Page 243 of 257 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 5128

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Agree with most of that. My worry was that by going out of his way to recruit a wide player who has failed to nail down a place with Celtic or Scotland, he may be yearning for his favoured formation that doesn't suit the squad we have and proved to be largely ineffective. Am I right in thinking he only abandoned it when Barry was in post. If Johnson is a plan B option or an impact sub (if he can make an impact), then ok,

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    There's no harm in bringing Johnston aboard. Not bringing him in because we play 3-5-2/5-3-2 would be absurd. The more options we have, in terms of personnel and formations, the better.

I think where Johnston could be particularly valuable is in matches where we are the more dominant team/expected to win. He's trickier on the ball than many of our other options and will be able to open up space and create opportunities against teams parking the bus against us.

On the high end he becomes a starter for us and potentially a key player if he improves from where he's at now. At the low end I could see him being a useful squad option. This seems like a no risk, no brainer, with upside potential.
    Genuine question - have you ever seen the guy play?

(I haven't. But that detailed a post suggests you have. It's just it's odds with Poor Student's view, who I know is fairly knowledgeable about Celtic)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Johnston is one of the most brainless footballers I've ever seen. Has some good natural ability but just has such poor game intelligence and constantly makes bad decisions on the pitch. He's had woeful luck with injuries too.
    Johnston mcgeady. Kingdom must have an opinion on him so
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Genuine question - have you ever seen the guy play?

(I haven't. But that detailed a post suggests you have. It's just it's odds with Poor Student's view, who I know is fairly knowledgeable about Celtic)
    I've seen a few matches but would defer to those who follow Celtic more closely than I do. I just don't see the uproar about welcoming anyone into the fold. If he starts and he's poor, OK, let's deliver criticism then and debate whether he should be involved. But bringing him in, taking a look at him, and giving ourselves another option -- it makes no sense to me that anybody would be upset about this.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    I don't think anyone's upset by all this.

But there is a tendency to over-hype players because they're Irish, so in that regard you can understand me enquiring about the background to a very positive post like yours as against a fairly negative review from Poor Student (and again, I've never heard of the guy, do I'm relying on the good posters of foot.ie for info here)

Yeah, welcome him in, but (hypothetically) if Kenny is chasing after crap players, that might say something too.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 04/03/2023 at 4:17 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    443 Posts
    Probably a few others we could do with pursuing. Lads like Cirkin for LB and Egan Riley at Burnley who can play RB and CB. Few more wingers if there's any eligible but definitely some FBs, especially LB to give us the option of switching back to a back four.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    Egan-Riley would be a great acquisition I think, lots of promise there even if it hasn’t worked out so far with Burnley. We probably need Cirkin (or more specifically just need a good LB), especially if Manning isn’t going to cut it for Kenny.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    443 Posts
    Didn't know Egan Riley has went on loan to Hibs and has actually started as a DM in two of the four games and RB in another. Would definitely be great acquisition if he covered those three positions. We need someone that can cover for Cullen.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Didn't know Egan Riley has went on loan to Hibs and has actually started as a DM in two of the four games and RB in another. Would definitely be great acquisition if he covered those three positions. We need someone that can cover for Cullen.
    I remember seeing egan Riley play centre midfield for our under 16s a few years back didn't seem to.me to have the technical ability for it.

If we are bringing in players I'd like to see louie Barry come back to us for this 21s campaign there is a good footballer in there somewhere. Delap hasn't done a whole lot in senior football yet and his physicality was a big factor in what he was doing underage but I'd like to see him in the 21s I'd say his dad would be very proud

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    781 Posts
    Egan-Riley has done very well since going to Hibs. Too early to know whether he'll be senior international quality in future but he'd be a great addition to our Under 21 team in this coming campaign if we could get him in. He's a physical player more than a technical one, maybe surprising that Kompany brought him to Burnley. He'll be back out on loan again next season I'd say.

Louie Barry is probably ours if we want him at this point, but he seems to be falling away into obscurity unfortunately. I don't think he'd make our Under 21 team even.

Tom Cannon is currently outshining Delap at Preston.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Egan-Riley has done very well since going to Hibs. Too early to know whether he'll be senior international quality in future but he'd be a great addition to our Under 21 team in this coming campaign if we could get him in. He's a physical player more than a technical one, maybe surprising that Kompany brought him to Burnley. He'll be back out on loan again next season I'd say.

Louie Barry is probably ours if we want him at this point, but he seems to be falling away into obscurity unfortunately. I don't think he'd make our Under 21 team even.

Tom Cannon is currently outshining Delap at Preston.
    All fair points. For me its not all about only bringing lads in if they are better than what we have. I just.love the idea of lads getting a chance to play for their country and.maybe just maybe their country giving them.the chance to kick on a bit in their career. I only saw louie Barry play 3 times for us underage but he worked like a horse on a terrible pitch in rough weather and really looked like it meant something to him even if he was only doing it at the time for his grandparents. I'd love to think ifish involvement might give him a lift even if he never got near our senior side. Similarly for Egan Riley.

I never thought we missed out on a future star in Delap he always seemed to me to be overly reliant on physicality in city s academy but I love how his grandfather would surely be so proud to see him follow in Rorys footsteps and pull on a green Jersey even if he never moved up to senior level.

Cirkin to me is a lad who I wouldn't like to see get a call up. He hasn't shown any interest in us up to know and seems to have no significant connection with ireland . Similar to obafemi he was born here and lived here a very short while but unlike obafemi he didn't put himself forward for us when he could have at 16s and 17s.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Similar to obafemi he was born here and lived here a very short while but unlike obafemi he didn't put himself forward for us when he could have at 16s and 17s.
    Unlike Obafemi he was deemed good enough to play underage with England. You think Obafemi would have even thought about Ireland if he was playing for Englands underage. Plus Obafemi didn't join up until the 19s.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Unlike Obafemi he was deemed good enough to play underage with England. You think Obafemi would have even thought about Ireland if he was playing for Englands underage. Plus Obafemi didn't join up until the 19s.
    Obafemi played In the Premier league at 17 of course he was good enough to be involved with England Under 19s either that season or the following season. Cirkin never played in the Premier league for spurs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    obafemi played 17s and 18s. wikipedia says he didn't but it's wrong.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...roots-27213999

“I played all the way, well, not all the way but from U17s upwards. I didn't (see) the need to change. This is where I was born and where I should stay.”

transfermarkt has him down playing 18s and i have a memory of him in a squad with Glen McAuley early in the 17/18 season, before he was called up to the 19s the following month.
    Last edited by elatedscum; 04/03/2023 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

“I played all the way, well, not all the way but from U17s upwards. I didn't (see) the need to change. This is where I was born and where I should stay.”

transfermarkt has him down playing 18s and i have a memory of him in a squad with Glen McAuley early in the 17/18 season, before he was called up to the 19s the following month.
    Planned for the U18s in 2018
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/craw...r-slovakia-cup
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

I was going off transfermarkt, but they didn't have any game for the U18s listed and thought it was just a training camp.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, welcome him in, but (hypothetically) if Kenny is chasing after crap players, that might say something too.
    What exactly are you getting at here?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    I don't really agree with this -
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I just don't see the uproar about welcoming anyone into the fold. If he starts and he's poor, OK, let's deliver criticism then and debate whether he should be involved. But bringing him in, taking a look at him, and giving ourselves another option -- it makes no sense to me that anybody would be upset about this.
    I mean, first off, there's no uproar and no-one's upset; I'm not sure where that came from.

So yeah, let's see how he does - but it's a discussion forum. Let's talk about the guy rather than the dismissive "Why don't we see".

My initial reaction was to be a bit underwhelmed tbh. I know Poor Student is quite knowledgeably about Celtic and his post wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Johnston is 24 next month, playing at a non-top-three side in Portugal (Pádraig Amond did that too, albeit he never started a league game) and despite being in the Scotland underage setup he's not been called up for the senior side so far as I'm aware. Are we tapping up Scotland cast-offs? That's not great.

The last player who "signed" was I think CJ Hamilton last year. That hasn't really gone anywhere. I just wonder are we we throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks? Is our scouting all that effective? Or maybe this is all we can get. I don't know of course.

And obviously I'm not about to boo him if comes off the bench or anything like that.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    I think in fairness there's not as much of an emphasis on going after dual players for the seniors as there was in the past, England have done a better job of giving 1 or 2 caps to Premiership level qualified players so we are kinda left with the CJ Hamiltons of the world instead of being able to get a James Madison.

We do still go after players but early and for the vast majority they stay with us. Smallbone, Hodge, Coventry, Obafemi etc. We've also done a good job of keeping dual players who could play for an African country up to this point. I'm sure there'll come a day when someone born in Ireland will play for Nigeria or something and he'll be a big loss.

My point is that my reaction to Johnson was meh, but he was an exciting player at Celtic before he had major injuries so we'll see, but the days of getting a team like Jack did are long gone, our scouting and recruiting are done at much younger age
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 05/03/2023 at 4:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    For me, it just gives us another interesting and high potential player to watch out for who could make a difference for us if he reaches the potential that a lot saw in him a few years ago. Hard to argue he deserves a call up and cap already.

Worrying enough that Kenny’s comments seem to suggest he sees him playing a large role in the upcoming campaign. His argument was he’s a player with qualities we don’t have but need. I’m not sold if he’s sticking with a 3-5-2. Maybe a bench option.