Results 3,641 to 3,660 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Is FBR a unique Irish thing? My kids have Irish passports now but as of a few years ago neither was on the FBR. It'd have been absurd to say they weren't Irish eligible. They needed a FBR because I was born in UK.
    Your kids were eligible for Irish passports but not automically eligible because of the circumstances of your birth. they became eligible after you paid through the nose and registered their foreign birth. I think the irish grandparent thing came from de Valera, it's not a given right in other countries.
    Afaia the grandparent option does not exist in the British nationality law, neither does it exist in Iceland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That's correct, geysir, and I suspect it's part of why the English media and commentariat made such a big deal or mockery out of our use of the "granny rule" over the years. My impression is that, because it was an option that the FA couldn't really avail of (since possession of citizenship has always been a prerequisite to playing for a particular country and the UK never granted citizenship based on grandparentage), they had some sort of perception that it wasn't the "right way" to do things or that it was somehow lesser.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    That's correct, geysir, and I suspect it's part of why the English media and commentariat made such a big deal or mockery out of our use of the "granny rule" over the years. My impression is that, because it was an option that the FA couldn't really avail of (since possession of citizenship has always been a prerequisite to playing for a particular country and the UK never granted citizenship based on grandparentage), they had some sort of perception that it wasn't the "right way" to do things or that it was somehow lesser.
    RE: England’s attitude, I think you’re right. As far as I know, Hargreaves is only player to begin playing for England having never lived there before (raised in Canada and playing in Germany at time he got his first England cap). Contrast that with our situation where we’ve had various players over the years through the grandparent rule who certainly never lived in Ireland and possibly never even visited.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Your kids were eligible for Irish passports but not automically eligible because of the circumstances of your birth. they became eligible after you paid through the nose and registered their foreign birth. I think the irish grandparent thing came from de Valera, it's not a given right in other countries.
    Afaia the grandparent option does not exist in the British nationality law, neither does it exist in Iceland.
    Yep, agreed. But when were my kids eligible to play football for Ireland?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    i think it's more simple than that. Our granny rule players almost all had English or Scottish (British) accents. They just didn't think they were really Irish. Big countries (that attract immigrants) just generally don't get small countries (that produce emigrants).

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yep, agreed. But when were my kids eligible to play football for Ireland?
    With a Leinster league pedegree?? You are optimistic beyond rational realms.

Your kids were eligible to play, possibly once you got off your backside and registered their foreign birth but definitely when you eventually coughed up the cash for their irish passports.

More importantly in Ryan's case, considering only his grandparent/s were born in Ireland, if he did not have a irish passport before he played competively for Lux, he does not qualify for Ireland according to the letter of the Fifa statute.
    Last edited by geysir; 08/09/2019 at 10:11 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Small thing I noticed. Okoflex deleted all pictures of himself in England kit from his Instagram. Probably means nothing but they were definitely removed!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49639544

Interesting to note the Wales under 21 manager refer to the "pathway".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Small thing I noticed. Okoflex deleted all pictures of himself in England kit from his Instagram. Probably means nothing but they were definitely removed!
    could be an act of self preservation. Can't imagine they'd go down too well with the Celtic faithful

12. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    A couple of things, the second being more appropriate the thread.

1) Take a look at Kenny's Kids (@KennysKids): https://twitter.com/KennysKids?s=09

The best way to follow Irish footballers since
    Tetsujin1979

2) In no way tied to 1 and no association, only its twitter, I read a tweet from John O'Sullivan
    Take a look at John O'Sullivan (@johngosullivan): https://twitter.com/johngosullivan?s=09
    and I haven't read anything else he's ever written, nor can I comment on the specific case he cites, but is the premise correct.....

And as I type, I'm sure, players should never be rushed to an adult team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    has anyone seen this? https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/rea....php?nid=33752 not even sure this lad exists. there seems to be no other reference to him online. Unusual but I guess possible for someone who is probably still an u16.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    As for Evan Ferguson, I don't think I would be too worried about it. They wouldn’t have rushed him for the sake of it. All kids are different. Trying to think of similar examples at a pro level. Ethan Ampadu was 15 when he made he debut a few years back, Jordon Ibe was 15. Aguero was 15 and 33 days when he played, so you could just be talking a few months difference there.

With the greatest respect to the league, it’s not the highest standard in the world, and there’s plenty of teenager in that squad along side him. I remember as a 14 year old, I totally changed, I went from 5’4 at 13 and a half to 5’11 by 14 and a half, and with that extra height I gained pace that I had never had. I was suddenly able to compete with adults, just with quick feet and a little burst of pace. Equally, my little cousin is a very good footballer. He’s 16 now. He’s not quite youth international level but at the highest level of underage football in Ireland and he played a few minutes in preseason friendlies at 14 and 15 for his side’s senior team, and it did wonders for his confidence. Now at 16 and a half, he started three preseason games before going back to his age level. He was man of the match for two of the games and he more than held his own.

There’s always a bit of guessing involved with every player at every age but all Bohs will be trying to do is put him at a level which matches his talent and challenges him.

It’s kind of the opposite argument kids playing for too long at 23s where they might stagnate.

From an emotional development perspective I think a big move to Liverpool or Spurs is a more difficult thing for a young person to deal with. Bohs are a semi-pro team. He’s not exactly going to be signing autographs or driving a flash car.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    has anyone seen this? https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/rea....php?nid=33752 not even sure this lad exists. there seems to be no other reference to him online. Unusual but I guess possible for someone who is probably still an u16.
    This confirms his eligibility for us:

The midfielder claims he was told by the Nigeria U17 coaches that he was not good enough because he could not play in the sun and that he was being stubborn for refusing to stay with the players at their hotel.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    With the greatest respect to the league, it’s not the highest standard in the world, and there’s plenty of teenager in that squad along side him.
    Well I think the issue is that he's a young child playing against adults. As physically developed as he is, there are issues in terms of the physical size of children's brains that can make them more susceptible to head injuries, for instance, and it's the same whether you're playing against Virgil van Dijk or Keith Cowan. Still, I think if the Bohs staff thought he was ready their judgement can be trusted.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    An assist of sorts for Johansson in Bayern’s 4-0 u19 win this weekend. At 35 seconds:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FCBjunior...0%2Fframe.html

What’s the reason for the hold up on clarification on Crowley and Ryan situation? Is it as simple as just more FAI incompetence? Or is is it expected to be this prolonged?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Could just as easily be the Luxembourg FA dragging their feet completing the transfer of allegiance, or the Swedish FA sticking their oar in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    An assist of sorts for Johansson in Bayern’s 4-0 u19 win this weekend. At 35 seconds:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FCBjunior...0%2Fframe.html

What’s the reason for the hold up on clarification on Crowley and Ryan situation? Is it as simple as just more FAI incompetence? Or is is it expected to be this prolonged?
    There are so many valid reasons to criticise the FAI but I’d guess that registration processing isn’t one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Interesting one, this.
    Conor Noß, pronounced Noss, came on for Borussia Mönchengladbach today against Athletic Bilbao, and is qualified to play for Ireland. He's a midfielder, and is only 18. Going by their website, he will play for their U23 side this season (see below), which includes the UEFA Youth League

translated from https://www.borussia.de/de/aktuelles...ilansicht.html
    Noß named on the bench for Mönchengladbach's Europa League tie today
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Noß named on the bench for Mönchengladbach's Europa League tie today
    That's a good achievement isn't it. Is that a very second choice team ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Not a 2nd choice team at all, full of their stars. Arguably their strongest XI they have out there.

Unsurprisingly he didn't get on, but it's still a very promising sign!

26. Thanks From: