Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 45 of 264 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,372 Posts
    last post moved to the eligibility thread. next time I have to move a post, the author can have a week to think about their next one.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Sorry, tets. I thought it would be kosher as I was discussing two players featured in the thread title, but it won't happen again, I swear.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    This moderation thing has really changed you tets. I miss the old Adam of a kinder gentler time. The Adam that threw himself on top of a lime thrown by Faroe Islands fans at us because you thought it was a hand grenade. The Adam who talked POSH off of that rooftop after the Henry hand of God. The Adam who gently told a tearful Charlie Darwin that Michael Jackson had died. The Adam who picked Stutts up off his feet and twirled him high in the air to the delight of all the guests at the 2010 Foot.ie Charity Christmas ball. The Adam that................

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    ........the Adam that went to Crackbird?

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Noble doesn't seem to consider himself Irish in any real sense, which is his right.
    This seems to be true, but I wouldn't have any problem with him playing for Ireland even if he felt that way. As long as he could make a worthwhile contribution on the pitch and improve us as a team, I'm not bothered.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    This seems to be true, but I wouldn't have any problem with him playing for Ireland even if he felt that way. As long as he could make a worthwhile contribution on the pitch and improve us as a team, I'm not bothered.
    Fair enough, but international football isn't like club football to me. If somebody isn't Irish, they shouldn't be playing for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Segment on Soccer Republic now with Clinton Morrison and other former internationals talking about Noble for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McAteer claims he was asked to represent England a week before Jack called him up, but we were always his preference so he went with us. I'd never known that. How did he qualify again?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    What's Clinton's opinion? He reminds me of Noble in terms of his desire to initially represent England before declaring for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    McAteer claims he was asked to represent England a week before Jack called him up, but we were always his preference so he went with us. I'd never known that. How did he qualify again?
    McAteer's grandparents are Irish, I believe. I don't know who asked him to represent England (John something) but it must have been the senior team as he was 23 at the time Jack called him up.

gastric, Clinton said it's understandable if you take a month or two over the decision, but Noble has been humming and hawing for two years now and he reckons the current squad members won't accept him if he does declare. Kilbane said anyone after U21 when they've gone through all the England youth teams, it's too late and Ireland shouldn't be your consolation prize.

14. Thanks From:

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McAteer's grandparents are Irish, I believe. I don't know who asked him to represent England (John something) but it must have been the senior team as he was 23 at the time Jack called him up.
    Were they from the north? For some reason, I thought he had northern connections. Maybe Down?

Didn't catch the surname of the John either. I'm sure Balls.ie or someone will YouTube the segment.

Edit: The episode is on RTÉ Player now anyway: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10321894/

The segment on Noble begins at 38 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Were they from the north? For some reason, I thought he had northern connections. Maybe Down?

Didn't catch the surname of the John either. I'm sure Balls.ie or someone will YouTube the segment.
    Not sure, to be honest. Google is telling me Derry but the only source is a message board.

I know the name of the guy McAteer said but I'm just drawing a blank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Segment on Soccer Republic now with Clinton Morrison and other former internationals talking about Noble for Ireland.
    Kerr said it's the managers job to use the rules, Clinton said it's a no brainer and Stuart Byrne said it doesn't sit easy with him.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 08/09/2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Thanks Charlie
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Kerr said it's the managers job to use the rules
    Yet he was critical of the FAI selecting northern players a few years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Kerr said it's the managers job to use the rules, Clinton said it's a no brainer and the other lad said it doesn't sit easy with him.
    Stuey Byrne.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yet he was critical of the FAI selecting northern players a few years back.
    Seems to have gotten over his bitterness a bit alright.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/m...m-1572620.html
    The day before Bolton played Oldham in the sixth round of the FA Cup, McAteer had a visitor. It was Jimmy Armfield, "with a message direct from Terry Venables" offering the midfielder a place in the England B squad. McAteer, stunned and delighted, accepted. But on the day of the match, who should pull up in the car park but Jack Charlton. Now there was the prospect of a full cap for the Republic of Ireland, for whom McAteer was also qualified through an Irish-born grandfather.
    "It was a big decision, the biggest since when I left school," McAteer said. And when the difficult call rejecting England had to be made, it was Bruce Rioch, the Bolton manager, who picked up the phone. "I stayed out of Jimmy Armfield's way for a while, I can tell you," McAteer said. "Though funnily enough, I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he shook my hand and said `Well done'." With 12 caps to McAteer's name - it probably would have become 13 on Wednesday had he not been withdrawn from the squad to play England - how could Armfield have said otherwise?

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/m...m-1572620.html
    The day before Bolton played Oldham in the sixth round of the FA Cup, McAteer had a visitor. It was Jimmy Armfield, "with a message direct from Terry Venables" offering the midfielder a place in the England B squad. McAteer, stunned and delighted, accepted. But on the day of the match, who should pull up in the car park but Jack Charlton. Now there was the prospect of a full cap for the Republic of Ireland, for whom McAteer was also qualified through an Irish-born grandfather.
    "It was a big decision, the biggest since when I left school," McAteer said. And when the difficult call rejecting England had to be made, it was Bruce Rioch, the Bolton manager, who picked up the phone. "I stayed out of Jimmy Armfield's way for a while, I can tell you," McAteer said. "Though funnily enough, I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he shook my hand and said `Well done'." With 12 caps to McAteer's name - it probably would have become 13 on Wednesday had he not been withdrawn from the squad to play England - how could Armfield have said otherwise?
    Jimmy Armfield, thank you! I was thinking Arneson for some reason and all that brought up was Frank Arnesen. That's basically what McAteer said. He was called by Armfield and he was delighted with that but he was holding hope that Jack would ring him, and then when he was offered a "full" cap he jumped at it.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Apologies if this link was already posted, or feel free to switch to Eligibility thread?
    (Maybe the two threads should be merged?)

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/pre...s-ireland-miss