Page 194 of 257 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Any info on defender Jason Sean McCarthy, born in England, probably leaving Millwall during the summer?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Kieran Dowell joins Norwich permanently from Everton, 22 now. Three year deal. Grandparents according to WiKi.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Kieran Dowell joins Norwich permanently from Everton, 22 now. Three year deal. Grandparents according to WiKi.
    has a lot of appearances for England at underage level - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kieran...ational_career - I know Clarke did too, but the connection he had through his parents was much closer
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    has a lot of appearances for England at underage level - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kieran...ational_career - I know Clarke did too, but the connection he had through his parents was much closer
    Callum Robinson though, big underage England career through the age groups & one grandparent.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    The Callum Robinson thing is actually pretty funny, totally illegal player who will go on to get 30+caps

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Definitely not the first and most hopefully not the last that was and will be able to bypass that rubbish rule.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The Callum Robinson thing is actually pretty funny, totally illegal player who will go on to get 30+caps
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Definitely not the first and most hopefully not the last that was and will be able to bypass that rubbish rule.
    Yeah it's ridiculous - should be "you can either switch to a country you qualify for or not" - not "you can switch to a country you qualify for if you were already half-planning for the eventuality while playing for your original country and if you don't pre-plan you can't... well if your original country objects anyway... if they don't then you can... unless the original country of another player who wanted to switch objects to the switch around the same time you signal your intention to switch, drawing attention to the rule, in which case you may not be able to even if there's no objection from your originating country's FA, but who knows for certain?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Kalvin Phillips of Leeds is eligible for Ireland. I saw a tweet from his mother saying that he had an Irish grandparent. He would be a very decent acquisition if we could entice him. Any FAI people here to examine this further?

Also, does anyone know if 18 year old Aaron Hickey who is left back for Hearts is eligible. Highly rated and currently linked to Aston Villa, Bologna, Celtic and Bayern Munich in this transfer window?
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 03/08/2020 at 7:54 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Yeah it's ridiculous - should be "you can either switch to a country you qualify for or not" - not "you can switch to a country you qualify for if you were already half-planning for the eventuality while playing for your original country and if you don't pre-plan you can't... well if your original country objects anyway... if they don't then you can... unless the original country of another player who wanted to switch objects to the switch around the same time you signal your intention to switch, drawing attention to the rule, in which case you may not be able to even if there's no objection from your originating country's FA, but who knows for certain?
    I don't dissagree with your general sentiment, but changing the wording to 'be allowed to switch to a country you qualify for' still would not allow a player like Dan Crowley or Dowell to switch. Reason is, a foreign born player with only grandparent/s connection is not qualified to play for Ireland until he/she actually acquires Irish nationality.

How about, a player (who has not yet played at A level competitive) be allowed to switch to the association of another country of which he is entitled to hold nationality of via parent/grandparent /residency 5 years?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Kalvin Phillips of Leeds is eligible for Ireland. I saw a tweet from his mother saying that he had an Irish grandparent. He would be a very decent acquisition if we could entice him. Any FAI people here to examine this further?

Also, does anyone know if 18 year old Aaron Hickey who is left back for Hearts is eligible. Highly rated and currently linked to Aston Villa, Bologna, Celtic and Bayern Munich in this transfer window?
    Not sure on Hickey but I do know he is from Glasgow and is a Celtic supporter and spent time on their books. That is a start.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    26-year-old Sean Raggett has joined Portsmouth on a two-year deal, as per The News, Portsmouth.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post

Re kalvin phillips. Is there any further proof of his eligibility? He would be a find

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Re kalvin phillips. Is there any further proof of his eligibility? He would be a find
    This is his mother tweeting apparently.
    https://twitter.com/etfonehome100/st...53116814008320

FAI should at least give him a shout to see if it's true and get him a passport sorted if so. He hasn't played international football of any level to date.

Would be a non-runner I reckon anyway because he's definitely good enough to play for England in a position they're weak at.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    This is his mother tweeting apparently.
    https://twitter.com/etfonehome100/st...53116814008320

FAI should at least give him a shout to see if it's true and get him a passport sorted if so. He hasn't played international football of any level to date.

Would be a non-runner I reckon anyway because he's definitely good enough to play for England in a position they're weak at.
    If he is eligible for a passport ~ why not get it sorted if he is amenable !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Jamaica are apparently pursuing Phillips. Definitely the time for the FAI to chance their arm and give him a shout!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Mikey Johnston may declare for Ireland soon

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I see liverpool are after Jamal Lewis of Norwich. Am i right in saying he would have qualified for us through his belfast born mum( good Friday agreement)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I see liverpool are after Jamal Lewis of Norwich. Am i right in saying he would have qualified for us through his belfast born mum( good Friday agreement)?
    Jamal Piaras Lewis would suggest his mother might have preferred he did.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The GFA has feic all to do with his mother being an Irish national from birth and as a consequence, Jamal's eligibility for Ireland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Mikey Johnston may declare for Ireland soon
    Is there a source on that because I can't see anything?

Also he's played for Scotland u21s and qualifies via grandparents, so he could fall victim to the Johansson ruling.