Page 8 of 186 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 3713

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

  1. #141
    Now with extra sauce! Dodge's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Insomnia
    Posts
    23,528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    663
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,675
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Like Andy O'Brien?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

  2. #142
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,055
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,727
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,747
    Thanked in
    2,135 Posts
    Multiple appearances?

  3. #143
    Now with extra sauce! Dodge's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Insomnia
    Posts
    23,528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    663
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,675
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Just checked and he had only the one. I thought it was more.

    I still couldn't accept him but fair enough, its not multiple appearances
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

  4. #144
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    435
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    152
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    As far as I remember he only played 1 friendly U-21 for England.

    I think O'Brien genuinely wanted to play for us, but after the way he was targeted as a scapegoat along with Paddy Kenny following Cyprus away I'm not surprised either of them haven't been involved since to be honest.

  5. #145
    First Team endabob1's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Welcome to Cape Town
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    We could just get any prospective players to do this

    http://www.ireland-information.com/quiz1.htm

    Celtic Warriors nedd only apply

  6. #146
    Banned Den Perry's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    27
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    All for giving someone a chance to represent a country which they are entitled to represent, providing they are interested. However, the thought of going with a begging bowl to a second rate player who lacks commitment to the cause would disturb me.

    Initially thought Noble etc. was a good shout, however having seen him on Sky Sports News tonight talking about how much he loves playing for England and worst of all bellowing out the peasant's anthem that is God Save the Queen there is no way in the world that I would want to see him in a green shirt.

    Agree with YoungIrish - blood the Kids before that lot.
    I agree.If Noble said those things then it is obvious that England is the only country he wants to play for - and good luck to him. I wasn't aware how strongly he felt until you said it there.However, I still feel that we should be open to taking on players born outside of Ireland

  7. #147
    Banned Den Perry's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    27
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Said I'd pop in here once more

    Spot on, reminds me of when Matt Holland belted out GSTQ at the play-off final in Wembley while an Ireland international
    I remember hearing that Holland did this but never saw it for myself and thus thought it was a myth..or that it occurred before he played for Ireland. .What puzzles me is a lot of Irish supporters loved Holland, surely after this he must have lost popularity? I've always hated him since he started bi tching about Roy Keane in Saipan

    Does anybody have a link to him singing GSTQ?

  8. #148
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    435
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    152
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Obviously not a fan of our players singing GSTQ, but is it possible that someone could be born English, to English parents, love England, have an Irish grandparent who they visit fairly regularly in Ireland, and love Ireland as well? This player never gets a look in with England, and one day gets a call from the Irish management team, who compliment his recent performances and say, "we'd love to have you in the squad, if you'd like to represent Ireland."

    Or a player with an English dad and an Irish mum. Born and raised in England, loves England, sings GSTQ, but is conscientious of being Irish as well.

    Have fun villainizing Matt Holland if you want, but I don't feel like attacking a good servant to the Irish team who happens to have dual allegiances.

  9. #149
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,083
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    886
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,466
    Thanked in
    2,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    I remember hearing that Holland did this but never saw it for myself and thus thought it was a myth..or that it occurred before he played for Ireland. .What puzzles me is a lot of Irish supporters loved Holland, surely after this he must have lost popularity? I've always hated him since he started bi tching about Roy Keane in Saipan

    Does anybody have a link to him singing GSTQ?
    Holland had only one appearance for Ireland before that play off final. The last 4 minutes away to Macedonia.
    He didn't play again until the US Cup the following summer, after the play off final.
    Like yourself, I've never seen the video to prove it, but I've heard it enough times that I assumed there was at least some truth to it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  10. #150
    First Team drummerboy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2004
    Location
    drumcondra
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    If a player was born and bred in England, surely you can't complain if he sings GSTQ. Now if he sang it at an Ireland game you could complain. After all he is representing Ireland at football not joining Sinn Fein.
    Always look on the bright side of life

  11. #151
    First Team Duggie's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,433
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i have no problem with say mcgeady or mccarthy for instance. if there willing to play for ireland and take the kind of stick they get in the country they were born then im glad. seems mcgeady always wanted to play for us anyway. plus they were with us from underage upwards.

    but i dont want someone who has played games for england, underage or whatever in there 20's switching over. now there isnt anything we can do about it if it happens tho. i wouldnt look at them in the same way. look at robbie having his son born here.

  12. #152
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    435
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    152
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    look at robbie having his son born here.
    At the end of the day, his kid is going to grow up, have an English accent, and probably love his home- England.

    He's probably going to love Ireland too.

    The idea of dual loyalties and complicated identities seems to be a bit beyond quite a few members of this forum though

  13. #153
    First Team Duggie's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,433
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    At the end of the day, his kid is going to grow up, have an English accent, and probably love his home- England.

    He's probably going to love Ireland too.

    The idea of dual loyalties and complicated identities seems to be a bit beyond quite a few members of this forum though
    yes but if hes born irish hes 100% irish IMO. now it dosent matter he may not ever be a footballer, but somehow i can only see robbie keane's child been brought up 100 irish. 100% no question.

  14. #154
    Banned Den Perry's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    27
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Obviously not a fan of our players singing GSTQ, but is it possible that someone could be born English, to English parents, love England, have an Irish grandparent who they visit fairly regularly in Ireland, and love Ireland as well? This player never gets a look in with England, and one day gets a call from the Irish management team, who compliment his recent performances and say, "we'd love to have you in the squad, if you'd like to represent Ireland."

    Or a player with an English dad and an Irish mum. Born and raised in England, loves England, sings GSTQ, but is conscientious of being Irish as well.

    Have fun villainizing Matt Holland if you want, but I don't feel like attacking a good servant to the Irish team who happens to have dual allegiances.
    You'd want to grow up. If Holland was by this time an Irish international and sang the national anthem of another nation it is nothing short of embarressing.It doesn't matter if its GSTQ, Flower of Scotland or the Star Spangled Banner.Of course he can be proud of his English heritage but by being an Irish international h was mean to be IRISH.Imagine if we were playing against England and he started singing GSTQ?

    By the way, did you ever see him sing the Irish National Anthem?

    Good servant? He was extremely overated as a player. Keane alongside him made him look good and the proof was in the pudding at WC 2002 where he was absolutely terrible apart from the goal against Cameroon. I know it was a hugely important goal, but centre midfield was terrible in that tiournament

  15. #155
    Seasoned Pro passinginterest's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tallaght
    Posts
    4,180
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    380
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    318
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I dunno, I often find myself wandering around singing GSTQ and I haven't got an English bone in my body, it's just a catchy little, slightly racist, offensive, ditty. Try not singing along to a catchy tune when 80,000 other people are

    Tallaght Stadium Regular

  16. #156
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    435
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    152
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    You'd want to grow up. If Holland was by this time an Irish international and sang the national anthem of another nation it is nothing short of embarressing.It doesn't matter if its GSTQ, Flower of Scotland or the Star Spangled Banner.Of course he can be proud of his English heritage but by being an Irish international h was mean to be IRISH.Imagine if we were playing against England and he started singing GSTQ?

    By the way, did you ever see him sing the Irish National Anthem?

    Good servant? He was extremely overated as a player. Keane alongside him made him look good and the proof was in the pudding at WC 2002 where he was absolutely terrible apart from the goal against Cameroon. I know it was a hugely important goal, but centre midfield was terrible in that tiournament
    So what are you saying, a person can't be both Irish and English? You have to choose? What is this, a ****ing war? Get over yourself, it's football.

    And when I talk about "good servants," I'm not talking about ability, I'm talking about always being willing to give 100% commitment to the cause while wearing the green, which Holland did.

    Kilbane is a good servant to the Irish team, but I wouldn't call him a particularly marvelous player ability-wise.

  17. #157
    Now with extra sauce! Dodge's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Insomnia
    Posts
    23,528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    663
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,675
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    The idea of dual loyalties and complicated identities seems to be a bit beyond quite a few members of this forum though
    yep, and the idea of a national team representing their country seems to be beyond quite a few too
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

  18. #158
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    435
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    152
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    yep, and the idea of a national team representing their country seems to be beyond quite a few too
    As the world becomes more interconnected as globalization takes hold, the idea of nationalities starts to break down.

    Growing up in Canada, a nation of immigrants, many of my friends have many allegiances.

    For example, I have a friend who has a Greek father, an Italian mother, and was raised in Canada.

    BUT YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE COUNTRY TO FOLLOW, AND YOU MUST ONLY SING ONE ANTHEM!

    Give me a break.

  19. #159
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    14,850
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,874
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    840
    Thanked in
    669 Posts
    I think the line is quite bendy in this case
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  20. #160
    Apprentice Mcgeady46's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    34
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Obviously not a fan of our players singing GSTQ, but is it possible that someone could be born English, to English parents, love England, have an Irish grandparent who they visit fairly regularly in Ireland, and love Ireland as well? This player never gets a look in with England, and one day gets a call from the Irish management team, who compliment his recent performances and say, "we'd love to have you in the squad, if you'd like to represent Ireland."

    Or a player with an English dad and an Irish mum. Born and raised in England, loves England, sings GSTQ, but is conscientious of being Irish as well.

    Have fun villainizing Matt Holland if you want, but I don't feel like attacking a good servant to the Irish team who happens to have dual allegiances.
    can't happen - that makes then english sinple as and they have no place near the Irish team

Page 8 of 186 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Retired Players Thread
    By tetsujin1979 in forum Ireland
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 25/05/2019, 1:37 PM
  2. Potentially eligible players thread
    By TheOneWhoKnocks in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26/01/2017, 8:43 PM
  3. Potentially eligible players thread
    By liamoo11 in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20/08/2015, 12:27 AM
  4. Potentially eligible players thread
    By liamoo11 in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19/08/2015, 6:39 PM
  5. Former players thread
    By pineapple stu in forum UCD
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05/08/2009, 2:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •