Page 216 of 257 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    We had better players then delap at the time or at least arguably better player anyway

It was people like Wes been looked over, that was criminal

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Ryan Johansson interview here. He says it's still all up in the air and he's unsure if he's eligible for Ireland and most importantly no final papers filed or anything.

Under the new rule, he's now eligible of Ireland is that correct? Anyway to get this to someone in the FAI to get them to get the ball rolling again to see where we are?

Discussion starts at 8:25, but whole interview is great. Seems like a good lad. Interestingly too, he doesn't speak fluent Swedish.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/02/2021 at 1:42 PM. Reason: Embedded video

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=rJdzHJttZi0

Ryan Johansson interview here. He says it's still all up in the air and he's unsure if he's eligible for Ireland and most importantly no final papers filed or anything.

Under the new rule, he's now eligible of Ireland is that correct? Anyway to get this to someone in the FAI to get them to get the ball rolling again to see where we are?

Discussion starts at 8:25, but whole interview is great. Seems like a good lad. Interestingly too, he doesn't speak fluent Swedish.
    That's really interesting. We know he was close to committing to us but couldn't due to spanner that was thrown into the works. He's very clear in saying he's not finalized a switch to any nation and would happily represent all three if he could. You would really hope that if his eligibility issues were resolved for us then we would be the most likely. That said, Luxembourg are really starting to improve. They have a squad comprising of players in the Bundesliga, 2. Bundesliga and top divisions in Belgium, Portugal and Ukraine.

All in all, I'm just relieved that he hasn't completed the switch to Sweden and we are still in the race.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He is eligible now. He wasn't eligible the last time he tried to pursue the paperwork. I haven't heard much about him in the last year of so, possibly because he has been considered to be Swedish now, so no focus on him from Irish Abroad, Kenny's Kids etc. which is understandable. I take it he isn't anywhere near the Sevilla first team? Reasonable to suggest that Luxembourg might be a more realistic option in terms of senior caps as they would be considered the weakest of the three sides he has been linked to? He's also eligible for England I think.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    He is eligible now. He wasn't eligible the last time he tried to pursue the paperwork. I haven't heard much about him in the last year of so, possibly because he has been considered to be Swedish now, so no focus on him from Irish Abroad, Kenny's Kids etc. which is understandable. I take it he isn't anywhere near the Sevilla first team? Reasonable to suggest that Luxembourg might be a more realistic option in terms of senior caps as they would be considered the weakest of the three sides he has been linked to? He's also eligible for England I think.
    Are you absolutely sure he is eligible now because the lad himself isn't even sure?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Well I can only go off the FIFA document that was published a few months ago, but it confirmed that a player no longer needs to have already held the nationality they're looking to change to (Ireland) at the time they represented their previous nation (Luxembourg) at underage level. So the bit of fine print that snookered him before has been removed.

That means that as long as he hasn't formally switched to Sweden he should be fine to switch to us. But only if he actually wants to obviously. He seemed unsure in that interview.

There might be an argument in Ryan's case that he should just skip underage football altogether and commit to one country when he's older. The next move he makes is important because there's no going back after that. I'd hate to see him commit to us or Sweden only for it to turn out he's not good enough for that level but would have been good enough for Luxembourg. He seems like a nice lad and you'd kind of just want him to do well either way. The fact that Ireland, Sweden and Luxembourg have all ended up in the same qualifying group again for the Under 21s won't be making this any easier for him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    "That means that as long as he hasn't formally switched to Sweden"

I thought he had switched???

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He says in the video a few posts up that he hasn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    "That means that as long as he hasn't formally switched to Sweden"

I thought he had switched???
    He certainly said he was going to play for Sweden, but he might not have completed the paperwork yet. The doubts about his eligibility arose around August 2019 - https://www.the42.ie/ryan-johansson-...69836-Aug2019/ - but Sweden's U21s have only played six times since then due to the pandemic, and he hasn't be included in any of the squads that I can find.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    so the question now is, why doesn't he jump on board? get filing those docs etc

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    The optimist in me is screaming that he must be assessing the rule change and its impact on his eligibility for Ireland and that if he can resolve this and establish his eligibility that he will re-commence the process of getting on board with us.

That is all optimistic. But I am drawing from the fact that it was more or less announced that he would be commencing the process of throwing his lot in with Sweden but he has seemingly rowed back from that per the video. That is interesting.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He certainly said he was going to play for Sweden, but he might not have completed the paperwork yet. The doubts about his eligibility arose around August 2019 - https://www.the42.ie/ryan-johansson-...69836-Aug2019/ - but Sweden's U21s have only played six times since then due to the pandemic, and he hasn't be included in any of the squads that I can find.
    He said in the video today that he hasn't done any paperwork for switching and was undecided. The only country he can play for now without paperwork is Luxembourg and even if he does play with them, he can have his one switch at a later date.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Is he playing at all do we know? And if so how is he doing

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I had a look yesterday - he was a regular for Sevilla B before Christmas. They play in the Spanish third tier, which has about a hundred teams in it and is divided up regionally. He got injured in December and has been out since.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Liam Hughes on bench for Liverpool ex Celtic u21 for the north, gettable surely

18. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I'm not sure why he'd want to make the switch. We have Kelleher (22) and Bazunu (19) just coming into the first team picture.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    It was a little bit tongue in cheek to be honest just because he was named on their bench I know nothing about him really and was going basically on a name as you say we have a couole if potentially very fine keepers of a similar age profile who on the face of it are streets ahead if him anyway.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Rumblings Nathan Redmond is one of many English players declaring for Jamaica.

https://twitter.com/chrisbowerbank/s...tional-team%2F

I suppose he doesn't really care about who he plays with as long as there's a chance at a World Cup, which Jamaica definitely do. More so than us anyway.

All of them would be a great coup for Jamaica. Although I can't see them travelling half way around to world to play in games outside the WC window.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    What a whore. I'm so happy he didnt play for us

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post