Page 169 of 257 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Don't know if he was or wasn't -just wanted to judge the enthusiasm of the posters for a potential call up for young Danny.
    In 3 minutes...on a Sunday?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Thats great news! Hopefully he is named in the next squad and any nessasary paperwork wont delay things
    Yes that is great news delighted thought he was been ignored which would be a shame. Maybe he will be in squad in few weeks so

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    I'm just hoping upon hope that the lad that gets in the next squad.
    Also hoping to spark a debate about him so that Mick doesn't forget him.
    Far as I can see, he is the most creative talent around available to Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    I'm just hoping upon hope that the lad that gets in the next squad.
    Also hoping to spark a debate about him so that Mick doesn't forget him.
    Far as I can see, he is the most creative talent around available to Ireland.
    I doubt Mick follows foot.ie mark.

Anyway...given both his ability and stated desire to play for us, I'm pretty confident that he'll be included. It would be bizarre, and negligent, if he isn't.
    Last edited by The Fly; 10/02/2019 at 11:42 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Mick was at the game.
    Don't know if he was or wasn't -just wanted to judge the enthusiasm of the posters for a potential call up for young Danny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Thats great news! Hopefully he is named in the next squad and any nessasary paperwork wont delay things
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Yes that is great news delighted thought he was been ignored which would be a shame. Maybe he will be in squad in few weeks so
    OK, I just want to nip some potential burgeoning confusion in the bud here Diggs and Liamoo - there is no indication Mick was at the game - Mark12345 just said that to "judge the enthusiasm... for a call-up... " - so as far as I can see there's no actual reason to believe that Crowley will be in the squad against Gibraltar.

As to whether he should be... well... he does seem to be a talented youngster who's having a pretty good season at a middling Eredivisie side. And, yes, we could do with a creative midfield player. But remember also that our next five games are all competitive - there's no friendlies available for blooding players in before the Bulgaria game in September (although the two Gibraltar games could give us an opportunity for limited experimentation). Plus if we assume eight midfielders in the squad and no injuries, then the most likely octet would be McCarthy, Brady, Hendrick, Arter, McClean, O'Dowda, Browne and one from Hourihane, Horgan, Judge and Williams, with Judge in particular being a more experienced creative midfield option. And if Rice makes himself available, that's another option in midfield - and Mick may choose to try to accommodate our three Premier League right-backs by moving one of them further forward. So I wouldn't be shocked to my core if Mick decided that now wasn't the right time to bring in Crowley. On the other hand, if there were a couple of injuries affecting us, or if Mick just decides to take a shot with him against Gibraltar, then sure, why not?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    OK, I just want to nip some potential burgeoning confusion in the bud here Diggs and Liamoo - there is no indication Mick was at the game - Mark12345 just said that to "judge the enthusiasm... for a call-up... " - so as far as I can see there's no actual reason to believe that Crowley will be in the squad against Gibraltar.

As to whether he should be... well... he does seem to be a talented youngster who's having a pretty good season at a middling Eredivisie side. And, yes, we could do with a creative midfield player. But remember also that our next five games are all competitive - there's no friendlies available for blooding players in before the Bulgaria game in September (although the two Gibraltar games could give us an opportunity for limited experimentation). Plus if we assume eight midfielders in the squad and no injuries, then the most likely octet would be McCarthy, Brady, Hendrick, Arter, McClean, O'Dowda, Browne and one from Hourihane, Horgan, Judge and Williams, with Judge in particular being a more experienced creative midfield option. And if Rice makes himself available, that's another option in midfield - and Mick may choose to try to accommodate our three Premier League right-backs by moving one of them further forward. So I wouldn't be shocked to my core if Mick decided that now wasn't the right time to bring in Crowley. On the other hand, if there were a couple of injuries affecting us, or if Mick just decides to take a shot with him against Gibraltar, then sure, why not?
    Mark Mark Mark, please don't do that

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    If Crowley is not in the first squad then I’m sorry that’s gross negligence on Mick’s part.
    No excuses he can’t be ignored

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunners View Post
    If Crowley is not in the first squad then I’m sorry that’s gross negligence on Mick’s part.
    No excuses he can’t be ignored
    I think I gave 11 excuses above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    I think I gave 11 excuses above.
    We're talking about a place in the squad remember. There's no reason he shouldn't be included.

Whether he makes the actual team/subs bench is for another day.
    Last edited by The Fly; 12/02/2019 at 1:56 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I don't necessarily disagree with you Sam but what are the chances all 11 are fit at once?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Also, we still don't know how far along the change of allegiance process is, or even if it's in progress at all

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Also, we still don't know how far along the change of allegiance process is, or even if it's in progress at all
    Negligence on behalf of everyone involved if the process hasn't been kicked off. Crowley has spent the last few years like a teenager that keeps getting drawn back to the better-looking blonde when she gives him a text even though he knows he prefers the cute ginger girl with the awesome personality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't think the blonde has any interest. I could be wrong, but I'm inclined to think that Mick, anyway, has done nothing regards Crowley. If he went to see him play, we'd know about it. If he had intended speaking to him, we'd probably know about it too. He made his intentions very clear with regards Bamford, etc.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    England centric policy to the fore again. Not great start for a new manager.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    True, most of us are operating on the assumption that the wheels have already been set in motion.

It would be disappointing to learn otherwise.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    We're talking about a place in the squad remember. There's no reason he shouldn't be included.

Whether he makes the actual team/subs bench is for another day.
    If we assume eight midfielders in the squad, I would then have seven ahead of him for sure - McCarthy, Brady, Hendrick, Arter, McClean, O'Dowda and Browne. To say he must be included then involves making the case for him being in the squad ahead of Hourihane, Horgan, Judge, Williams, Meyler and McGeady (who I forgot about). You might even make the case that Ryan Manning, with over 50 appearances and seven goals at Championship level, has as much of a claim for a spot as Crowley. Plus, if Declan Rice sees the light in the next few weeks, he could take that final midfield place. So, again, I'm not saying that Crowley shouldn't be in the squad (if he continues as he is going now, he could be a very handy asset), I'm just saying that his exclusion wouldn't necessarily be a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you Sam but what are the chances all 11 are fit at once?
    I know, we definitely need a bit more depth in midfield, but so far it looks like everybody will be available (knock on wood) - if not, then Crowley might be competing for one of two or three spots, rather than the last one and would be more likely to merit inclusion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    If we assume eight midfielders in the squad, I would then have seven ahead of him for sure - McCarthy, Brady, Hendrick, Arter, McClean, O'Dowda and Browne. To say he must be included then involves making the case for him being in the squad ahead of Hourihane, Horgan, Judge, Williams, Meyler and McGeady (who I forgot about). You might even make the case that Ryan Manning, with over 50 appearances and seven goals at Championship level, has as much of a claim for a spot as Crowley. Plus, if Declan Rice sees the light in the next few weeks, he could take that final midfield place. So, again, I'm not saying that Crowley shouldn't be in the squad (if he continues as he is going now, he could be a very handy asset), I'm just saying that his exclusion wouldn't necessarily be a shocker.
    You're just naming players there without mentioning their specific position and skillset. Which of those midfielders are similar to Crowley?
    Last edited by The Fly; 13/02/2019 at 4:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Is it fair to expect that uncapped players will just waltz into McCarthys first squad for his first set of competitive games? I don’t think so. Unless Crowley (or anyone) was truly tearing up trees at a decent level, it’d be a real stretch.

It’s really the fault of Il Monkeano (and their evil overlords) for staying as long as they did (being allowed to) and sitting on their useless holes collecting a hefty wedge for doing fck all except wasting opportunities and time that would have been better spent for a management team that cares.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Is it fair to expect that uncapped players will just waltz into McCarthys first squad for his first set of competitive games? I don’t think so. Unless Crowley (or anyone) was truly tearing up trees at a decent level, it’d be a real stretch.

It’s really the fault of Il Monkeano (and their evil overlords) for staying as long as they did (being allowed to) and sitting on their useless holes collecting a hefty wedge for doing fck all except wasting opportunities and time that would have been better spent for a management team that cares.
    None of our players are tearing up trees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    None of our players are tearing up trees.
    I’m talking about the case for an uncapped/untested player being brought straight into the squad for a competitive series.