Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/...being-23581880

Very good player, very unlucky with injuries. Lots of talented wingers in 2003 - it's probably the position which it is most stacked, that combined with injuries and 2 years of no international football for his age group due to covid have probably halted Harkin's progress. Still, would be a real shame to lose him.
    The funny thing is that this story gets reported. He's born in the 6 counties and has represented us. Of course NI will be chasing and making a case. They probably do that for every single lad in the same position, no? Reporting it then to ramp up a little pressure on the lad.

Either way, you'd think he's keen to play with us given that it was his first and immediate inclination. I don't think he's as far down the rankings as Charlie McCann was when he switched so if Harkin's head was ever turned there is surely a compelling case to be made.

Hopefully it doesn't get that far.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    CJ Hamilton is now eligible for selection: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-41544071.html

I remember seeing him play for Blackpool in this friendly and he stood out as Blackpool's best player by a good margin. Kept an eye after that and have seen a few games since. Very talented but equally capable of missing sitters, lots of good, lots of bad... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fqMpHJG2g

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    CJ Hamilton is now eligible for selection: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-41544071.html

I remember seeing him play for Blackpool in this friendly and he stood out as Blackpool's best player by a good margin. Kept an eye after that and have seen a few games since. Very talented but equally capable of missing sitters, lots of good, lots of bad... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fqMpHJG2g
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...d-for-ireland/

Few quotes re Hamilton here.

Apparently he's done well enough at Blackpool recently after having a tough time with injuries since he joined. At his age and experience he might just be an option as opposed to a pick.

McNamara is probably a good bit closer given his under 21 exposure and age and has played much more than Hamilton and we could do with a young option there.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    'CJ is a flying machine, him and Ogbene together would be electrifying for Ireland'

https://www.the42.ie/cj-hamilton-ire...37409-Apr2022/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    'CJ is a flying machine, him and Ogbene together would be electrifying for Ireland'

https://www.the42.ie/cj-hamilton-ire...37409-Apr2022/
    Add Ebosele and, hopefully, Obafemi at his limit, and we could really start to scare defences.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    kinda disappointed that no one in the FAI knew about CJ Hamilton. Pretty sure someone on one of the threads here posted that he was eligible in summer 2020 and there were articles about him and his background a little later.

Not blaming Kenny as I think it's more of an organisational issue within the FAI, and I think we've much improved in that respect under Stephen but I feel there's probably still a lot of stones being left unturned. For example, I could be wrong but I'd doubt there's anyone in the FAI who's heard of Liam Tiernan or Paul Nebel. By all account Mark O'Toole does excellent work in the UK finding kids early in their development but the late bloomers or the people based outside the UK or Ireland seem to often be ignored.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    kinda disappointed that no one in the FAI knew about CJ Hamilton.
    I didn't get where I am today without scrupulously researching players' eligibility.

(I think only posters of a certain generation might get this one)

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I didn't get where I am today without scrupulously researching players' eligibility.

(I think only posters of a certain generation might get this one)
    Yes, CJ.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Yes, CJ.
    Visions of a hippopotamus.....

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MancIrishWolf View Post
    Apologies if mentioned before, but just noticed Anthony Gordon from Everton is eligible via a Grandparent. Having a tidy enough game against United playing in midfield, where we are sadly lacking. Certainly a step up from Will Keane in terms of poaching off England.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anth...n_(footballer)
    I was doing some googling yesterday after watching this lad and noticed that he qualified. Not sure i was totally aware of that but he would be a coup if we could snatch him. I dont think he is a particularly likeable player (lots of playacting and rolling around, likes a dive too) but he is very, very effective and his ability to relieve pressure would be such an asset to us against the bigger teams. Anyway, the likelihood is probably pretty low as he has been with England right through to U21 and he'll be on the radar but hoping that the FAI has, at least, been in touch with him. He reminds me a lot of Gordon Strachan, looks wise, and sure enough he qualifies for the Scots too.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Played & scored for England U21s in March of this year, having turned 21 in February if my quick Wiki scan is correct ?
    & doesn't that tie him to England under current rulings ?
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Yeah, Conor Gallagher is in the same situation - played a competitive underage international after his 21st birthday

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Ah right - thank you both!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    about half the interpretations i've read think that the u21 caps aren't binding after a 21st birthday, just senior ones. haven't ever seen anything definitive either way...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    So the rule as I understand it is that if you take a competitive Under 21 cap after your 21st you're then limited to only playing for countries that you held the nationality of at the time of your first competitive underage cap (usually under 17 or under 19).

In practice what this seems to mean for potential Irish players is that your eligibility at that point depends on your link to Ireland. If you are born in Ireland or have a parent born in Ireland you are an Irish citizen from birth so you can take the under 21 caps for England or whoever for as long as you want and it won't make any difference - you can still play for Ireland.

But if your qualification is through a grandparent or grandparents it's different because (as we saw with the Ryan Johansson case) then you're not automatically an Irish citizen from birth. Instead you have to apply for citizenship. In that case, if you take the Under 21 cap for another country after your 21st birthday you're then ineligible for Ireland unless you had gone through the Irish citizenship paperwork process before your first competitive underage cap (In the end the Johansson issue was resolved only because Luxembourg capped him before he turned 21 and not after his 21st).

As I understand it Anthony Gordon qualified for us through a grandparent. He has taken an England under 21 cap after his 21st birthday. Therefore, unless he had gone and sorted his Irish citizenship before his first competitive underage cap for England (very unlikely), he's now ineligible for us.

For what it's worth Gordon may actually still be eligible for Scotland as English and Scottish is effectively the same citizenship - the UK. He was therefore a UK/Scottish citizen from birth so could presumably still qualify for Scotland. But it looks like he's gone for us and I'd say he won't be the last to become ineligible through this rule.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    As I understand it Anthony Gordon qualified for us through a grandparent. He has taken an England under 21 cap after his 21st birthday. Therefore, unless he had gone and sorted his Irish citizenship before his first competitive underage cap for England (very unlikely), he's now ineligible for us.
    In this case, he first played underage for England in 2018 / 19 with their u18s. Played ten games for them so you'd imagine some of those were competitive & yes it is unlikely he sorted out his Irish paperwork as the rule change came after that or it was in flux around that time. Its not impossible though, either. These players are represented from very early on & agents are very attuned to the leverage benefits of a dual qualified client so it would be remiss of them not to take care of the paperwork to keep that avenue open even if there is no intention at the time of using it.

Id say any coming through at the moment would have that side of things taken care of, for whatever reason. Whether we still should have interest in them is another room splitting conversation.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Just so you know, U18 games are never competitive.

U17, U19 and U21 can be competitive uefa games.

U17 and u20 can be competitive fifa games if you qualify for the u17 or u20 World Cup.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Certainly you'd hope that for anyone who has come in and played non competitive underage games for us - say Louie Barry for example - that the FAI went and sorted out their paperwork at that point to avoid any such issues in future if he wanted to come back to us.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Just so you know, U18 games are never competitive.

U17, U19 and U21 can be competitive uefa games.

U17 and u20 can be competitive fifa games if you qualify for the u17 or u20 World Cup.
    Ah, wasn't thinking, sound. Well he has seven 19s caps the following year.

It'd be good to know for sure on this because till today I'd understood it differently to you guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    He reminds me a lot of Gordon Strachan
    He's a little cun-t so.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!