Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 85 of 257 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    If they'd never checked and it turned out that he had an Irish connection the FAI would've been battered. They can't win when it comes to this stuff.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Two more goals today for Scott Hogan. Can we put this into context? His career has primarily been at non-league sides having been released by Rochdale at 18. He makes it back to Rochdale 3 years later for 2013/14 and bangs in 17 goals to earn a jump up two divisions. He had two bad knee injuries almost immediately so has missed almost a season and a half. So, on the back of a career that has consisted of non-league and league two goals and brutal injuries the man has finished this season with 7 league goals in 5 starts (2 substitute appearances) in the Championship with Brentford (mostly without their main playmaker).

This is quite a story and the next chapter might consist of an Ireland jersey. Not sure how the media here hasn't picked up on him yet.

EDIT: Interesting to note also that two of his non-league clubs were Halifax Town and Stocksbridge Park Steels. You'll never guess who played for them too..
    Double EDIT: The media have spotted it too, as well as Keano?: http://www.balls.ie/football/roy-kea...t-hogan/332680
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 07/05/2016 at 3:40 PM.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    This article is quoted in that Balls.ie article: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport...-over-11290878

Seems 3 of his 4 grandparents are Irish so he definitely qualifies. Understandably, has ignored all international talk because I'm sure he's been focusing on getting himself established at club level after a torrid time with injuries. I bet we'll see him in the next qualifying campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    He's currently been talked about on a few threads. Mods should pull those posts into one for him.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    He's currently been talked about on a few threads. Mods should pull those posts into one for him.
    Agreed.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Agreed too.
    It's on YBIG that RK watched him for Brentford today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    re: the following: "the last thing I’m thinking of is who I’m going to represent internationally. It’s getting ahead of myself.”

Rob Brennan

Scott Hogan scores again for Brentford. Shame he sounds about as committed to playing for Ireland as Stephen Ireland. #COYBIG

Neil O'Riordan

I've heard the FAI aren't convinced he is committed by Keane going along to watch him suggests they'll give it a go again.
    Neil O'Riordan

I get that he probably didn't want to get ahead of himself but quotes other day + pulling out of u21s aren't very encouraging

Neil O'Riordan

yeah he's definitely worth another try but he's a 24-year-old who has played 8 Championship games. Should be jumping at it.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 08/05/2016 at 4:05 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's hard to know with a player who doesn't have much history with national teams, but it's plausible he is just focused on getting a few club games together and having a good pre-season. Little rumours like the FAI aren't convinced he's committed do tend to be true when journalists are saying them though.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    In fairness though TOWK...the lad has spent the last 18 months of his young career absent due to injury. We don't know what is or isn't going on in his head and it may have absolutely nothing to do with a lack of commitment to playing for Ireland. He probably wants to focus on establishing his career at a decent level, keep free from injury for a bit and not add anything that might, in his mind, jeopardise that. I wouldn't necessarily say he is not keen on playing for Ireland per se, more so that he is just not sure whether that is the best thing for him right now.
    Last edited by SkStu; 08/05/2016 at 6:21 AM.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    In fairness though...the lad has spent the last 18 months of his young career absent due to injury. We don't know what is or isn't going on in his head and it may have absolutely nothing to do with a lack of commitment to playing for Ireland. He probably wants to focus on establishing his career at a decent level, keep free from injury for a bit and not add anything that might, in his mind, jeapordise that. I wouldn't necessarily say he is not keen on playing for Ireland per se, more so that he is just not sure whether that is the best thing for him right now.
    Agree totally

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    His goals with Rochdale: https://youtu.be/6uFOCytCJK4

Brace against Fulham: https://youtu.be/zNMdpcAFkrw

Have to say he looks good. Quick, some really good finishes and surprisingly good with his head. Kind of reminds me a bit of Aldridge.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    His quotes are slightly ambiguous, I think and it was his manager that pulled him from the under 21's. As I've stated, prior to this run of games his career has consisted of career-threatening injury, League Two and non-league. International football hasn't come into his thinking. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

EDIT: His quotes are very ambiguous. Fair enough if O'Riordan has heard otherwise but I'm not sure how people can be so bothered to read negatively into "the last thing I’m thinking of is who I’m going to represent internationally. It’s getting ahead of myself.” It is getting ahead of himself. The man had a relapse on his knee injury once. He's probably fearful of another. Not whether Roy Keane likes him.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 08/05/2016 at 9:11 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    On the fact that Roy Keane went to watch him, I hope he spoke to him at some point: https://twitter.com/ScottHogan92/sta...32236745285632

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    *Tweet was two years old.

He hasn't commented on Keane watching him.

Just saying.. I thought it was a recent tweet until I seen the timestamp.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Jaysus, that reads like RMK was whispering sweet dirty nothings in young Hogans ear while they were 'dancing'.

Anyway, do ye remember Paul Green saying once when asked about his playing for Ireland and why he didn't declare earlier etc, that as a lower league player it just never entered his head, that his focus was on getting established, becoming a pro player, getting contracts, and International ball was daydreaming territory - (or words to that effect) - now might Scott Hogan not be of a similar mindset presently ? He is far from established, and an injury recurrence from the scrapheap, contract wise.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    So just as relevant as you referencing his nan, glad we cleared that up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I considered that, but then he didn't say "I'm not thinking of International football at the moment", he said "I'm not thinking of who I'm going to represent Internationally at the moment".

He may also not want to make a decision on his Intl future because of his recent injury problems, but he also said he wishes the season wasn't ending so he could continue playing.

Then there is ominous quotes from Neil O'Riordan on Twitter, and I imagine he has a greater idea of what the situation is than I or anyone here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    So just as relevant as you referencing his nan, glad we cleared that up.
    And as relevant as what Intl jersey his nephew wears.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

He hasn't commented on Keane watching him.

Just saying.. I thought it was a recent tweet until I seen the timestamp.
    Okay. Thanks.

I didn't say it was recent but when someone refers to someone as being one of their 'all time heroes' I think that status does tend to last the test of time.

Obviously, it's your prerogative to construe tweets, the player's comments and comments of journalists whatever way suits you but I have no interest in posting something I think is measured or light-hearted to see you footnoting my posts with an asterisk. I can footnote my own posts.