Page 258 of 259 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259 LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 5171

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    798 Posts
    Not convinced Charles would make our squad as things stand unless we had a few out injured. The full backs would though - Bradley because he looks to have a high ceiling and Lewis because we have next to nothing at left back. After that they have a couple of defenders and not a lot else, but we have loads of defenders (other than left backs) so they probably wouldn't get picked any more often than someone like Darragh Lenihan does.

The more important question though is that, given that is the case, why have we not been outperforming them in the last couple of years? And I think we all know the answer to that one.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Actually I never said that at all. What I said was:

"We're never going to compete for these lower league lads because we can't just start capping them in the Nations League the way they do"

The stuff about giving caps to Nationalists solely to keep them away from the clutches of the FAI is your own addition/invention. I wasn't saying that at all.
    When you pointed out that CCC is "from a nationalist background" [sic], the implication was clear, otherwise why distinguish capping him from capping comparable-standard players from eg a Unionist background, or from GB?

And to return to my original question, who exactly are these young lads from a Nationalist background to whom we have given "handy" caps in NL games? Come on, name them. One, even.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 19/06/2024 at 3:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    735 Posts
    Lads, play nice or go home.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    The more important question though is that, given that is the case, why have we not been outperforming them in the last couple of years? And I think we all know the answer to that one.
    Not really. Most recently:

Nations League:

Ireland 3rd in League B with 7 points
    Northern Ireland 3rd in League C with 5 points

Euros qualification:

Northern Ireland: 5th in a group with Denmark, Slovenia, Finland, Kazakstan and San Marino
    Ireland: 4th in a group with France, Netherlands, Greece, Gibraltar

Northern Ireland's results are more akin to The Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Gibraltar, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Malta etc. etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    735 Posts
    Yeah, the last four years haven't been great for them, losing to the likes of Kosovo and Kazakhstan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    The point is we would have a wider playing pool to choose from and be more competitive.
    Who do you mean by "we"?

That assumes that I and other NI fans are up for it. While the (ahem) simple fact is, we don't want to combine with ROI any more than we want to cmbine in a UK team (the only option which FIFA would countenance as things stand btw).

Either way, you might be happy to lose your* team, but we don't want that, nor should we have to. As for being "more competitive", so what? I support my team win, lose or draw.

Or what is so difficult to understand about such (ahem) simple concepts? You know, belonging, affiliation, tradition, history etc, the things which go towards making a fan.

* - Unless, of course, you see this proposed team as merely being a further continuation of your old team, with a few extra Prods added.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Imagine we didn’t have the Ulster lads in the rugby squad. We wouldn’t win as many 6 nations for sure!
    What's rugby got to do with any of this other, perhaps, than to remind everyone that Ulster Rugby never broke away from the all-Ireland governing body? Unlike your people with Football.

Meanwhile, I'll probably get censored for the sin of sticking up for my own team, even though it was someone else who brought up the hoary old subject of a "united" [sic] team. Again.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Who do you mean by "we"?

That assumes that I and other NI fans are up for it. While the (ahem) simple fact is, we don't want to combine with ROI any more than we want to cmbine in a UK team (the only option which FIFA would countenance as things stand btw).

Either way, you might be happy to lose your* team, but we don't want that, nor should we have to. As for being "more competitive", so what? I support my team win, lose or draw.

Or what is so difficult to understand about such (ahem) simple concepts? You know, belonging, affiliation, tradition, history etc, the things which go towards making a fan.

* - Unless, of course, you see this proposed team as merely being a further continuation of your old team, with a few extra Prods added.

What's rugby got to do with any of this other, perhaps, than to remind everyone that Ulster Rugby never broke away from the all-Ireland governing body? Unlike your people with Football.

Meanwhile, I'll probably get censored for the sin of sticking up for my own team, even though it was someone else who brought up the hoary old subject of a "united" [sic] team. Again.
    Will you feel more comfortable with it once we have a United Country called Ireland?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Will you feel more comfortable with it once we have a United Country called Ireland?
    I've been hearing that since 1966 (50th anniversary and all that). It's now more boring than anything else, esp since it is invariably brought up by someone on your side of the house, and after your results have been crap.

Besides which, there's always this:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...me-in-29-years

Note the date. And the result.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    798 Posts
    When you pointed out that CCC is "from a nationalist background" [sic], the implication was clear, otherwise why distinguish capping him from capping comparable-standard players from eg a Unionist background, or from GB?

And to return to my original question, who exactly are these young lads from a Nationalist background to whom we have given "handy" caps in NL games? Come on, name them. One, even.
    Once again, no. The "implication" you have taken from it is woefully incorrect I'm afraid. The reference to his background was simply to note that he might be a player who may hold some interest in playing for us, as there has rarely been much interest in playing for Ireland from players of a unionist background.

With all due respect I'd suggest that, in future, you might be better served by responding to what posters have actually written, as opposed to whatever bizarre assumptions or conclusions you may have jumped to based on your own biases. Once again, my point wasn't that the north are going around capping lower league players in some race to keep them away from the FAI, it was that the north are doing it because their squad is crap.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Once again, no. The "implication" you have taken from it is woefully incorrect I'm afraid. The reference to his background was simply to note that he might be a player who may hold some interest in playing for us, as there has rarely been much interest in playing for Ireland from players of a unionist background.

With all due respect I'd suggest that, in future, you might be better served by responding to what posters have actually written, as opposed to whatever bizarre assumptions or conclusions you may have jumped to based on your own biases. Once again, my point wasn't that the north are going around capping lower league players in some race to keep them away from the FAI, it was that the north are doing it because their squad is crap.
    You picked out CCC and Eoin Toal (for their Nationalist background), but never even considered the likes of Ethan Galbraith, Trai Hume, Ross McCausland or Dion Charles, playing at a similar standard. (Charles plays in the same team as Toal, btw).

I mean, when you cannot even bring yourself to type "NI", when that is accurate, respectful and quicker etc, it shows what you really think.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Dog+Whistle+statements
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 19/06/2024 at 10:14 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    I mean, when you cannot even bring yourself to type "NI", when that is accurate, respectful and quicker etc
    Ah now, there there EG
    Don't cry so easy like that, they'll only do it more, the nasty Mexicans. It won't matter soon enough what it used to be called anyway, so don't be so troubled by this & try to enjoy whats left.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I've been hearing that since 1966 (50th anniversary and all that). It's now more boring than anything else, esp since it is invariably brought up by someone on your side of the house, and after your results have been crap.

Besides which, there's always this:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...me-in-29-years

Note the date. And the result.
    Cool we'll throw a few token training games to Unionist FC once the country is united if keeps ye happy. It'll be their prize for winning the LOI 3rd division
    Its really not that complicated!!!

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Cool we'll throw a few token training games to Unionist FC once the country is united if keeps ye happy. It'll be their prize for winning the LOI 3rd division
    The odd 21s match in Belfast.
    As a symbol.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    The odd 21s match in Belfast.
    As a symbol.
    Can’t see Casement being ready in time for it tbh

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Who do you mean by "we"?

Wow!
    You truly were triggered weren’t you?!
    You could just respectfully disagree but you’ve kind of gone nuclear here. Paranoid I would say.
    It’s just a suggestion. I understand you not wanting it.
    For me it makes sense. For you it doesn’t. That’s fine.
    Thought you were better than name-calling.

‘We’ of course refers to the people who live on this island who have ‘Ireland’ in the title of the team

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    798 Posts
    You picked out CCC and Eoin Toal (for their Nationalist background), but never even considered the likes of Ethan Galbraith, Trai Hume, Ross McCausland or Dion Charles, playing at a similar standard. (Charles plays in the same team as Toal, btw).

I mean, when you cannot even bring yourself to type "NI", when that is accurate, respectful and quicker etc, it shows what you really think.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Dog+Whistle+statements
    You're just howling at the moon at this point EG. Any player eligible to play for Ireland is welcome to declare for us, but presumably you of all posters on this forum will understand why CCC and Toal might hold more of an interest in doing so than players like Galbraith and McCausland. They'd be just as welcome and would have been picked if they had been good enough and willing to wait (which again, they're currently not). But they most likely wouldn't want to, and we wouldn't expect them to stand for a flag and anthem if they don't believe in it. If only the same was the case in the north...

Anyway, getting back on point, you've made a wildly false assumption that I was accusing the IFA of capping players to keep them from the FAI and completely failed to back it up afterwards. Not your greatest moment in truth. So we'll move on.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 20/06/2024 at 6:37 AM.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    735 Posts
    The question of Northern Irish players is off topic, contentious, and derailing the thread. Futher such posts will be removed and may come with infractions.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    The question of Northern Irish players is off topic, contentious, and derailing the thread. Futher such posts will be removed and may come with infractions.
    Amen to that!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    Amen to that!
    No need to throw the powder keg of religion into this

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    It's a potentially eligibility players thread but can't discuss anything about a large chunk of potentially eligible players?

Why not sanction EG? he can post/ reply any topic except about NI players. I have full confidence that he can restrain himself (perhaps with the help of a straight jacket) and make this ultimate sacrifice for the greater good.
    Last edited by geysir; 20/06/2024 at 3:04 PM.

28. Thanks From: