Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 82 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 5153

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It doesn't sound like a remotely Irish name.

Then again; David Healy, Grant McCann, Warren Feeney, Kyle Lafferty and Gareth McAuley off the top of my head have "Irish" sounding surnames and are of Protestant denomination.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Irwin3 is a good man for this kind of topic...
    Indeed! After checking I see people above have correctly pointed out its origins. From what I can see it is of germanic derivations and it was/is a forename meaning 'bright' 'land'. This forename then later became a patronymic surname. It also appears to have become an occupational surname (Lamb-herd). There were Lamberts from Normandy and it seems likely that some of the Irish Lamberts would be of this extraction.

To this day it is most common among French (20th most common surname) and Belgian (26th) people as well as being fairly common throughout Britain and Ireland and beyond.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Kieran Tierney - Celtic's best player & going to be a huge huge talent - is he on the radar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I was impressed with him on Sunday, reminded me of that Robertson guy that plays for Hull. I was so impressed I looked him up and he's already been capped for Scotland's full team, their recent friendly against Denmark. Don't know if there's any Irish connection but I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 21/04/2016 at 9:42 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    It doesn't sound like a remotely Irish name.

Then again; David Healy, Grant McCann, Warren Feeney, Kyle Lafferty and Gareth McAuley off the top of my head have "Irish" sounding surnames and are of Protestant denomination.
    They are Irish and of protestant denomination. They're not mutually exclusive.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They are Irish and of protestant denomination. They're not mutually exclusive.
    They would probably beg to differ on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Pulled this from my post in the play off thread...

Interestingly, while looking through the Burnley squads I noticed a player for their development squad called Khius Metz who is noted as Irish. A little bit more sleuthing and it appears he is a striker who has been capped for us at U17 and U19 level (Sept 2015). Anyone know anything about him as a prospect outside of that and the connection to Ireland? Maybe ill also post this to the other thread...
    someone tell me Metz is a fierce popular name in Leitrim and his brother, Paudie, is the next Messi...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Kieran Tierney - Celtic's best player & going to be a huge huge talent - is he on the radar?
    He's represented Scotland at under-age level and played in a senior friendly against Denmark last month. We'd need to get acting quick (if he's even eligible). He was born in the Isle of Man himself to two Scottish parents but dunno about grand-parentage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I wouldn't hold it against the FAI for not investiating this one any further!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Young Everton striker Courtney Duffus seemingly on the verge of declaring for us :

I was born in Cheltenham so lived there but my mum’s half-Irish and my dad’s family are Jamaican. I’m eligible to play for Jamaica, England or the Republic of Ireland. I’ve just got my Irish citizenship actually so just waiting for everything to go through with UEFA. I was supposed to go away with the Under 21s in March but it didn’t go through in time and I had an injury anyway.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3541428/Everton-starlet-Courtney-Duffus-Romelu-Lukaku-idol-Bojan-best-player-ve-played-against.html
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 26/04/2016 at 4:16 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    I am pretty sure he played a recent friendly for Scotland

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    As exclusively revealed by DannyInvincible three days ago.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think you'll find I had the exclusive two days before that.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    As exclusively revealed by DeLorean five days ago (and shamelessly plagiarised by DannyInvincible two days later)

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Any word on his younger brother Tyrone coming on board too?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Young Everton striker Courtney Duffus seemingly on the verge of declaring for us :

I was born in Cheltenham so lived there but my mum’s half-Irish and my dad’s family are Jamaican. I’m eligible to play for Jamaica, England or the Republic of Ireland. I’ve just got my Irish citizenship actually so just waiting for everything to go through with UEFA. I was supposed to go away with the Under 21s in March but it didn’t go through in time and I had an injury anyway.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3541428/Everton-starlet-Courtney-Duffus-Romelu-Lukaku-idol-Bojan-best-player-ve-played-against.html
    That could be a very good addition as we could really do with some young strikers coming through. We have young defenders and midfielders both in the national team and close to breaking in but no real out-and-out goalscorers. There are a few potentials on the horizon - Reece Grego-Cox, Khius Metz, Sam Byrne, Gerry McDonagh and possibly Michael Drennan and/or Sean Maguire if they can successfully use the League of Ireland as a platform to another shot at the English leagues - but none who could be considered as close to the national team as the likes of Jack Byrne, Alan Browne, Darragh Lenihan, Tommie Hoban, Derrick Williams or Ian Lawlor. So if Duffus does come on board, it would very much improve our chances of having a decent forward line in years to come

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Have to say I emailed the FAI twice about these guys 3 years ago and didn't get a reply. Evertons academy players profiles on their website mentions what countries they are eligible for and from a quick glance at their website now, I noticed there is at least a couple of lads there who claim to be eligible, Jack Kiersey and Ciaran O'Loughlin. Don't think I'll bother the FAI with this since they couldn't be arsed to reply last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Have to say I emailed the FAI twice about these guys 3 years ago and didn't get a reply. Evertons academy players profiles on their website mentions what countries they are eligible for and from a quick glance at their website now, I noticed there is at least a couple of lads there who claim to be eligible, Jack Kiersey and Ciaran O'Loughlin. Don't think I'll bother the FAI with this since they couldn't be arsed to reply last time.
    Good spot. Re these two lads, O'Loughlin has such an Irish name that he even has the first name spelled without any *******ised version like Kieron or Kieran. And look at the red head on Kiersey here: http://www.evertonfc.com/players/j/jk/jack-kiersey

You'd have to presume that Tyrone Duffus will get his papers in order now as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    You'd have to presume that Tyrone Duffus will get his papers in order now as well.
    You shouldn't presume anything when you're dealing with a Duffus.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 27/04/2016 at 8:59 PM.

27. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Going to post this here, Gary Breen reckons you should have to pin your international colours to the mast upon turning pro at 16 and that should be final. He feels this would keep club hierarchies from influencing matters at a later date and at that age its when you have your purest thoughts about who you are.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/...k-one-country/