Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 83 of 257 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    At that age, I'd contend that that's when a player might be most vulnerable to offerings from self-interested associations with pulling power. The introduction of the right to switch once was to protect players from this power-imbalance to the later detriment of their careers. Tim Cahill, who became tied to Samoa after playing for their under-20 team at the age of 14, is an extreme example - he saw the invite to play for them as an opportunity to go on holiday to see his ill grandmother with expenses paid - but the present rule is to protect against that sort of thing later hampering a player's international career.

In many cases someone's purest thoughts about who they are won't be singular; it can be plural and complicated. Someone might (completely legitimately) feel as equally English as they do Irish at the age of 16. That's not impurity. It's just complexity that Breen doesn't seem prepared to acknowledge. I would suggest it's easy for Breen to talk as, even though he was born in London himself, his father was from Kerry and his mother was from Clare. I think that's pretty evident.

His thoughts on residency are also interesting. The stipulation at present is five years and possession of nationality. (Rugby and cricket eligibility rules are incredibly lax in comparison, to the best of my knowledge, so hardly worth mentioning in this context.) Breen thinks of taking on a new nationality as just "living in the area", but if a country deems an individual a citizen (thereby allowing him or her to enjoy all the civil rights that come with that) and they've contributed to life in that country for the requisite period of time (five years is a considerable period of time), why shouldn't they be entitled to be selected for the national football team? It won't necessarily be a career-move; some might see it as a means of returning something to their adopted country. It was interesting that before Diego Costa was declared eligible to represent the Spanish national football team, he would actually have been entitled to represent his adopted country in the European parliament.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I thought there was a Michael Duffy thread on here, but maybe not. He is definitely eligible as he's from Derry and played in an under-18 friendly for us in 2012, but I think he's been mentioned in this thread before as he's been playing at international level for the IFA otherwise, so I'll post here.

He scored at Ibrox for Alloa at the weekend in their 1-1 draw with Rangers:

He's presently on loan at Alloa from Celtic. More on it here: http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/de...arty-1-7349443

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    At that age, I'd contend that that's when a player might be most vulnerable to offerings from self-interested associations with pulling power. The introduction of the right to switch once was to protect players from this power-imbalance to the later detriment of their careers
    Yes, and not to mention clubs making it known to lads at 14 & 15 years of age that as commodities they are worth more as England internationals, so who is going to do anything which jepoardises their chances when the pro contracts are being decided, even if its a bluff, who at that age will call a big club on it ?

In many cases someone's purest thoughts about who they are won't be singular; it can be plural and complicated. Someone might (completely legitimately) feel as equally English as they do Irish at the age of 16. That's not impurity. It's just complexity that Breen doesn't seem prepared to acknowledge. I would suggest it's easy for Breen to talk as, even though he was born in London himself, his father was from Kerry and his mother was from Clare. I think that's pretty evident.

Granted, he doesn't leave room for this, people can genuinely feel both and credibly represent either and I am sure as a London Irishman he will be well aware and indeed accepting of this, even if it didn't apply to him. However he rightly seeks to cut off the route we again have a number of guys taking presently, whereby an Ireland career is there as a back up career if an England one doesn't materialise. In seeking this, its difficult not to agree with him. A tricky one to navigate. His method would be foolproof, but would it lose us more players than it would ever gain us ? Hard to know.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I thought there was a Michael Duffy thread on here, but maybe not. He is definitely eligible as he's from Derry and played in an under-18 friendly for us in 2012, but I think he's been mentioned in this thread before as he's been playing at international level for the IFA otherwise, so I'll post here.

He scored at Ibrox for Alloa at the weekend in their 1-1 draw with Rangers:

He's presently on loan at Alloa from Celtic. More on it here: http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/de...arty-1-7349443
    Some going by Duffy. Fair play to him. Celtic fans have surely applauded that degree of loyalty.

On the other hand, correct me if I'm wrong, but that won't endear him to some sections of supporters of NI?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    However he rightly seeks to cut off the route we again have a number of guys taking presently, whereby an Ireland career is there as a back up career if an England one doesn't materialise. In seeking this, its difficult not to agree with him.
    I don't think there's anything 'rightly' about it and it's easy for me not to agree with him.

I've no problem whatsoever with people viewing an Ireland career as a backup to a career for another country.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    MON met face-to-face with Dan Crowley recently: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34668024.html

Says there his father David, an ex-pro at Coventry, was born in Waterford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    MON met face-to-face with Dan Crowley recently: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34668024.html

does anyone really think he could be "drafted in next month for one of the pre-tournament friendlies against Holland and Belarus"??
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Not even John Fallon.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post

I think we figured out before that his grandparents are living in Waterford (there was a pic of him on social media visiting Waterford to his grandparents and someone on here noted they recognised his grandfather from about the place). Also, his old man played gaelic football (like Daniel) so it's not out of the question that he was born in Ireland. But, I don't think Crowley Sr. emigrated to England himself as I think his own siblings are in England so it could be the case that the grandparents went over with the family and the family stayed there but the grandparents came back home.

I hope his old man isn't like Grealish's. He always gave me the impression that he was a small bit of a loose cannon. Not to mention the influence of the agent.

One would hope that Dan Crowley's observed how Grealish's season has gone since he declared for England (though both aren't directly linked) and had a good think for himself. He always struck me as positively identifying with Ireland anyway (there were some tweets, pictures of his baby brother in an Ireland top etc.) so fingers crossed that a meeting with O'Neill will be enough to swing him.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 28/04/2016 at 2:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He's theirs to lose

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Don't start Delores, you will have CD and SVD and Geysir saying he is ours to lose pulling out word for word how obfuscated his statements are and that he is is still with us and nothings changed till he actually comes out and declares for Engrrland. Nothing to see here, who's that pulling that rug.

I think Breen is right, maybe a tiny minority aren't aware, but having been involved with underage "irish" GAA teams over here kids know well before 16 who they want to play for. I am sure there are those floaters who are unsure anyway but they will always be "unsure" until the England door is fully closed.

Crowley and Grealish could be a our midfielders for the 2022 world cup.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He declared for England years ago ya nut.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I'll give Crowley the benefit of the doubt that his loan spell at Barnsley going off the boil and his club career stagnating is just a coincidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I'll give Crowley the benefit of the doubt that his loan spell at Barnsley going off the boil and his club career stagnating is just a coincidence.
    Ah here - he's 18!! Stagnating!? Lol

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Ah here - he's 18!! Stagnating!? Lol
    I agree with Stu, he's not stagnating. He's finished.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Another busted flush, if I ever saw one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    So, in theory, Grealish reflects on his decision and decides it's a mistake.

1. Despite having completed the relevant paperwork, he has not played for England, can he still play for us?
    2. In such a scenario would we welcome him back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    geysir or DI could correct me, but by the letter of the law merely making the request, as he has, should tie him to England. Certainly as soon as he "consummates" the switch that would be that.

There are cases, such as Bobby Zamora, where the request appears to have been made but didn't bind the player. I'm not sure if that's just down to an oversight on FIFA's part or if the paperwork was never submitted, or if they only enforce it when a player is capped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Was RedBench brought in to replace Crosby? In terms of causing bewilderment you're doing a fine job RedBench, but you need to work on your randomness and remain off topic always. Preferably your posts shouldn't be football related at all.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    BBC!!! BBC!! BBC!

Whats the story there anyway?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

27. Thanks From: