick with us. We do it with random English lads all the time, some of whom probably never set foot on the island.

Hale has been a fantastic addition. He was undoubtedly MotM last night, always wanting the ball, spraying passes all over the park, loves a tackle too.
    I'm surprised someone in England didn't pick him up when he was released by Villa.
    We'll do well to hang onto him even if we manage to stay up.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Once you get him in the system, he might stick with us. We do it with random English lads all the time, some of whom probably never set foot on the island.

Hale has been a fantastic addition. He was undoubtedly MotM last night, always wanting the ball, spraying passes all over the park, loves a tackle too.
    I'm surprised someone in England didn't pick him up when he was released by Villa.
    We'll do well to hang onto him even if we manage to stay up.
    Brilliant. Delighted to hear that. Sounds like a lad with a future. It seemed he took the decision to return to Ireland quite quickly and didn't want to wait out the summer transfer window for an English lower league side. Have to respect that. Hopefully himself and his brother push on.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Marcus McGuane made his first team debut for Arsenal v Bate Borisov coming on with 10 minutes to go. Can play right back, centre back but mainly in the defensive midfield position. Played for Ireland U17 when he was known as Marcus Agyei-Tabi before then getting capped by England U18.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think that means he's tied to England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I don't think under-18 counts as it's not competitive action?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think that means he's tied to England.
    I looked into it a little more and it seems you are correct. Oh well..
    “Of course, we’re disappointed to lose him but another player took his place for the first phase of European qualifiers in September and we progressed to the elite phase early in the new year.” As the FAI have already signed FIFA’s release form, Agyei-Tabi is now tied to England for the rest of his career.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...nd-366064.html
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    [QUOTE=TrapAPony;1937565]I looked into it a little more and it seems you are correct. Oh well..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...nd-366064.html[/QUOTE

Surely if he has a different name now he must be still eligible?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I thought you could switch twice? Like say Patrick Bamford played for us, then England, but is still eligible to switch back to us?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Where's DannyInvincible when you need him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well it's just over an hour since I asked the question, so I'd imagine he's still typing.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I thought you could switch twice? Like say Patrick Bamford played for us, then England, but is still eligible to switch back to us?
    I could be wrong, but Bamford didn't play a competitive international for us at underage level, so that probably comes into play? McGuane (or Agyei-Tabi as he was known at the time) played for us in the 2015 Under 17 UEFA Championships, and has played competitive games for England's underage sides.
    Ironically enough, he played against England in the tournament: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/match/23/2015/2016450
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    No, you can only (formally/officially) switch once. See article 8 on pages 71-72 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes which governs the procedure: http://resources.fifa.com/mm/documen...al.pdf#page=73

McGuane is now irreversibly tied to England as he played for us competitively and his request to switch from the FAI to the FA was processed and formally approved by FIFA. If he hadn't made a formal request to switch that was approved by FIFA, however, and played for England in some non-competitive under-age games (not administered by FIFA), he'd still be available to "come back" to us.

When competitive games for an association have preceded a formal switch request, you can only switch once. If only friendlies are involved, however, it's possible for players to "switch" back and forth as they wish; friendly games are not administered by FIFA so the eligibility regulations don't apply. When I say "switch" in this latter context of moving back and forth, it's not a formal or official switch and doesn't entail FIFA's Players' Status Committee processing any player request.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just on Bamford; tets is correct. Bamford's solitary appearance for us was at under-18 level, but it was not competitive, as far as I know. As far as FIFA are concerned, this game may as well not exist for eligibility purposes. He has played competitively for England though at under-age level, so if he wishes to play competitively for us in future, he'll first have to lodge an official request with FIFA and have that approved.

Some further info on the nature of the switch process here: http://foot.ie/threads/119079-Potent...=1#post1853654

We (in the eligibility thread) thought that playing in a competitive fixture for a second association after having played competitively (at under-age) for an original association was what effected a switch or tied a player to his new association, but I understand now that this most likely isn't correct. I used to think a player might still be able to change his mind and return to play competitively for his original association after having had a switch-request to FIFA approved, so long as he hadn't already played competitively for his once-intended new association.

My thinking now, however, is that once the request to switch is made and processed, a player is tied to his new association, even if he never plays competitively for them. This would be in line with the literal wording of the relevant regulation - that being article 8.1, which states that a player "may, only once, request to change the association for which he is eligible to play international matches" - and would also appear to be confirmed by words from FAI sources quoted or paraphrased in the media in relation to Grealish and McGuane after they made their requests.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It would be interesting if Bamford could return to his Championship POTY form. I still think he'd be very interested in declaring for us but his form doesn't merit the discussion at the moment. He's lost a couple of valuable years through career choices which haven't worked out for him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Seen this on F365

"Kyle Naughton (Swansea): The international ship has probably sailed for the 28-year-old ex-Under-21. Unless Republic of Ireland come calling."

Is there still potential?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Is there still potential?
    Who knows, there is a window on these things where they can be credible however at 28 its more in the opportunist pi*stake zone for me.

In terms of potential I would be more interested if seeing if Matt Doherty could fulfill his on the international stage than Naughton, lots younger and remains a key part of the Wolves side despite heavy the spending there. He should have been playing for us long ago IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Sky commentator on the Armenia vs Poland game just said James Tarkowski is qualified to play for England, Ireland & Poland.
    Anyone know more?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Wiki says England and Poland. That his paternal granny was only of Irish descent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Sky commentator on the Armenia vs Poland game just said James Tarkowski is qualified to play for England, Ireland & Poland.
    Anyone know more?
    Tarkowski was born and bred in Manchester. According to Wikipedia:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Tarkowski's paternal grandfather left Poland for England after the Second World War, and married a woman of Irish descent. Tarkowski is therefore eligible for both the English and Polish national teams.
    Assuming the info is correct, the Irish connection is probably too distant if his grandmother was only of Irish descent.