Page 16 of 257 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Trapp passed a comment in the original posts about "Two or three players"

I wonder does he have anyone in mind already??
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Thanks Tets, but as we all know there'll still be plenty of cranks here who'll let the facts get in the way of a good moan about him not being committed down the line.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Thanks Tets, but as we all know there'll still be plenty of cranks here who'll let the facts get in the way of a good moan about him not being committed down the line.
    As I previously posted there are no facts there just statements from a player after he's made his Ireland debut saying exactly what you would expect him to say regarding his appearance in underage England squads. Where are the facts? Do people on here seriously expect him when asked such questions to say he wa unsure whether he wanted to play for Ireland or England at the time. Don't be ridiculous.

The facts are as I stated previously, he had made himself unavailable for a number of underage Irish squads over a long period and then appeared in an underage England squad before getting injured and being unable to take his place in that same squad.

Best wasn't injured when he first found out he was in the England squad. The squad was named on the 4th of August. He didn't get injured until the following week (the 9th). Livehead didn't seem too sure back then whether Best would be open to playing for England or otherwise even if it was only to further his career (he was very highly rated back in 2005 after a great run to the final in the FA Youth Cup and a couple of appearances in the Premiership for Southampton so England were a very real possibility for him back then even though now he wouldn't get near their squad).

A word from the wise - question the information that is fed to you don't just take it as gospel.

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=27940

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Best
    Last edited by youngirish; 18/06/2009 at 1:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    As I previously posted there are no facts there just statements from a player after he's made his Ireland debut saying exactly what you would expect him to say regarding his appearance in underage England squads. Where are the facts?

The facts are as I stated previously he had made himself unavailable for a number of underage Irish squads over a long period and then appeared in an underage England squad.
    The facts are that the statements were made before his debut, not after
    The facts are that he played for the U-21s since that call up to the England squad: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3020
    The facts are that Worthington approached him to declare for the North, but he didn't switch allegiances: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...135052,00.html
    The facts are that 6 months before making his debut, he gave this interview to the Coventry Telegraph: http://www.coventrycitybanter.co.uk/...lic-of-ir.html
    "It's frustrating (that he wasn't called into the B squad) but I'm still quite young and if they want to involve me in the future then I'm there."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The facts are that the statements were made before his debut, not after
    The facts are that he played for the U-21s since that call up to the England squad: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3020
    The facts are that Worthington approached him to declare for the North, but he didn't switch allegiances: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...135052,00.html
    The facts are that 6 months before making his debut, he gave this interview to the Coventry Telegraph: http://www.coventrycitybanter.co.uk/...lic-of-ir.html
    Read the full post and try to understand what it plainly implies. At that stage he already had decided who he was committed to and he surely understood he'd have no hope of making it near the full England team in the forseeable future, if ever. He's almost 23 now and still only a bit player for Coventry hardly the sort of talent England looks for in their strikeforce.

However, this was not the case when he was one of the most highly rated youngsters in England at Southampton. Also why would he play for the North what's that got to do with it? He as far as I'm aware has no allegiance whatsoever to the North. Undoubtedly he has some connection to ourselves and England so that point is moot.

He probably wouldn't have declared for outer Mongolia either if asked.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/06/2009 at 4:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Read the full post and try to understand what it plainly implies. At that stage he already had decided who he was committed to and he surely understood he'd have no hope of making it near the full England team in the forseeable future, if ever. He's almost 23 now and still only a bit player for Coventry hardly the sort of talent England looks for their strikeforce.

However, this was not the case when he was one of the most highly rated youngsters in England at Southampton. Also why would he play for the North what's that got to do with it? He as far as I'm aware has no allegiance whatsoever to the North. Undoubtedly he has some connection to ourselves and England so that point is moot.

He probably wouldn't have declared for outer Mongolia either if asked.
    where are all the facts gone YI? All i see now is speculation... dont really understand where youre trying to go with this or why youre trying to belittle Best's commitment to us. It seems more than genuine to me.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    where are all the facts gone YI? All i see now is speculation... dont really understand where youre trying to go with this or why youre trying to belittle Best's commitment to us. It seems more than genuine to me.
    I'm actually not trying to belittle his commitment. I'm just pointing out that he shouldn't be compared on here to the likes of Kilbane or McGeady who have been always commited to us 100% without first knowing his history as a player.

Read this link Tets posted. It actually states he refused to rule out switching allegiances so it seems to imply he wasn't always fully committed to us. Thanks for that Tets:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...135052,00.html

I can only talk for myself but I'd have to be threatened with having my ba*ls cut off with a rusty blade while being forced to watch a 24 hour TV marathon of the X-factor, Big Brother and Britain's Got Talent (without Kelly Brook on the panel) back to back before ever considering the possibility of representing NI or England. And even then once I agreed to do it and was released I'd kill myself first before putting on the jersey.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/06/2009 at 4:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    ...I almost feel like giving Nigel Worthington a call about your eligibility....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    ...I almost feel like giving Nigel Worthington a call about your eligibility....
    Do you think he would be that desperate for me to play?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I'm actually not trying to belittle his commitment. I'm just pointing out that he shouldn't be compared on here to the likes of Kilbane or McGeady who have been always commited to us 100% without first knowing his history as a player.

Read this link Tets posted. It actually states he refused to rule out switching allegiances so it seems to imply he wasn't always fully committed to us. Thanks for that Tets:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...135052,00.html
    It is your speculative interpretation of news stories to support your point, which is in question.
    Best says nothing in that article to support your interpretation.
    Or do you just swallow wholesale any journalistic scribble as opposed to the spoken words of the player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    For what it's worth, Leon Best getting called into, and subsequently being unavailable for, an England U-20 squad almost 4 years doesn't particularly bother me. It doesn't bother me that he doesn't remember what date he was called into the squad, or that he was actually injured 5 days after, instead of sometime before, that date. It doesn't bother me that he didn't know anything official about Worthington wanting to know if he would declare for the North. It doesn't bother me that since he didn't say "I'm refusing to rule out switching my allegiance", some journalist chose to put those words into an article for him. He's a full Irish international now, and I will support and cheer for him on the pitch, that's just what I do.

I registered on this board 5 and a half years ago, and I've never added anyone to my ignore list before this, and I really wish I didn't have to. Ordinarily I'd prefer to debate this out, but I've had enough. Life's too short.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 18/06/2009 at 12:13 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    For what it's worth, Leon Best getting called into, and subsequently being unavailable for, an England U-20 squad almost 4 years doesn't particularly bother me. It doesn't bother me that he doesn't remember what date he was called into the squad, or that he was actually injured 5 days after, instead of sometime before, that date. It doesn't bother me that he didn't know anything official about Worthington wanting to know if he would declare for the North. It doesn't bother me that since he didn't say "I'm refusing to rule out switching my allegiance", some journalist chose to put those words into an article for him. He's a full Irish international now, and I will support and cheer for him on the pitch, that's just what I do.

I registered on this board 5 and a half years ago, and I've never added anyone to my ignore list before this, and I really wish I didn't have to. Ordinarily I'd prefer to debate this out, but I've had enough. Life's too short.
    The last act of a desperate man who's point was proven to be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just found out this guy could play Ireland.

what do you think?

http://backofthenet.wikia.com/wiki/Joey_Barton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post

what do you think?

Very good player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    Very good player.

When was the last time he had a decent game. Reckon he will be finished playing very shortly.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    When was the last time he had a decent game. Reckon he will be finished playing very shortly.
    Agreed. I never understood the hype around Joey Barton's ability.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

what do you think?

Hasn't he played for Englad already or do friendlies count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts

what do you think?

Absolutely not!!!

(I take it you were being sarcastic anyway)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    He has always wanted to play for Ireland; if you refer back to that old thread which you quoted me on; I was confused as to why he had been called up. That said, when I saw him last he said no-one had been in touch from Ireland for a long time but he was still hoping.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    He has always wanted to play for Ireland; if you refer back to that old thread which you quoted me on; I was confused as to why he had been called up. That said, when I saw him last he said no-one had been in touch from Ireland for a long time but he was still hoping.
    What's his connection to Ireland Livehead is it that his mother is from Ireland or her parents?