What if he's had Irish in him?

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    It's ridiculous to compare his situation to Noble's for any number of reasons, not least the fact that the latter [Noble] isn't remotely Irish.
    The problem exists precisely because Noble is remotely Irish.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Ronnie O'Brien probably played little more than a dozen matches after that story. Also, he had just returned from one of a myriad of injuries that dogged his career. He retired at 28 for God's sake. It's ridiculous to compare his situation to Noble's for any number of reasons, not least the fact that the latter isn't remotely Irish.
    Mr Ad Nauseam, can I just point out to you that Noble is more Irish than Noe Baba and Tony Cascarino. Are you implying that we should not play Baba because 'he isn't remotely Irish'? If they qualify for an Irish passport, they are Irish in the eyes of the judiciary and that should be good enough for everybody. You really need to stop the emotional and inflammatory outbursts which can cause offence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    You bringing up Noe Baba is more offensive than anything I said, gastric. I've met the lad and he doesn't belong in the same sentence as Noble. He's been in Ireland since he was a young child, speaks with an Irish accent, has been coached in Ireland and has played with dedication for this country.

It's offensive to me that Mark Noble is being touted as an Irish International. I don't want the likes of him - and his attitude - playing for my country. Stuff like this is making a mockery of the game. If it was Diego Costa or Deco I might lose sleep over it but Mark Noble? Jesus wept we aren't that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    My comments weren't offensive, they were trying to show you that your comment about being 'remotely Irish' were wrong. So an Irish accent and living in Ireland plus if a player is world class are your criteria for playing for Ireland? Yes, your views are offensive, irrational and emotional. So should we not let Noble have an Irish passport because he doesn't meet your criteria? Jesus certainly is weeping.
    Last edited by gastric; 06/09/2014 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It's pretty simple gastric. Mark Noble is not motivated enough to play for Ireland and if he does it is for all the wrong reasons. You are entitled to your opinions and so am I. I don't think I have ever belittled yours quite like you have just belittled mine? *Open to correction on that*

If you think Noble is going to drastically change our fortunes and if you have no problem with a 27 year old coming in to take the place of an Irish player once he finally realises he isn't good enough for England, that's your prerogative.

Yes! I do think having an Irish upbringing, Irish accent, Irish schooling, Irish coaching, playing for your country all through the age groups and captaining your country all count for something, gastric.

I was sarcastic when I brought up Diego Costa and Deco. Their defections to Spain and Portugal sum up a lot of what is wrong with modern football, but they are/were some of the best footballers in the world.

We are talking about Mark Noble, who - no disrespect - is not able to get a squad place for the worst England team in over twenty years.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 06/09/2014 at 10:30 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think this discussion on who is "more Irish" belittles us all. As far as I'm concerned, if you consider yourself Irish, that's good enough for me. Baba does, Cascarino presumably does to some extent, even if they weren't born here or even lived here in Cas's case. Noble doesn't seem to consider himself Irish in any real sense, which is his right.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    My issue is your comment that 'he is not remotely Irish'. He is entitled to an Irish passport and therefore Irish if he so decides. What I don't understand, and hence my sarcasm, is what you believe makes someone Irish. Granted, Noble's motivations are presently questionable, but don't use the phrase 'remotely Irish.' As someone whose children are entitled to both Australian and Irish passports, I take offence to your comments. O'Neill and Roy will do what is best for success in Irish football and I support what they are doing. That is their brief and making the Euro Finals is what is important. As I said before, your comments are emotional and idealistic and lack logic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Do you honestly think Mark Noble considers himself Irish in any way? Yes. He's entitled to an Irish passport and won't get one until he decides he wants to play International football. Go figure.

OK if you think bringing Mark Noble into the squad is the secret to reaching the Euro finals, that's your opinion. I think something else entirely.

To me, your comments are just as emotional, idealistic and lacking in logic as mine.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Do you honestly think Mark Noble considers himself Irish in any way? Yes. He's entitled to an Irish passport and won't get one until he decides he wants to play International football. Go figure.

OK if you think bringing Mark Noble into the squad is the secret to reaching the Euro finals, that's your opinion. I think something else entirely.

To me, your comments are just as emotional, idealistic and lacking in logic as mine.

As I have said before, nationality is a journey and Noble may be starting his. His background means legally he is entitled to an Irish passport which does not make him 'remotely Irish'. He is another option in midfield, not the saviour. With a population of 4.6 million we need all the options we can muster. I do not how you can find this statement emotional, it is just factual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    You can see their point though TOWK, right? You come off as a tad xenophobic sometimes. I for one am quite proud of my Irish blood, but my accent is more Bobby Deniro than Bobby Sands.

15. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    You can see their point though TOWK, right? You come off as a tad xenophobic sometimes. I for one am quite proud of my Irish blood, but my accent is more Bobby Deniro than Bobby Sands.
    I've long suspected you have had more than a little bit of Irish in you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Because I said Mark Noble isn't remotely Irish? He would probably agree with me. I don't think he'd be offended by my saying that at all.

Why do I always have to be the bad guy? You would almost swear I made a controversial statement like "Kevin Kilbane isn't remotely Irish".

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Because I said Mark Noble isn't remotely Irish? He would probably agree with me. I don't think he'd be offended by my saying that at all.

Why do I always have to be the bad guy? You would almost swear I made a controversial statement like "Kevin Kilbane isn't remotely Irish".
    For God's sake, rather than play the victim starting LISTENING! Your comments often cause offence. Many on here have tried to explain to you why they cause offence, but you simply trivialise their opinions. Your concept of Irishness alienates many, is not in line with Irish law and is simplistic and myopic. Could you please start to try and comprehend why this is so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    gastric, could you please be a little balanced and acknowledge the fact that my hostility and suspicion towards Noble is shared by a lot of Irish football fans and even a lot of lads on this forum. Thank you.

I think you are ruling with your heart and not your head on this one.

And your comment about Baba - offended is a strong word - didn't sit right with me either so let's just shake hands and call it a night.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 07/09/2014 at 12:16 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Again, you fail to listen. It is your concept of Irishness that causes offence and alienates many on here. Irishness is more than accents, where they trained or footballing ability. it is about to be accepted as Irish outside of your myopic, simplistic view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    My concept of Irishness? It really has nothing to do with Irishness, gastric. Wayne Rooney is more in touch with his Irish roots than Mark Noble but he is playing for England because he is English and he is good enough to play for England. Mark Noble is not in touch with his Irish roots, wants to play for England and Ireland is a fall back option. His Irish heritage is not a badge of honor but a tool he can use to attain International football. This is not conjecture on my part.

I'm not insensitive or clueless as to what constitutes Irishness. Kevin Kilbane, for all his faults, is proud of his Irish background. Jack Grealish and Daniel Crowley are too; though ultimately I don't think this is what is delaying Jack's decision as to what country he will declare for.

I think it is frankly ridiculous to put Noble on a pedestal with Noe Baba and Ronnie O'Brien when Noble is a proud Englishman and O'Brien is a proud Irishman. Baba too; why he is he any less Irish just because he was born in Cameroon? He came to this country just before he turned 10 and he has gained all of his International caps for Ireland. He has served Ireland with distinction and loyalty, with words and actions; unlike Noble.

Yes. I am quite aware that I rub some people up the wrong way sometimes but it is not my intention to do so, gastric. I am opinionated and I offer no apologies for that. There is really no need to speak on behalf of others in an effort to demean me.

Now can we agree to disagree again?
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 07/09/2014 at 12:47 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    My concept of Irishness? It really has nothing to do with Irishness, gastric. Wayne Rooney is more in touch with his Irish roots than Mark Noble but he is playing for England because he is English and he is good enough to play for England. Mark Noble is not in touch with his Irish roots, wants to play for England and Ireland is a fall back option. His Irish heritage is not a badge of honor but a tool he can use to attain International football. This is not conjecture on my part.

I'm not insensitive or clueless as to what constitutes Irishness. Kevin Kilbane, for all his faults, is proud of his Irish background. Jack Grealish and Daniel Crowley are too; though ultimately I don't think this is what is delaying Jack's decision as to what country he will declare for.

I think it is frankly ridiculous to put Noble on a pedestal with Noe Baba and Ronnie O'Brien when Noble is a proud Englishman and O'Brien is a proud Irishman. Baba too; why he is he any less Irish just because he was born in Cameroon? He came to this country just before he turned 10 and he has gained all of his International caps for Ireland. He has served Ireland with distinction and loyalty, with words and actions; unlike Noble.

Yes. I am quite aware that I rub some people up the wrong way sometimes but it is not my intention to do so, gastric. I am opinionated and I offer no apologies for that. There is really no need to speak on behalf of others in an effort to demean me.

Now can we agree to disagree again?
    Demean you? You do that yourself TOWK. Your inability to comprehend explains why 'you are always the bad guy' on here to quote you. I don't know why you feel it necessary to lecture me about Noe Baba. I accept him completely as an Irishman, my point was that technically Noble has more ancestral Irish roots than Baba, and like Baba, can claim to be Irish, just as my kids can and as Crosby can, despite his accent and quirky posts! That journey might just start for Noble if he declares for us. Who are you to judge others' journey? Your posts are narrow minded and as Crosby said possibly 'a tad xenophobic' and it seems your comprehension skills are ordinary too.
    Last edited by gastric; 07/09/2014 at 2:10 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Peeps,
    Does it Really matter?
    Noble & 99% of Irish soccer players don't care what we think...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Alright, enough. Back on topic.
    There's a thread for debating nationality, eligibility, etc - use it.