Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 257 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Saw this lad, Mateusz Hewelt, mentioned over on YBIG: http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/mateusz-hewelt

He's a young goalkeeper with Everton from Gdynia in Poland. Once of Stella Maris and Shels, he's also eligible to play for us.

Quote Originally Posted by EvertonFC.com
    Mateusz Hewelt became a first-year scholar at Everton on Friday 28 June 2013.

The Polish goalkeeper signed scholarship forms alongside 13 other young Blues as part of the summer intake.

Ahead of the 2013/14 season, Mateusz sat down with evertonfc.com to reveal a bit more about himself.

Name: Mateusz Hewelt
    Nickname: Matti
    Date of birth: 23 September 1996
    Place of birth: Gdynia, Poland
    Previous clubs: Stella Maris, Shelbourne
    Nationality: Polish
    What countries are you eligible to represent?: Poland, Republic of Ireland
    Have you made any international appearances?: Not yet
    Has anyone heard of him before? Did he grow up in Ireland?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There are no Polish clubs listed there so you'd assume he's been living here most of his life.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Mark Noble was bantered about on Newstalk this morning. Apparently O'Neill speaking with him tonight.
    I personally wouldn't be keen in having him involved.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Me neither. He doesn't pass my gut test, nor the David Meyler Shinpad Test.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Does anyone remember the deal with Adam Hammill? I'm a Huddersfield fan so I've seen him quite a few times and twice in the last week against Sheff Weds and Burnley on Saturday and I really like him. He's not the next Damien Duff or McGeady but he's definitely as good as McClean and certainly better on the right wing than Walters. He loves to take a man on, has good delivery, is quick and skillful and rarely does anything stupid with the ball, winning corners or throw-ins where a lesser player would just lose possession. I'm a fan and he's definitely eligible.

(And I'm not biased.....we also have Scannell and he's WAY too inconsistent for international level and seems to have gotten to a level of ability that I can't see him surpass at this stage.)

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    More on the Noble story: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...-hammer-noble/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Martin O'Neill will run the rule over West Ham midfielder Mark Noble tonight, according to press reports.

The Ireland manager is expected to attend West Ham’s away game at Crystal Palace tonight in the Barclay’s Premier League.

Noble has been capped by the England Under 21s but qualifies to play for Ireland under the ‘granny’ rule, as his grandparents are from Cork.

In 2009 football's world governing body FIFA removed the age limit for players who want to switch national allegiance, which
    means a large number of Premier League players can still play for Ireland despite representing England at various underage levels.

Noble, aged 26, is a potential target for O’Neill and his assistant manager Roy Keane and it is believed Hull City defender Curtis Davies is also on the duo’s radar as the 28-year-old also qualifies through the ‘granny’ rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Balls.ie review a few other potential "granny-rulers": http://balls.ie/football/5-granny-ru...ill-take-look/

Mark Noble has found himself the top Irish sports story today due to rumours Martin O’Neill will be keeping an eye on him against Crystal Palace tonight.

O’Neill looks to be very serious in his attempts to recruit more players via the Granny Rule, and while there aren’t many big names boasting Irish ancestry, we’ve taken a look at a few possible candidates:

Jon Flanagan

According to the Daily Star, O’Neill is already making his move for the Liverpool right back whose grandparents are Irish. He has played at underage level for England but was apparently close to making the Irish switch in 2012.

He has plenty of potential but the Liverpool fan who refused to watch last month’s match against Arsenal after hearing Flanagan was starting doesn’t inspire much confidence.

Lukas Jutkiewicz

‘How could he not be Irish!?’ says you, with a good midlands name like ‘Jutkiewicz’. The Middlesbrough striker has endured a torrid time this season after falling out of favour at Teeside.

However he has been linked with a move to Blackburn in recent weeks and perhaps a fresh start could see him go on a decent run of form and become a serious candidate for an Ireland call-up, thanks to his grandmother.

Marc Tierney

When searching through the phonebook of grannies in English football you won’t find much in the way of Premier League experience but Marc Tierney is one man with proven pedigree.

He was first choice Norwich right back in their Paul Lambert led Premier League season but a serious injury in early 2011 ruled him out for the rest of the campaign and alas, he never recovered his place in the team. He joined Bolton over the summer but after an impressive start has again found himself sidelined with an injury.

Richard Stearman

Another defender with Premier League experience, Stearman was one of those aboard the good ship Wolverhampton Wanderers as it sank into obscurity over the last two seasons.

He spent most of last season on loan with Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich Town but is now back playing with Wolves in League One. Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt have already done the ground work for O’Neill, convincing Stearman to get an Irish passport and in October, FIFA gave him the green light to play for the Republic.

Andy Lonergan

The Bolton goalkeeper and former Leeds United captain, has found himself in the starting line-up in recent weeks due to an Adam Bogdan injury and while we have a few choices for the goalkeeper role, the 30-year-old is worth keeping an eye on.

When it comes to international football he’s had a complicated past, playing for Ireland at U16s but then switching to England. However he has recently said he is open to an Ireland call-up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Flanagan and that polish lad maybe
    We have enough very average goalies at the minute.

I would like to see noble and Davies included and just given 2 mins in two competitive games and tied it us. After that they can worry about finding their irishness cos by that point they will be tied and at least they can't be called up to England and we lose out.if they never play again so be it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    What is refreshing is O'Neil's willingness to get off his arse.

Far from pleased to see Lonergan's name - the manner of his departure was not to his credit

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I have no problem with using the granny rule but something really sticks in my craw when we're going after players who are only interested because they're getting to a certain age.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Flanagan and that polish lad maybe
    We have enough very average goalies at the minute.

I would like to see noble and Davies included and just given 2 mins in two competitive games and tied it us. After that they can worry about finding their irishness cos by that point they will be tied and at least they can't be called up to England and we lose out.if they never play again so be it.
    Depressing list all the same...its not just because hes a Liverpool player but Flanagan has not impressed me any time ive watched them play.

Would agree about getting Davies and Noble on board. Noble is a good player - haven't seen enough of Davies or at least haven't noticed him when ive watched Hull (which is probably a good thing for a defender).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Can't be easy for Keane to sell the benefits of playing for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Flanagan didn't seem to do an awful lot wrong in an unfamiliar position on Sunday (although I think the first goal came from his part of the pitch) but I haven't seen enough of him to judge. You'd think if Andre Wisdom hadn't been on loan, he'd have been playing in his place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Does anyone remember the deal with Adam Hammill? I'm a Huddersfield fan so I've seen him quite a few times and twice in the last week against Sheff Weds and Burnley on Saturday and I really like him. He's not the next Damien Duff or McGeady but he's definitely as good as McClean and certainly better on the right wing than Walters. He loves to take a man on, has good delivery, is quick and skillful and rarely does anything stupid with the ball, winning corners or throw-ins where a lesser player would just lose possession. I'm a fan and he's definitely eligible.

(And I'm not biased.....we also have Scannell and he's WAY too inconsistent for international level and seems to have gotten to a level of ability that I can't see him surpass at this stage.)
    What did you think of Jake Carroll?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Far from pleased to see Lonergan's name - the manner of his departure was not to his credit
    What happened there exactly?

Fairly uninspiring quote from him here back in 2010 when he an enquiry was made by the FAI as to his availability: http://www.footballfancast.com/footb...eland-call-up/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lonergan
    They made an enquiry a few months ago but I refused. I might change my mind. My grandparents are Irish and my dad's family are Irish but I couldn’t imagine singing another country's national anthem. Obviously it would be financially rewarding.
    I was just checking out Barry Maguire as I hadn't heard anything about him in a while. It seems he re-signed for Den Bosch back in September: http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/maguire-via-...-oude-nest.htm

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Balls.ie review a few other potential "granny-rulers": http://balls.ie/football/5-granny-ru...ill-take-look/
    ]

Marc Tierney is a left full isn't he??
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Marc Tierney is a left full isn't he??
    He is actually.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Didn't someone on here, who lives in Liverpool, ask one of Flanagan's relations if he was eligible for us and the answer was no? I am sure I even thanked the poster! Can anyone enlighten me on this please?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Newtalk sports goon reported this morning on how "Conor Wickham, who is Irish" scored for Sheffield Wednesday last night. Although in fairness he does spell his name the Oirish way with one n so naturally we should be flinging a passport at him despite all those underage caps and goals for England

Edit-a quick googling of his Irishness uncovers Wickham, who qualifies for the Republic through his Northern Irish father Stefan, an Army warrant officer

Last edited by as_i_say; 04/12/2013 at 8:57 AM.
    I

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    He is actually.
    His brother Paul played under 21 for Ireland. Thought he would be a great player when I saw him in United's youth team way back then but he faded off the scene.