Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 251 of 257 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 5128

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Lot of sites had put two and two together and come up with five about a year ago when it was mentioned that some of the coaching team were in the states, and had spoken to McGlynn about declaring

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Lot of sites had put two and two together and come up with five about a year ago when it was mentioned that some of the coaching team were in the states, and had spoken to McGlynn about declaring
    They could well have spoken to him and/or his dad when they were in the States but that didn't make it certain he was coming onboard. At least the Olympics is an under 23 competition.

I, for one, got my knickers in a twist over Shane O'Neill and he has carved out a grand MLS career but hasn't seemed to threaten either Ireland or USA's national squads and had a strange sojourn to Europe which may have served to prove out where he was/is actually at in relative terms to an Ireland call up i.e. 25 appearances in the Dutch second division at 23/24 was his best run in 3 seasons in Europe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    The talk after they came back from the US was McGlynn would only switch for a senior call up. Wouldn't blame him if true cause played in the U20s World Cup and the US 23s have the Olympics which he might play in too.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    How did Conor Bradley end up playing for Northern Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    How did Conor Bradley end up playing for Northern Ireland?
    Was always going to happen really. He's from Castlederg, which isn't exactly full of gaeilgeoirs.

He was brought into the Northern setup very young.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Was always going to happen really. He's from Castlederg, which isn't exactly full of gaeilgeoirs.

He was brought into the Northern setup very young.

He’s really from Aghyaran which is very much a southern looking kind of place,he played for the GAA club there aswell and was involved in the athletics club in Stranorlar,big shame he was snapped up quickly by the North because he looks a decent prospect….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    I saw it mentioned somewhere that whilst he is from an Irish background and played GAA for Aghyaran etc that his family have a business locally in the general Castlederg/Aghyaran area and maybe the switch to Ireland wouldn't have been very palatable locally.

Either way, the lad knew his options and made his choice. One can take their own view to say he should or could be playing with Ireland but Bradley and his family made their choice and will stand to GTSK in Windsor Park and watch on as other Gaels are urged to shove their Casement Park up their holes.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    776 Posts
    Absolutely. Any Irish person who chooses the north these days while an Ireland call up remains a realistic option can't really be considered a nationalist as far as I'm concerned. They may come from the nationalist community, but that's not the same as being a nationalist. Bradley would have only had to have put a call in and he'd have had an Ireland underage call up I'm sure. That he didn't tells it's own story, I don't see why he would be considered any different to Kyle Lafferty or Jonny Evans. He made his call and he clearly considers himself Northern Irish. So let him off with them.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Absolutely. Any Irish person who chooses the north these days while an Ireland call up remains a realistic option can't really be considered a nationalist as far as I'm concerned. They may come from the nationalist community, but that's not the same as being a nationalist. Bradley would have only had to have put a call in and he'd have had an Ireland underage call up I'm sure. That he didn't tells it's own story, I don't see why he would be considered any different to Kyle Lafferty or Jonny Evans. He made his call and he clearly considers himself Northern Irish. So let him off with them.
    Well footballers are not known for being overly loyal (excuse the pun). So maybe he's not very political or patriotic and just sees NI as a better fit for him. Or maybe he is loyal to the IFA who brought him into their fold early.
    Either way, I wish him well.

Ultimately though, if we had one team on the island this stuff wouldn't be an issue.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Well footballers are not known for being overly loyal (excuse the pun). So maybe he's not very political or patriotic and just sees NI as a better fit for him. Or maybe he is loyal to the IFA who brought him into their fold early.

Ultimately though, if we had one team on the island this stuff wouldn't be an issue.
    I cant see us getting on very well with the Linfield faithful

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    From May 2021:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67945505

He's a footballer. From Northern Ireland. Who plays football for Northern Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    From May 2021:

He's a footballer. From Northern Ireland. Who plays football for Northern Ireland.
    Would that be the North of Ireland (wink) ? !

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    353 Posts
    From May 2021:

That link brings you to some random story from a couple of hours ago not May 2021….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    That link brings you to some random story from a couple of hours ago not May 2021….

Try this one: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s.../39407660.html

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,644 Posts
    From May 2021:

Call him up, Trap!

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

I'm coming down on Ealing Green and Eirambler's side here. Bradley sees himself as Northern Irish firstly so plays football for Northern Ireland firstly and only. Bradley plays football for Northern Ireland firstly and only so sees himself as Northern Irish firstly. I really don't see a grey area here regarding fit or loyalty.

That said, Niall McGinn openly states he's an Ireland supporter and only played for NI because he didn't fancy his chances of Ireland caps. In that instance, however, I'd point towards Patrick Bamford who has been mentioned as being more appreciative of his 1 England cap than 50 Irish ones.

Best of luck to the lad, too.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I'm coming down on Ealing Green and Eirambler's side here. Bradley sees himself as Northern Irish firstly so plays football for Northern Ireland firstly and only. Bradley plays football for Northern Ireland firstly and only so sees himself as Northern Irish firstly. I really don't see a grey area here regarding fit or loyalty.

That said, Niall McGinn openly states he's an Ireland supporter and only played for NI because he didn't fancy his chances of Ireland caps. In that instance, however, I'd point towards Patrick Bamford who has been mentioned as being more appreciative of his 1 England cap than 50 Irish ones.

Absolutely
    I just can't help thinking god save the king has to go as an anthem for NI so the lads can play with complete pride and not feel uncomfortable.
    If he or anyone else feels Northern Irish they should play for NI.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

I think it's different in McGinn's case where an Ireland call up probably wasn't likely, so he went with the north to have an international career. It was funny the time we beat them 5-0 and he said afterwards something along the lines of he was actually happy enough to be on the losing side because he supported the opposition!

But Bradley could have played for Ireland, at underage level at least, and probably at senior too. He actively chose not to, that's his prerogative.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts
    We could learn a lesson from NI and Bradley though. They capped him very early, way before we would have. He was on loan at Bolton last season, we wouldnt even give him consideration. If you look at our left back situation we should probably look at bringing someone in who like Bradley wasnt really ready yet but has a high ceiling. Leigh Kavanagh at Brighton for example, it might work and it might now, but its better than persisting with the likes of O'Dowda who we know doesnt work and never will.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Leigh Kavanagh is a CB though. Speaking of Kavanagh thought it's weird to see him making some senior squads at Brighton when last season he was on loan to play with Derby's U21s. Brighton must have a ball of injuries at CB at senior and U21 level.

Anselmo Garcia and Sean Roughan should be two players looked at. Regularly playing LB and/or LWB at senior level with their clubs.