Thanked in
    39 Posts

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38222401.html

Strong words from Robbie. And very strong words on Luca Connell- "I'm telling you tight now, he'll play for us" and "I guarantee you 100% he is desperate to play for Ireland."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38222401.html

Strong words from Robbie. And very strong words on Luca Connell- "I'm telling you tight now, he'll play for us" and "I guarantee you 100% he is desperate to play for Ireland."
    He is right about the chasing it's not the way to do business.

're luca. Once someone says "100%" in any debate. I start to lose confidence in their views

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He is right about the chasing it's not the way to do business.

're luca. Once someone says "100%" in any debate. I start to lose confidence in their views
    That's why I always say 110%

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...059047425?s=19
    FAI leaving it all on the line for Kavanagh and his boy. Love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I haven't heard such bullishness since, well...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Based on current form Curtis Davies would be a nice addition.
    Naughton is a right back and not in the league of Coleman but maybe could do a job at left full?
    Wickham i don't rate and we've loads of decent but not great strikers
    Noble - better than Gibson/McCarhty? Not really
    Harry Kane - don't know enough about him but stats are underwhelming
    Bamford looks like a rising star so he would be one to chase, especially since he represented us before
    Redmond - he's under Chris Hughton so very possible he could make a move
    The Keanes - i really think they're set on England. There was plenty of furore before so i don't see either of them coming to us
    Callum McManaman: Same story as Kane for me
    That Harry Kane's stats are awful

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    That Harry Kane's stats are awful
    And of the Keanes that were set on England, we ended up with Will.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    https://ulsterherald.com/2019/06/22/...l-bound-conor/

Could be the next border dispute😀

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Louie Barry offered a three year contract by West Brom on his sixteenth birthday, amid rumours of a move to Barcelona: https://www.skysports.com/football/n...elona-interest
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    https://ulsterherald.com/2019/06/22/...l-bound-conor/

Could be the next border dispute😀
    I saw this lad at the victory shield game in Kerry this year. An excellent box to box midfielder. Interestingly he was one of 3 lads in that starting team that night who had their heads bowed and looked very uneasy during God savd the queen. The big centre half also mentioned in that article was another

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Louie Barry offered a three year contract by West Brom on his sixteenth birthday, amid rumours of a move to Barcelona: https://www.skysports.com/football/n...elona-interest
    It doesn't seem a great deal if they are trying to kerl him surely a 4 year deal to take him up to 21 wouldn't break the bank if u are trying to fend off foreign sides

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    There used to be quite specific regulations regarding contracts for young players at different ages. Both minimum and maximum.

A few years ago, you could only offer a maximum of 3 years at 16. Equally there are certain moments where clubs had to offer a minimum of 2 years (I think possibly after the player has graduated u18).

Not sure the regulations right now but I imagine it’s not too far off that

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I saw this lad at the victory shield game in Kerry this year. An excellent box to box midfielder. Interestingly he was one of 3 lads in that starting team that night who had their heads bowed and looked very uneasy during God savd the queen. The big centre half also mentioned in that article was another
    Good to hear. He would seem to be a top talent so hopefully we court him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Another one off to the graveyard of Irish footballing talent that is Liverpool FC though. Unless he's unbelievably good he hasn't a hope, and even if he is the odds will be against him there.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Another one off to the graveyard of Irish footballing talent that is Liverpool FC though. Unless he's unbelievably good he hasn't a hope, and even if he is the odds will be against him there.
    The footballing education he would get there is second to none and should make him a better player. Masterson has been linked with some good clubs so there is a way back for players. Players should be realistic of this fact when signing for clubs like city or liverpool.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

I think if you're going to a Top 6 club, you know you've got about a 1/25 to 1/50 chance of making the breakthrough at that club. They all tend to promote a not-already-established young player to the first team about once every a year or once every two years - but it certainly doesn’t stop the player from developing into a top footballer.

Over the 7 or 8 years, Liverpool have brought through the likes of Spearing (55 app), Sterling (129), Ibe (58), Kelly (62), Wisdom (22), Suso (21), Flanagan (51), Gomez (66) and Alexander-Arnold (85).

United have had the likes of Rashford, Lingaard, McTominey, Perreira, Fosuh-Mensah is borderline.

City have had Foden, Zinchenko, Iheanacho, Boyata (a bit borderline)…

Chelsea with Loftus-Cheek, Christiansen, Hudson-Odoi (on his way), Ampadu (on his way), Ake

Arsenal with Bellerin, Iwobi, Maitland-Niles, Gnabry,

Spurs: Kane, Winks, Alli, Winks, Walker Peters (on his way), Bentlaleb, Carroll.

Plenty of our best young players have joined top 6 sides and probably no one has broken through since maybe Darron Gibson - at Liverpool it was probably Darren Potter, but he was scouse born so that’s a little different.

Liverpool probably had quantity over quality. Of the previous batch, Cleary could probably still end up at a high high level. Trying to think who they had: Cleary, O’Hanlon, Mikey Collins, Jimmy Ryan, Joe Rafferty - no real standouts. If I think of the real standout underage players joining big six clubs, I’d look at Robbie Brady at United, Conor Clifford at Chelsea, Jack Byrne at City, Arsenal probably haven’t had a ‘can’t miss’ talent since Anto Stokes (unless Dan Crowley counts?) and Troy Parrott is probably the only Spurs player. Genuinely don’t think Liverpool have had a player of their ability who ‘should’ have really made it to an elite level since Joxer. They’ve perhaps had more youth players within the system but less of the top ones.

I suppose you could argue that player X (let’s say Alex O’Hanlon) was the best U15 when he went across and Liverpool failed to truly develop that talent so he wasn’t standout by 17 or 18 - but I’m not sure that argument holds up.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think if you're going to a Top 6 club, you know you've got about a 1/25 to 1/50 chance of making the breakthrough at that club. They all tend to promote a not-already-established young player to the first team about once every a year or once every two years - but it certainly doesn’t stop the player from developing into a top footballer.

Over the 7 or 8 years, Liverpool have brought through the likes of Spearing (55 app), Sterling (129), Ibe (58), Kelly (62), Wisdom (22), Suso (21), Flanagan (51), Gomez (66) and Alexander-Arnold (85).

United have had the likes of Rashford, Lingaard, McTominey, Perreira, Fosuh-Mensah is borderline.

City have had Foden, Zinchenko, Iheanacho, Boyata (a bit borderline)…

Chelsea with Loftus-Cheek, Christiansen, Hudson-Odoi (on his way), Ampadu (on his way), Ake

Arsenal with Bellerin, Iwobi, Maitland-Niles, Gnabry,

Spurs: Kane, Winks, Alli, Winks, Walker Peters (on his way), Bentlaleb, Carroll.

Plenty of our best young players have joined top 6 sides and probably no one has broken through since maybe Darron Gibson - at Liverpool it was probably Darren Potter, but he was scouse born so that’s a little different.

Liverpool probably had quantity over quality. Of the previous batch, Cleary could probably still end up at a high high level. Trying to think who they had: Cleary, O’Hanlon, Mikey Collins, Jimmy Ryan, Joe Rafferty - no real standouts. If I think of the real standout underage players joining big six clubs, I’d look at Robbie Brady at United, Conor Clifford at Chelsea, Jack Byrne at City, Arsenal probably haven’t had a ‘can’t miss’ talent since Anto Stokes (unless Dan Crowley counts?) and Troy Parrott is probably the only Spurs player. Genuinely don’t think Liverpool have had a player of their ability who ‘should’ have really made it to an elite level since Joxer. They’ve perhaps had more youth players within the system but less of the top ones.

I suppose you could argue that player X (let’s say Alex O’Hanlon) was the best U15 when he went across and Liverpool failed to truly develop that talent so he wasn’t standout by 17 or 18 - but I’m not sure that argument holds up.

If my kid can play he is going to a championship club that can guarantee he can complete his leaving cert in England along with playing football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    If my kid can play he is going to a championship club that can guarantee he can complete his leaving cert in England along with playing football.
    He can complete his leaving cert in Ireland?

I know if either of my boys end up good enough, I'd prefer them to stay home and gain their football education here while completing their schooling at home.

It's fast becoming a much better option for young players.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Not to mind leaving cert- I'm liking a trend of lads finishing University before moving on. Robbie Benson tried it and it didn't necessarily work for him. Farrugia and Scales might manage it though. Hope this catches on.