Page 109 of 257 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Have you ever considered the possibility thAt some eligible players just don't want to play for a country they don't identify with?
    Bamford has already played for Ireland though and has said he wouldn't rule it out again in the future.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 16/01/2017 at 2:43 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Have you ever considered the possibility thAt some eligible players just don't want to play for a country they don't identify with?

Dave Kitson explained it succinctly.
    Have you ever considered the possibility that Dave Kitson doesn't speak for everyone on the point of national identity?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Bamford has already played for Ireland though and has said he wouldn't rule it out again in the future.
    Wasn't he quite open to the idea and referenced his mother's side being very Irish and his uncles keen for him to play for us as they are all Ireland supporters?

Edit: http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer...-31159774.html

Might be a different article but he doesn't rule out playing for Ireland. Even though it's his dream to play for England.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 16/01/2017 at 3:25 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Have you ever considered the possibility that Dave Kitson doesn't speak for everyone on the point of national identity?
    Now you're just being ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Wasn't he quite open to the idea and referenced his mother's side being very Irish and his uncles keen for him to play for us as they are all Ireland supporters?

Edit: http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer...-31159774.html

Might be a different article but he doesn't rule out playing for Ireland. Even though it's his dream to play for England.
    Yeah, that Talksport interview is the one I remembered too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I was simply trying to help him understand why not every young man would jump at the chance to play for Ireland.

Some don't want to regardless of their ability. Some want to play for their own country.

It's admirable to want to do that rather than settle for another option at the first sign of adversity.

And I was clearly referring to players like Kitson, Hogan and Wickham rather than Bamford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    And I was clearly referring to players like Kitson, Hogan and Wickham rather than Bamford.
    How could that be clear when you quoted a post that was exclusively about Bamford?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I thought Bamford said England was his first preference.

Why would/should he then be jumping at the chance of playing for Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I think he said he does identify with Ireland and for example if I wasn't good enough for Ireland .... I would play for Scotland !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Some people seem convinced that if someone has some Irish blood they will want to play for Ireland.

Some (Kitson, Wickham, Naughton, Noble) are completely uninterested. Some (Jutkiewicz, Hogan) are blase.

Bamford said he wouldn't rule it out. Not doom and gloom but hardly a glowing endorsement of our prospects of attracting him either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Some people seem convinced that if someone has some Irish blood they will want to play for Ireland.
    Really, like who?

We all know Ireland is Bamford's second choice. We also know that he identifies with his Irish roots, which you blatantly questioned before shamelessly backtracking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Again, TOWK, youre fighting a fight that just isnt there - certainly not on this board.

I think most of us know that our chances of attracting 2g or 3g foreign born potential players decrease as their respective ability/success increases. This is a lesson we have learnt going back to the 80's under Jack. No one is under any illusion in that regard. It shouldnt stop us asking the question until we receive a definitive indication or answer. I am fine to pursue indecision or ambiguity to a reasonable extent - having a diverse background creates, by its nature, ambiguity or indecision in these situations and for these players. It is perfectly ok for players to feel more Irish, more English or 50/50 and to still not be sure.

Regarding the quote that Delorean picked out - I am convinced that if someone has Irish blood they may want to consider playing for Ireland and we should make that option open to them, make our pitch and ask the question.

These players will have earned the luxury of choice.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

In Bamford and Hogan's cases England isn't going to happen. You have to wonder when these lads finally give up on this English dream. You got Kane, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Vardy, Walcott, Carroll, Rashford who will all be called up ahead of them for instance no matter what they do...then there are solid players like Rodriguez, Austin, Deeney, Gray, Wilson who won't be getting called up yet are Premiership regulars. Then there is the likes of Gayle who is running away with the Championship scoring charts and he hasn't a hope of a call-up and Abraham will be coming through very soon too. If these lads consider themselves any way shape or form Irish then I just don't get their hesitancy at all. We are not exactly a poor footballing nation ourselves so you have to wonder what these lads are waiting for.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 16/01/2017 at 7:08 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    We are not exactly a poor footballing nation ourselves so you have to wonder what these lads are waiting for.
    This is it, we just delivered a major finals performance that England were left casting envious glances at and are strolling our group looking at qualifying again, for a three out of four recent qualification record. There should be guys digging out green grannies left right and center.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think a large part of that specific issue is that international football just isnt that appealing any more to a lot of players. Especially if you wont be dining at the top table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Why, because of the injury risk?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think a large part of that specific issue is that international football just isnt that appealing any more to a lot of players. Especially if you wont be dining at the top table.
    I agree with this, Messi clearly would prefer out, the lad Matip at Liverpool has decided he'd prefer not to bother now. Even Ribery and Lahm have retired at and early age.

Anyway, I have no problem with a lad looking at Ireland as a second best option. It can be a genuine case of him feeling more English but having a real connection through family to Ireland as well. Who's to say lads like Townsend/Aldo/McCarthy/Hughton would not have played for England if they had been called up there first, and didn't Houghton turn to us after being snubbed by Scotland.

Anyway, without going back over dozens of pages here, could anyone give me a brief on the prospects of these lads?

Hogan
    Bamford
    Redmond

Anyone else that is performing well now we are or should be trying to enlist?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polster View Post
    Anyway, without going back over dozens of pages here, could anyone give me a brief on the prospects of these lads?

Hogan
    Bamford
    Redmond

Anyone else that is performing well now we are or should be trying to enlist?
    You've got them in the right order there in terms of likelihood to play for us. I think we have a good shout with all but I'm afraid that's very dependent on the England prospects for the latter pair who have played for England at numerous grades, unlike the late-bloomer Hogan.

All 3 actually have very strong Irish links, in fairness. 3 of Hogan's grandparents are Irish and Redmond and Bamford's mothers identify as Irish (per Redmond's mother's twitter and per Bamford), born to Irish parents I suspect.

All 3 have strong links, may identify as English first and foremost (as well as Irish) and may have England as their first choice. But there's every possibility the point will come where they throw their lot in with us. It's a waiting game.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 17/01/2017 at 11:35 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Unfortunately I don't think we will get any of the players on "polsters" list, the only one we might get in Bamford
    Hogan has had half a year to declare and has not
    Bamford is a long shot
    Redmond has said he is waiting for England full stop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'd have Bamford top in terms of being the most likely also. He's played with us already, he's in tune with his Irish roots and his career has stagnated compared to the other two. Redmond has every chance of playing for England at some stage, seems to be playing to a high level and improving all the time.