Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Multiple appearances?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Just checked and he had only the one. I thought it was more.

I still couldn't accept him but fair enough, its not multiple appearances
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    As far as I remember he only played 1 friendly U-21 for England.

I think O'Brien genuinely wanted to play for us, but after the way he was targeted as a scapegoat along with Paddy Kenny following Cyprus away I'm not surprised either of them haven't been involved since to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    We could just get any prospective players to do this

http://www.ireland-information.com/quiz1.htm

Celtic Warriors nedd only apply

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    All for giving someone a chance to represent a country which they are entitled to represent, providing they are interested. However, the thought of going with a begging bowl to a second rate player who lacks commitment to the cause would disturb me.

Initially thought Noble etc. was a good shout, however having seen him on Sky Sports News tonight talking about how much he loves playing for England and worst of all bellowing out the peasant's anthem that is God Save the Queen there is no way in the world that I would want to see him in a green shirt.

Agree with YoungIrish - blood the Kids before that lot.
    I agree.If Noble said those things then it is obvious that England is the only country he wants to play for - and good luck to him. I wasn't aware how strongly he felt until you said it there.However, I still feel that we should be open to taking on players born outside of Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Said I'd pop in here once more

Spot on, reminds me of when Matt Holland belted out GSTQ at the play-off final in Wembley while an Ireland international
    I remember hearing that Holland did this but never saw it for myself and thus thought it was a myth..or that it occurred before he played for Ireland. .What puzzles me is a lot of Irish supporters loved Holland, surely after this he must have lost popularity? I've always hated him since he started bi tching about Roy Keane in Saipan

Does anybody have a link to him singing GSTQ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Obviously not a fan of our players singing GSTQ, but is it possible that someone could be born English, to English parents, love England, have an Irish grandparent who they visit fairly regularly in Ireland, and love Ireland as well? This player never gets a look in with England, and one day gets a call from the Irish management team, who compliment his recent performances and say, "we'd love to have you in the squad, if you'd like to represent Ireland."

Or a player with an English dad and an Irish mum. Born and raised in England, loves England, sings GSTQ, but is conscientious of being Irish as well.

Have fun villainizing Matt Holland if you want, but I don't feel like attacking a good servant to the Irish team who happens to have dual allegiances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    I remember hearing that Holland did this but never saw it for myself and thus thought it was a myth..or that it occurred before he played for Ireland. .What puzzles me is a lot of Irish supporters loved Holland, surely after this he must have lost popularity? I've always hated him since he started bi tching about Roy Keane in Saipan

Does anybody have a link to him singing GSTQ?
    Holland had only one appearance for Ireland before that play off final. The last 4 minutes away to Macedonia.
    He didn't play again until the US Cup the following summer, after the play off final.
    Like yourself, I've never seen the video to prove it, but I've heard it enough times that I assumed there was at least some truth to it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    If a player was born and bred in England, surely you can't complain if he sings GSTQ. Now if he sang it at an Ireland game you could complain. After all he is representing Ireland at football not joining Sinn Fein.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i have no problem with say mcgeady or mccarthy for instance. if there willing to play for ireland and take the kind of stick they get in the country they were born then im glad. seems mcgeady always wanted to play for us anyway. plus they were with us from underage upwards.

but i dont want someone who has played games for england, underage or whatever in there 20's switching over. now there isnt anything we can do about it if it happens tho. i wouldnt look at them in the same way. look at robbie having his son born here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    look at robbie having his son born here.
    At the end of the day, his kid is going to grow up, have an English accent, and probably love his home- England.

He's probably going to love Ireland too.

The idea of dual loyalties and complicated identities seems to be a bit beyond quite a few members of this forum though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    At the end of the day, his kid is going to grow up, have an English accent, and probably love his home- England.

He's probably going to love Ireland too.

The idea of dual loyalties and complicated identities seems to be a bit beyond quite a few members of this forum though
    yes but if hes born irish hes 100% irish IMO. now it dosent matter he may not ever be a footballer, but somehow i can only see robbie keane's child been brought up 100 irish. 100% no question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Obviously not a fan of our players singing GSTQ, but is it possible that someone could be born English, to English parents, love England, have an Irish grandparent who they visit fairly regularly in Ireland, and love Ireland as well? This player never gets a look in with England, and one day gets a call from the Irish management team, who compliment his recent performances and say, "we'd love to have you in the squad, if you'd like to represent Ireland."

Or a player with an English dad and an Irish mum. Born and raised in England, loves England, sings GSTQ, but is conscientious of being Irish as well.

Have fun villainizing Matt Holland if you want, but I don't feel like attacking a good servant to the Irish team who happens to have dual allegiances.
    You'd want to grow up. If Holland was by this time an Irish international and sang the national anthem of another nation it is nothing short of embarressing.It doesn't matter if its GSTQ, Flower of Scotland or the Star Spangled Banner.Of course he can be proud of his English heritage but by being an Irish international h was mean to be IRISH.Imagine if we were playing against England and he started singing GSTQ?

By the way, did you ever see him sing the Irish National Anthem?

Good servant? He was extremely overated as a player. Keane alongside him made him look good and the proof was in the pudding at WC 2002 where he was absolutely terrible apart from the goal against Cameroon. I know it was a hugely important goal, but centre midfield was terrible in that tiournament

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I dunno, I often find myself wandering around singing GSTQ and I haven't got an English bone in my body, it's just a catchy little, slightly racist, offensive, ditty. Try not singing along to a catchy tune when 80,000 other people are

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    You'd want to grow up. If Holland was by this time an Irish international and sang the national anthem of another nation it is nothing short of embarressing.It doesn't matter if its GSTQ, Flower of Scotland or the Star Spangled Banner.Of course he can be proud of his English heritage but by being an Irish international h was mean to be IRISH.Imagine if we were playing against England and he started singing GSTQ?

By the way, did you ever see him sing the Irish National Anthem?

Good servant? He was extremely overated as a player. Keane alongside him made him look good and the proof was in the pudding at WC 2002 where he was absolutely terrible apart from the goal against Cameroon. I know it was a hugely important goal, but centre midfield was terrible in that tiournament
    So what are you saying, a person can't be both Irish and English? You have to choose? What is this, a ****ing war? Get over yourself, it's football.

And when I talk about "good servants," I'm not talking about ability, I'm talking about always being willing to give 100% commitment to the cause while wearing the green, which Holland did.

Kilbane is a good servant to the Irish team, but I wouldn't call him a particularly marvelous player ability-wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    yep, and the idea of a national team representing their country seems to be beyond quite a few too
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    yep, and the idea of a national team representing their country seems to be beyond quite a few too
    As the world becomes more interconnected as globalization takes hold, the idea of nationalities starts to break down.

Growing up in Canada, a nation of immigrants, many of my friends have many allegiances.

For example, I have a friend who has a Greek father, an Italian mother, and was raised in Canada.

BUT YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE COUNTRY TO FOLLOW, AND YOU MUST ONLY SING ONE ANTHEM!

Give me a break.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think the line is quite bendy in this case
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can't happen - that makes then english sinple as and they have no place near the Irish team

Page 8 of 257 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast