Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Will Keane was never part of the Ireland setup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Had a Dunphy moment there.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 19/03/2016 at 6:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    There are more still declaring for Northern Ireland who fans are getting in a tizzy over - even though they might actually want to play for NI.
    Which players are you referring to?

Yet more like Connor Wickham and Kyle Naughton who have shown zilch interest in declaring, yet fans still clamour for the FAI to invest more resources in trying to court them.
    Is anyone actually clamouring for the inclusion of Wickham and Naughton? Some people have suggested that the FAI invest in employing a sort of scout/ambassador, such as Lee Carsley (although he found himself a role with the FA since offering his services to the FAI and being turned down) or Kevin Kilbane, so as to enhance our chances of convincing undecided dual nationals generally to opt for us, but that's rather different from how you're presenting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Some people have suggested that the FAI invest in employing a sort of scout/ambassador, such as Lee Carsley (although he found himself a role with the FA since offering his services to the FAI and being turned down) or Kevin Kilbane, so as to enhance our chances of convincing undecided dual nationals generally to opt for us, but that's rather different from how you're presenting it.
    Do we not have that? I remember McCarthy certainly had a scout going around England looking for eligible players. Though he wasn't a high profile name like Carsley or Kilbane
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Conor Washington off the top of my head.

And I think that's a complete waste of time because if they are talented enough to play for England, they will generally play for England, and if they are not, they will generally play for Ireland. And if they couldn't be arsed like Jamie O'Hara, Mark Noble, Curtis Davies or Kyle Naughton, then they couldn't be arsed and there's no point trying to drop a curtsy to them.

And Fixer, we have always had people in those roles. Though maybe we will have more success trying to convince the future Grealish's and Bamford's to stick with us if legends of the game like Steven Reid and Lee Carsley come knocking on their door.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Thanks to Danny Invicible and Fixer for coming to my aid, In a perfect world we would have a conveyor belt of the next homegrown Shane Long and Seamie Coleman tip toeing to the Senior Squad every couple of seasons, This is clearly not the case. Whether we like it or not or want to admit it or not - we have to improve our recruitment of potentially eligible players. Surely Kilbane and Steven Reid acting as Recruitement ambassadors would be a major step in the right direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    There is no drastic need to improve player recruitment.

Cyrus Christie, David McGoldrick and Harry Arter all showed interest in declaring for Ireland.

As did Sean St Ledger and Paul Green before them.

As have Richard Stearman and Luke Chambers currently.

We have a conveyor belt of English born players playing at each of our underage levels - most of whom drift away from the Intl set up without making any kind of impact.

I suspect you think we need to improve something to attract players of the calibre of Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Patrick Bamford, Wayne Rooney, Gary Cahill, Kyle Naughton, Curtis Davies, Mark Noble and several other high-profile players who have been approached with no success.

I'd love to know what you think we could do to improve our chances of attaining these players and convincing them they should play for Ireland and not England, because up until now they have vehemently rejected any approaches.

Even Jamie O'Hara and Jermaine Pennant have been laissez-faire about playing for Ireland and they have little hope of gaining Intl recognition with England.

I suggest you be happy with what we have got.

Whatever about their ability and motivations behind playing for us, recent recruits like Christie & McGoldrick at least have an itch to play for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Conor Washington off the top of my head.
    Idle forum speculation from bored football fans isn't quite the same thing as people getting in a tizzy.

And I think that's a complete waste of time because if they are talented enough to play for England, they will generally play for England, and if they are not, they will generally play for Ireland. And if they couldn't be arsed like Jamie O'Hara, Mark Noble, Curtis Davies or Kyle Naughton, then they couldn't be arsed and there's no point trying to drop a curtsy to them.
    Well, you'll never know unless you ask. Not all players are as proactive as you assume. Isn't that how Ciaran Clark was recruited? He was delighted to jump on board as soon as he was asked. In fact, some players might be reluctant to make the first move lest it wouldn't work out (which would have the effect of also compromising their status or position with their original association) or for fear they'd come across as a bit presumptuous. I personally know of at least one switching player to whom that applied for a time, which resulted in a period of impasse as our under-age management were also reluctant to communicate with the player first out of fear of upsetting the IFA.

And Fixer, we have always had people in those roles. Though maybe we will have more success trying to convince the future Grealish's and Bamford's to stick with us if legends of the game like Steven Reid and Lee Carsley come knocking on their door.
    Slag off the potential impact an experienced former dual-national player like Carsley (who's been through it all before) could have in advising/encouraging a young uncertain player all you want, but the FA saw worth in giving him an ambassadorial role (same role in which the FAI saw no value). And that's with the cards already being firmly in the FA's favour anyway, in terms of clout due to their stature and the related financial benefits associated with declaring for England.

I suspect you think we need to improve something to attract players of the calibre of Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Patrick Bamford, Wayne Rooney, Gary Cahill, Kyle Naughton, Curtis Davies, Mark Noble and several other high-profile players who have been approached with no success.

I'd love to know what you think we could do to improve our chances of attaining these players and convincing them they should play for Ireland and not England, because up until now they have vehemently rejected any approaches.
    He's been pretty clear already; he'd like to see the FAI employ an ambassador like Kevin Kilbane (who knows what he's talking about and is a fantastic example to lead; a consummate pro) to do the bidding and demystify the whole process for young dual-national players.

I suggest you be happy with what we have got.
    Oddly defeatist thing to say and you'd never apply that rule to other aspects of the team.

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Actually in Clark's case he didn't even know he was allowed play for Ireland. Went and initiated the process himself when Dunne told him he was.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this, Everything that could be done should be done to encourage potentially eligible players to declare for us, Using high profile ex Internationals such as Kilbane would be the very least one would expect of the FAI, If a young player of dual nationality decides not to come our way- so be it. At least we could say we had given it our best shot, That is presently not the case. On another note good to see Scott Hogan of Brentford return to first team duty after a terrible run of injuries, Hogan qualifies and was called up to the U 21's in 2014

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph 1 View Post
    Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this, Everything that could be done should be done to encourage potentially eligible players to declare for us, Using high profile ex Internationals such as Kilbane would be the very least one would expect of the FAI, If a young player of dual nationality decides not to come our way- so be it. At least we could say we had given it our best shot, That is presently not the case. On another note good to see Scott Hogan of Brentford return to first team duty after a terrible run of injuries, Hogan qualifies and was called up to the U 21's in 2014
    A lot of potential there with Hogan. He could turn out to be a real find if he can find his form after finding his fitness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Actually in Clark's case he didn't even know he was allowed play for Ireland. Went and initiated the process himself when Dunne told him he was.
    Now you've done it. He's going to be writing a 5,000 word thesis to refute that point.

The situation with Noble has been clear for some time, a couple of Years ago his agent felt his Irish roots may have been helpful in forcing England to give Mr Noble the nod. The important point here is we have qualified for Euro 2016 and yet no potentially eligible player such as Bambford, Redmond or Keane have come our way. Previous Tournament Qualifications have always led to a player or 2 coming our way. The FAI have to review our recruitment policy and enlist ex Internationals such as Kevin Kilbane and Steven Reid to help improve a system that not only identifies players but actually succeeds in increasing the Quality and Quantity of player available at U 21 and Senior level.
    I don't think anyone needs to demystify the process for Bamford or Keane. They have already played for Ireland and switched back to England. Redmond doesn't want to play for Ireland as yet.

I suggested he be happy with what we have got because Christie, McGoldrick and Arter have been proactive about playing for Ireland whereas the dozen or so other players I have mentioned in my previous posts are ambivalent about it.

Doubt financial clout or stature comes into it for most of the players concerned. Davies, O'Hara, Noble & Naughton all could have made more money and increased their clout by declaring for Ireland 6 years ago but haven't. Doubt finances were main driving force for lads like Rooney, Cahill and Bamford.

I have read lots of comments re: Washington from Ireland fans demanding why he has not been approached/integrated completely disregarding the possibility that he may want to play for NI.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 20/03/2016 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Now you've done it. He's going to be writing a 5,000 word thesis to refute that point.
    Why would I refute it? Charlie's point supports the position that it's best to go ahead and ask dual nationals rather than just assume they're not interested. Had Clark been asked earlier before Dunne mentioned it to him, maybe he'd have switched sooner. Anyway, he's just one example I plucked out of my head. Even if his specific case wasn't relevant, the general point would still stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    I've no interest in reffing debates between you two again, do us all a favour and block each other
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    According to @MLSAnalyst on twitter, there's been an inquiry for New York City FC midfielder Tommy McNamara: https://twitter.com/MLSAnalyst/statu...10797185466368
    Told there's been a preliminary inquiry from Ireland re: Tommy McNamara. He has a passport. #NYCvNE
    Just scored for NYC FC against New England Revolution
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph 1 View Post
    Hogan qualifies and was called up to the U 21's in 2014
    Was he? I remember talk of him being eligible but I don't recall it leading to a call up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Troy Deeney in talks with the Nordies. You would imagine he also qualifies for us if he does for them but from this article it doesn't look like he has any intention of playing for anyone other than England. Would be a great addition though http://www.skysports.com/watch/tv-sh...reland-contact

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    His great grandfather is from Northern Ireland.

http://www.the42.ie/troy-deeney-euro...82933-Mar2016/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The42.ie
    The country [IFA] have previously explored the possibility of picking Deeney, given his great grandfather hails from the country, but Fifa rules state that a player must have a parent or grandparent from the nation they wish to play for to be eligible.

However, the door is seemingly still open for the in-form Watford forward, who has scored nine goals in 29 league games for his club this season.
    Hmm. Annoyingly vague, that; how could the door be "seemingly still open" for him if he doesn't have a parent or grandparent from the north?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Hmm. Annoyingly vague, that; how could the door be "seemingly still open" for him if he doesn't have a parent or grandparent from the north?
    Hoping not to come off too cynical but could this be a planted story intended to maybe expedite his elevation to the England squad???
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi