Page 174 of 257 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think EG you have to concede (yet again) that my post was the more accurate explanation. I don't know who or what you are EG but I'm certainly glad you're around, it does my ego no end of good.
    One can get quickly tired of correcting Charles Darwin, a joyless venture indeed

I'm alway glad to be corrected EG, however I was only jesting about a hypothetical scenario involving the IFA and my advice is don't get too offended by a jesty hypothetical.

That sounds very nice but it is fantasy.
    Shane elected to switch to the FAI in the month of February, the month of May is when he was called up by Trap for some training squad and had the near fatal blow.

..... and thus received the wonderfully gracious get well soon card from the IFA.

CAS ruled on Kearns July 30th 2010

On 20th august 2010

FAI statement:

The FIFA Player Status Committee passed its decision today to allow the player represent the national team of the FAI. Having considered the submission made by the FAI and the request from the player, the Single Judge of the Player Status Committee concluded that Shane Duffy is eligible to play for the FAI based on his Irish Nationality and the fact he had never represented the IFA’s association team at ‘A’ International Level previous to the application.

Timelines don't lie. Fifa took 3 or so weeks to pass Shane Duffy fit for intl duty with Ireland
    That timeline does not contradict my point, if anything it reinforces it, as follows.

SD elected to switch at the end of Feb.2010, as you say. But with the Qualifiers having been completed by the end of 2009 (Nov?), FIFA anticipated a number of new registrations and applications to switch before the Finals. (Quite obviously they needed to be satisfied that all players appearing were properly eligible and registered.)

Consequently they put a hold on effecting all non-essential registrations, inc SD's, until after the backlog was cleared and the tournament was out of the way (Final was mid-July). Which will have been why it took until 20 August for them to get round to SD's application, amongst all the rest. (This will have cleared the decks for European competitions starting in the autumn)

Meanwhile, Kearns/CAS was nothing whatever to do with it, since SD's Donegal Da meant that the IFA did not contest SD's switch at any stage. Therefore they had no cause to delay his registration. Indeed, even if they had been so inclined for some reason, I'm pretty sure there will have been no competitive matches at any age group coming up that the ROI might have needed SD for, because it was approaching the season's end.

Therefore what would have been the point of withholding his documents, since the FAI could, of course, have gone ahead regardless and picked him for any friendlies they had planned whilst they waited on the IFA?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Do you have anything to support that fantasy account EG?

When the IFA complaint was lodged with CAS, all transfer activity between the IFA to the FAI was put on hold.
    The IFA appeal was made against the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee of FIFA in regards to a decision he/she made re Daniel Kearns.
    I'd just understand that holding action as being 'normal', given the circumstances that the appeal was made against the Judge who decides on these matters

Timeline
    Duffy announces switch late February 2010
    IFA lodge appeal with CAS early March 2010.
    CAS announce result July 30 2010
    Shane is declared switched by the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee of FIFA 20th August 2010
    it was widely reported at the time that the first player to benefit would be Shane Duffy whose transfer was put on hold during the hostilities.
    Every other transfer between the IFA to FAI took no more than 2 months to complete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Lads, isn't there a thread already dedicated to this CAS/FAI/IFA puke? ^
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 14/03/2019 at 9:14 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Do you have anything to support that fantasy account EG?

When the IFA complaint was lodged with CAS, all transfer activity between the IFA to the FAI was put on hold.
    The IFA appeal was made against the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee of FIFA in regards to a decision he/she made re Daniel Kearns.
    I'd just understand that holding action as being 'normal', given the circumstances that the appeal was made against the Judge who decides on these matters

Timeline
    Duffy announces switch late February 2010
    IFA lodge appeal with CAS early March 2010.
    CAS announce result July 30 2010
    Shane is declared switched by the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee of FIFA 20th August 2010
    it was widely reported at the time that the first player to benefit would be Shane Duffy whose transfer was put on hold during the hostilities.
    Every other transfer between the IFA to FAI took no more than 2 months to complete.
    The claim was that SD's transfer was (maliciously) delayed by the IFA.

I have demonstrated why they had no cause to do so, since they accepted there was no doubt as to his eligibility (father), nor would it have made any material difference to his availability to the FAI (no competitive games).

Now if it turns out that FIFA delayed the transfer since they considered it to be caught up by the IFA/CAS case, then that would just be one of those things and could not be put down to spite against SD by the IFA.

But in any case, even had there been no IFA/CAS appeal, SD's transfer would still have been held in abeyance whilst the World Cup backlog was fast-tracked, that fast-track process being a matter of public record at the time.

But listen, I can hear the weary sighs of others wafting across the ether as I type, so if you insist on persuading yourself that it's just another case of prejudice by those Big Bad Nordies, even in the face of the facts, then go ahead.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Liam coyle at liverpool has been called up by the north 21s

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    One of the lads on the YBIG forum just posted an interview he did with Ryan Johansson, good read

http://lawboi.netsoc.co/wordpress/20...ryanjohansson/

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Thanks for sharing, Razor. Great read. You can tell he really wants to play for us and the stuff about his brother going to university in Dublin really emphasizes the genuine connection his family has with Ireland.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    The claim was that SD's transfer was (maliciously) delayed by the IFA.
    From the outset I said it was not the IFA who delayed Shane Duffy's transfer and gave the exact account of how it was delayed. Your account was fantasy, wooly beyond belief.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Lads, isn't there a thread already dedicated to this CAS/FAI/IFA puke? ^
    What's puke about eligibility in a thread about eligibility, albeit not the exact thread?
    Perhaps you know it all and are extremely bored by more than 3 sentences on Shane Duffy's transfer and just want to puke?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Nice to see connell and Coventry accept call ups to the 19s and 21s this week. Given the rice saga surely any lad in the system who was undecided would excuse themselves from call ups and make the decision to move. Connell hadnt played competitive 19s for us this season so he could have switched to Brits for their qualifiers this month and same with Coventry start of new 21s cycle

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Nice to see connell and Coventry accept call ups to the 19s and 21s this week. Given the rice saga surely any lad in the system who was undecided would excuse themselves from call ups and make the decision to move. Connell hadnt played competitive 19s for us this season so he could have switched to Brits for their qualifiers this month and same with Coventry start of new 21s cycle
    Do you think the Rice issue would put pressure on anyone uncertain? I think the brazenness of both Rice and Grealish in taking us for a ride would hardly get the screw turned on these lads if they didn't want it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Do you think the Rice issue would put pressure on anyone uncertain? I think the brazenness of both Rice and Grealish in taking us for a ride would hardly get the screw turned on these lads if they didn't want it.
    Ah let's hope cynicism hasn't reached Those lengths. If connell pr Coventry wanted out now is a nice easy time especially if connell is been lined up for the big money premier league move when we are all told been in the English system gets you much bigger contract and endorsement deals.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post

Look, Grealish was nailed on from day one to go with England, he made that pretty clear in his support for the senior team, so as much as that was hard to stomach, it wasn’t a surprise.

As for the other one, that was a lot tougher given the kissing of the badge, singing the anthem, the interviews, his dad, the 3 appearances etc., we didn’t see it coming.

Therefore his was by far the hardest to take.

On the other hand Coventry’s connection is much closer, his mother is Irish, so I’d be hopeful he’ll stick with us or else he’ll have a good smack of the wooden spoon off her

As for Luca Noddy Holder Connell, I’d be less hopeful
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    The extent to which these dual eligibles can play f̶o̶r̶ us has been modernized to full international level courtesy of the trailblazing Rice-a-phoney. I wouldn't read anything, either way, into young players with options turning up, short of a full cap situation.
    Last edited by Sullivinho; 18/03/2019 at 12:44 PM.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Look, Grealish was nailed on from day one to go with England, he made that pretty clear in his support for the senior team, so as much as that was hard to stomach, it wasn’t a surprise.

As for the other one, that was a lot tougher given the kissing of the badge, singing the anthem, the interviews, his dad, the 3 appearances etc., we didn’t see it coming.

Therefore his was by far the hardest to take.

On the other hand Coventry’s connection is much closer, his mother is Irish, so I’d be hopeful he’ll stick with us or else he’ll have a good smack of the wooden spoon off her

As for Luca Noddy Holder Connell, I’d be less hopeful
    What is your issue with Connell? Please explain and provide reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    My own view on this has hardened considerably. The Eni Aluko article in the guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/football...eland-identity - telling us to respect dual nationality irked me immensely. No switches after u-19 would be my line. No taking up space in squads unless you are committed from a decent age. 18 year olds are adults. They can make a call and live with it. If we lose people so be it.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 21/03/2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added link to article

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Do we have confirmation that Max O'Leary ( bristol city Keeper) is qualified?
    Thanks

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Will Keane scores against his brother Michael at Euro 2020. What odds giveth?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Will Keane scores against his brother Michael at Euro 2020. What odds giveth?
    Unless the entire Irish squad is wiped out by a plague beforehand then there is probably no chance Will Keane will make it. There is already Robinson, Obafemi, Long, McGoldrick, Hogan, Maguire, O'Brien and supposedly Bamford declaring. 4 from that will be picked for a 23 man Euro squad.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Not sure if this has been posted before: AFAIK Kyle Taylor, who's breaking through to the first team at A.F.C. Bournemouth, is qualified for us. His mother is Irish.

[I only know this 'cos his brother is a well-known comedian in France and has spoken about his Irish mammy.]
    Last edited by Raheen; 08/04/2019 at 10:38 AM.

25. Thanks From: