I also think we deserve an explanation. #BBC

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He declared for England years ago ya nut.
    G'Man CD. There was talk on here that he was so astute he hoodwinked the English, and his real intention was to play for us but to keep doors open and better himself by staying with England for now. #HeIsStillOursToLose.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Ah here - he's 18!! Stagnating!? Lol
    He's over alright. When you're about 5 foot 4 and you're getting bullied by 6 foot 4 centre halves in League One you know it's time to call it a day..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    #HeIsStillOursToLose.
    Bear in mind that last summer O'Neill was firmly of the view Grealish would stick with us and was let down when he didn't join up, allegedly due to club pressure. Thinking he was still ours to lose (Geysir's phrase initially I think?) was a reasonable stance to take.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Nobody ruled out the possibility of 'losing' him anyway. Some just recognised their limitations as human beings (no physic powers), while others drew their own conclusion based on very little. It turned out that this conclusion was the right one, but there was always a 50/50 chance of that happening anyway. But let's not go there again....
    Last edited by DeLorean; 29/04/2016 at 12:11 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    There is no point reading too much into Crowley meeting with O'Neill one way or other, but it's not out of the realms of possibility that he would keep that option open after a mediocre enough season in terms of development.

Fair enough he's only 18 but he turns 19 in August and when you look at the likes of Harry Kane and Dele Alli they are breaking into top 4 Premier League teams at 20. Crowley looks a fair way off doing that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What is he at now? He's back at Arsenal yeah?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Just had a look at who wrote the article, the length of it and lack of any clarification and it all makes sense now. Pure and utter clickbait that you would expect from The Daily Mail.

How can anyone take this paragraph seriously?

While the starlet isn’t expected to challenge for a spot in Ireland's Euros squad, he could be drafted in next month for one of the pre-tournament friendlies against Holland and Belarus.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Considering John Fallon had the inside line on everything that happened in the Grealish saga, I'd say he's probably getting that from Crowley's father. Whether it's based in reality or not...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    geysir or DI could correct me, but by the letter of the law merely making the request, as he has, should tie him to England. Certainly as soon as he "consummates" the switch that would be that.

There are cases, such as Bobby Zamora, where the request appears to have been made but didn't bind the player. I'm not sure if that's just down to an oversight on FIFA's part or if the paperwork was never submitted, or if they only enforce it when a player is capped.
    Whatever about the media reports, Bobby Zamora's "request", if even he made one, was never actually formally processed, according to Yann, who has access to FIFA's database. Yann felt it is probably the first competitive international appearance after a switch that ties a player to his new association and not the request to switch itself, although there was no evidence of any players having switched back and the letter of the law would appear to say otherwise. He was to seek confirmation of this from the head of the PSC when they were to meet and I had gotten back to him twice about this before, but unfortunately no update.

Here is what Yann said originally in relation to the database:

The database contains the name of the player and the association requesting the change of allegiance and the name of the association he represented so far. Then, the database contains the date where the change has been approved/denied by the FIFA Player’s Status Committee. Article 8.3 is clear – the player is no longer deemed eligible until he has been cleared by FIFA. If Zamora had requested a change, he would have appeared in the database at some point. The only exception being (in my opinion) – if he only had played in friendlies, which is not the case. I am not aware of the case of players who have been allowed to switch back.
    And his thoughts on what effected a switch (my questions are in bold):

We had thought of Zamora as somewhat of a "test case" proving that a simple request alone was not enough to effect the switch, thinking he'd requested a switch but was allowed to play for England again on the basis of not having effected it, but you say this is not so. Why do you think that playing in a competitive game is what effects a change then, even though this wouldn't be in line with a literal reading of the regulation concerned? Are you of the opinion then that a player might be permitted to return if he's not represented his new association competitively after having already had his request formally approved? Can an association losing a player hold up or stall a switch by any means, refusing to comply or dragging their heels until threatened with penalty?

This issue refers to the election a sporting nationality. This is done solely by entering the field in a competitive match (article 5.2). In my opinion (and it is solely my opinion), one must distinguish the substantive conditions (art. 8.1(a) or 8.2) to change national affiliation from the formal process to do so (art. 8.3). Being allowed to change national affiliation only once is a substantive condition, ie the player must not have undergone another switch before, and not a formal one. Thus, a player can be deemed tied to his new association and the process to switch association complete only if he meet the stipulation of article 5.2.

The former association could refuse to deliver relevant documents but it has no power to veto the change in association. The process will take a little bit longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Rob Brennan (who writes for the Irish Post) interviewed Crowley (whose nephew present was wearing our away top) and reckons he'll declare: https://twitter.com/RobBrennan82/sta...84761672908800

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Covering old ground but from this Fifa annex
    http://resources.fifa.com/mm/documen...on_neutral.pdf

ii. A recently issued statement dated and signed by the player in which heconfirms that he understands the impact of such a change and that he isaware that such a change, if granted, is of a definite nature and irreversible;
    Not that it clears anything up. I think DI quoted someone before who said it takes 3-6 months for a change request to be processed, and we never found out why it would take so long. During that time of due process, could a player cancel a request?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    There is no point reading too much into Crowley meeting with O'Neill one way or other, but it's not out of the realms of possibility that he would keep that option open after a mediocre enough season in terms of development.

Fair enough he's only 18 but he turns 19 in August and when you look at the likes of Harry Kane and Dele Alli they are breaking into top 4 Premier League teams at 20. Crowley looks a fair way off doing that.
    In fairness Alli and Kane are exceptional examples. And even then Alli was still at MK Dons but about to sign for Spurs at Crowleys age and Harry Kane was on loan at Millwall. But comparing the progress of players is a waste of time. Give him time before you write him off, what have you got to lose?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Covering old ground but from this Fifa annex
    http://resources.fifa.com/mm/documen...on_neutral.pdf

Not that it clears anything up. I think DI quoted someone before who said it takes 3-6 months for a change request to be processed, and we never found out why it would take so long. During that time of due process, could a player cancel a request?
    I'd gotten in touch with Yann about that and posted what he'd said here. I don't see why a player wouldn't be able to cancel it before everything is processed, but that's just a hunch and not based on any evidence of anything. It would seem ridiculous if a player had a sudden change of mind but FIFA decided to lump a load of unnecessary work upon themselves despite having knowledge of the change of mind just because they'd received an initial letter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Update on the Crowley saga.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...ard-2016_04_30

It'd be some laugh if the quotes from Martin O'Neill were taken from Autumn of last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34675148.html

Unlike Crowley, Grealish was not approached by O’Neill until he’d broken into the Aston Villa first-team and was established as the finest prospect in Ireland’s U-21 team. He would have gladly accepted a senior call-up to the senior fold for the trip to the United States that summer but the snub influenced him to park his international decision and eventual defection to the English FA.
    Nonsense. You got played like a puppet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    At that point, he was bizarrely cut from their squad for the UEFA elite qualifiers, hastening his switch to the England for their UEFA U-19 campaign last October.
    that's not what happened.
    He was in a squad for the U17s in February 2013 - http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u17-h...o-face-croatia
    Danny Crowley features in the squad also after pledging his allegiance to Ireland ahead of England. Danny has played for Ireland at U-16 level, while representing England at U-16 and U-17 level also.
    A month later he was in the England U17s squad, as was reported by the Independent: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29129461.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Petition to stop him from writing articles about Grealish & Crowley?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    It would be one thing if the original article was lost in the archives, but I just realised that it was also written by Fallon, so he's basically contradicting himself with these two statements
    At that point, he was bizarrely cut from their squad for the UEFA elite qualifiers, hastening his switch to the England for their UEFA U-19 campaign last October.
    Ireland U-17 manager Tom Mohan said he respected the decision and did not consider Crowley for inclusion in his squad for their forthcoming European Championship qualifiers.
    <EDIT>

Did some research on all this, and wrote it up here: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog...64591011353182
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 01/05/2016 at 5:35 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.the42.ie/vardy-irish-heri...49714-May2016/

Well his surname ends with the letter Y like Kelly & Murphy - so why not.