Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 87 of 257 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Wow- that was fast. I somehow completely missed that! Thanks Joe!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Sure how could he have an Irish father with that surname. you can search posts skstu!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Not many google results for that name either. I'm not sure he'd pass a gut test with pictures like this:

Looks determined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Sure how could he have an Irish father with that surname. you can search posts skstu!
    I thought he might be related to the Schmiedebachs out of Horseleap.

(the search function here is awful)

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Thats true it is

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Jonjoe Kenny made his debut for Everton today and also played a part in Oxford's promotion while on loan there - anyone know firstly if he qualifies for us (yes, yes, I know the caveat about Merseysiders with Irish-sounding names) and secondly if there's any chance of him switching, having played for England up to U-19 level

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Well, having played for Oxford automatically makes him an undeserving chancer. No way is it humanly possible a good young payer at Oxford can go on to greater things in a short time period. Finn Harps or Preston maybe, but not Oxford.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Jonjoe Kenny made his debut for Everton today and also played a part in Oxford's promotion while on loan there - anyone know firstly if he qualifies for us (yes, yes, I know the caveat about Merseysiders with Irish-sounding names) and secondly if there's any chance of him switching, having played for England up to U-19 level
    Hi Sam-I looked into this with some Everton fans a couple months back and no intel back from them at all so I just left him a tweet. Will let you know if he replies. Not sure that he'd be for turning at this stage - England u19 cap, promoted with Oxford and made his epl debut for Everton.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Not many google results for that name either. I'm not sure he'd pass a gut test with pictures like this:

Looks determined.
    Neither him or Alan are passing the "get the ball" test anyway. Maybe he's no loss.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 16/05/2016 at 12:04 AM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Bored at my desk I was looking at the Everton Reserve & Youth Teams and noticed a lot of Irish names in there. One that stuck out though - Conor McAleny - not sure if he's been discussed before but whilst doing my research (an in depth twitter dissection) I noted that amongst his likes were a couple of tweets about the centenary of the 1916 rising!

Call him up Trap!!!!
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Any mention of Crowley at press conference? Not convinced there was a recent meeting with O'Neill. There was last year. Since played for Eng
    https://twitter.com/RobBrennan82/sta...30802313592832

Thought as much.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 16/05/2016 at 2:17 PM. Reason: embedded tweet in quotes - it looked like it was your opinion

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Conor McAleny

found this on Toffee talk from a while back
    'Louis', on 11 Dec 2011 - 02:07, said:
    You may have noticed that he has an Irish surname, he's said he'd like to play for Ireland but it's not possible as he doesn't meet FIFA's requirements, (it is his great grandparents who are Irish, had it been his grandparents then he'd be eligible for Ireland).

Also another post in response to the above

'Louis', on 11 Dec 2011 - 02:07, said:
    You may have noticed that he has an Irish surname, he's said he'd like to play for Ireland but it's not possible as he doesn't meet FIFA's requirements, (it is his great grandparents who are Irish, had it been his grandparents then he'd be eligible for Ireland).
    The majority of people born in Liverpool have 'Irish blood' and should be allowed to play for them. Liverpool should be an independent state or even a part of Wales. England is just on the post-code, the proofs in our grandparents surnames the majority of scousers will have 2 grandparents with Irish surnames, one with a Welsh surname then a toss up between English or Scottish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Any mention of Crowley at press conference? Not convinced there was a recent meeting with O'Neill. There was last year. Since played for Eng
    https://twitter.com/RobBrennan82/sta...30802313592832

Thought as much.
    we already knew that. There were reports of a meeting last year in late September, and he played in two of England's three U19 games in October.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Bored at my desk I was looking at the Everton Reserve & Youth Teams and noticed a lot of Irish names in there. One that stuck out though - Conor McAleny - not sure if he's been discussed before but whilst doing my research (an in depth twitter dissection) I noted that amongst his likes were a couple of tweets about the centenary of the 1916 rising!

Call him up Trap!!!!
    I'm not sure if they have been mentioned, but Kieran O'Neill Dowell (18) made his full debut for Everton yesterday and Jonjoe Kenny (19) came on to make his debut as well. Both have played for England throughout the age groups. As has been mentioned regarding other players from the area, I wouldn't be surprised if their connection was too far back, but who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Tommy McNamera from NYCFC is eligible.
    “I have an Irish passport. I’ve had it for almost 10 years now,” McNamara told MLSsoccer.com after training Thursday. “Someone from the FAI reached out and wanted to confirm whether I did have a passport or not.”

That inquiry, McNamara said, has been within the last year. The 25-year-old has dual citizenship because his grandfather on his father’s side was born in Ireland.

McNamara said he hasn’t heard from anyone at US Soccer and would be open to playing for either team.

“I think it’s an honor to represent the national team,” McNamara said. “Obviously I qualify for both and it would be an honor to represent either.”

McNamara said he hasn’t given that decision much thought because he’s busy with his day-to-day responsibilities in his second season with NYCFC. He has gotten off to a great start with two goals and one assist in four starts, meaning he is well on his way towards matching and surpassing his five-goal, three-assist breakout effort in 2015.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...wn-interest-me

I've seen him play a few times, hard worker but not a lot of skill.

Last edited by Metrostars; 17/05/2016 at 2:52 PM.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    I've seen him play a few times, hard worker but not a lot of skill.
    He'd fit right in then.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    There are a few things that are a bit perplexing about our links to American-born players. The three that we've been linked with have been Neagle, Meara and McNamara. Firstly, we gave the US a right good drubbing last time we met. I'd conclude that we are better. So, it's not like the England situation whereby players often throw their lot in with us because they don't fancy they'll get selected for England, because England are better. The funny thing is that the American-born players named above aren't really near the US squad. How do they reckon we'll pick them? And the sense of Irish identity is very strong among Irish-Americans so why haven't a better standard of player claimed for us?

I guess there are a lot of complications involved in this one, in terms of geography (further away) and the fact that eligibility is trickier to ascertain and might not always exist.

In conclusion, how has Shane O'Neill done at Cambridge United?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    There are a few things that are a bit perplexing about our links to American-born players. The three that we've been linked with have been Neagle, Meara and McNamara. Firstly, we gave the US a right good drubbing last time we met. I'd conclude that we are better. So, it's not like the England situation whereby players often throw their lot in with us because they don't fancy they'll get selected for England, because England are better. The funny thing is that the American-born players named above aren't really near the US squad. How do they reckon we'll pick them? And the sense of Irish identity is very strong among Irish-Americans so why haven't a better standard of player claimed for us?

I guess there are a lot of complications involved in this one, in terms of geography (further away) and the fact that eligibility is trickier to ascertain and might not always exist.

In conclusion, how has Shane O'Neill done at Cambridge United?
    I don't put much stock in friendlies so saying Ireland beat the US in a friendly doesn't automatically make Ireland better. I'm a close observer of both teams and would say they are fairly even. Very similar in that neither have any superstars and both rely on more grit and organization than skill to overcome better opponents. The one thing the US has going for them is MLS that is providing more depth for the national team.

As for US players for Ireland, the ones mentioned like Meara and McNamara are Irish passport holders and are not capped by the US so that makes them eligible. Plus it was the FAI who were sounding them out, not the other way round. In any case, they are not top tier players even in MLS. There are tons of other US players better than them who've been capped by the US.

Also, why should geography be an issue? It hasn't stopped US/Mexican/South American players trekking back and forth to Europe for internationals since forever. I think that is a more UK/Ireland problem i.e. looking outside their borders for players and going abroad to play.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Aymen Ben Mohamed called up by Tunisia.

http://www.the42.ie/aymen-ben-mohame...78012-May2016/

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Aymen Ben Mohamed called up by Tunisia.

http://www.the42.ie/aymen-ben-mohame...78012-May2016/
    Great development for him, great for the league too. Hope he does well.