Page 7 of 257 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    According to Daniel McDonnell, in the Indo piece which DeckyDee quoted:

"[Noble is] Another grandparent link who holidayed here as a child but pretty much no hope of Noble being converted to the cause as Ireland have tried and failed before. The West Ham midfielder is preparing for the European U-21 Championship with England, and is tipped as a certainty to progress to senior international honours"

Coincidentally, Stuart Pearce picked Noble as his Captain in the England U-21 team which beat Azerbaijan U-21's 7-0 last night, in preparation for their trip to the Euro U-21 Finals.

Tbh, with Zola guiding him at WHU, Noble must be a decent bet for a senior England call-up in the next 2 or 3 years, as McDonnell says.
    Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    If you check the links on the other section, duff at the end of the bulgaria game, made a point and came over to this fella in a wheelchair near the irish section. He grabbed yer mans hand and shook it well not shook it but you know the way you clinch yer hadn with someone!! He then took off his jersey and kissed the badge i think and gave it to the lad win the wheelchair. Thought that was the nicest thing i have seen in a long time by an irish player, ill still remember him though checking in in bratislava behind me walking normal and then when he gets to the lounge and starts limping with all teh irish fans around ;D
    well done duffer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    "decides he wants to use his dubious connections (in previous cases such a connection has often been a dead grandparent that the player in question never even met) and throw his lot in with the Irish..."

Jamie McCarthy?
    Nah, McCarthy clearly wants to play for us...and for the right reasons.

I was thinking more along the lines of Morrisson and Mickey Evans - still embarrassed he got a cap for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    I'm Irish and I'm really keen to play foor Ireland, for all the right reasons, unfortunately though I'm not good enough and I accept that there are better players as eligible for Ireland as I am who are going to be picked ahead of me.

Your argument is stupid, if these English born lads qualify for a passport than they have as much right to play as anyone born in Ireland...thats just a fact
    You really take the biscuit - "your argument is stupid"

You completely missed my point. Well done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    You are wrong about Houghton, his first love was always Scotland. remember reading it in Shoot all those years ago!! lol
    "lol"??

Bit pathetic tbh. I've heard and read him say otherwise..."lol"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post

You stated that you would not be happy with Nolan, Noble or O'Hara playing for Ireland. While I understand that Nolan sat on the fence and O'Hara gave negative vibes, I merely asked what had Noble done or said that made you feel this way

And for the rest of my post? FFS I replied to your one single post. Lads, I think we have to read all Joema's posts before we are entitled to reply
    FFS is right....

Noble has done nothing to irk me, as I said...

He has played for the England 21s 19 times, therefore I don't think he should play for Ireland, simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    FFS is right....

He has played for the England 21s 19 times, therefore I don't think he should play for Ireland, simple as that.
    no way would i want him anywhere near the squad. wouldnt care if he was another pele and maradonna roled into 1.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I don't want any of them playing for us. Irish people should represent Ireland in international sports and Irish people only (you don't necessarily have to be born here to be Irish before the PC brigade get on my case). Ireland's team should not be simply used as a stepping stone on someone's career path irrespective of how much success it brings. It's not going to make much difference anyway. Of the players metioned only Noble may turn out to be noticeably better than what's available already and even then I'd rather have Garvan, McCarthy, Gibson and McCann in the team instead of him.
    Last edited by youngirish; 09/06/2009 at 9:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I don't want any of them playing for us. Irish people sould represent Ireland in international sports and Irish people only (you don't necessarily have to be born here to be Irish before the PC brigade get on my case). Ireland's team should not be simply used as a stepping stone on someone's career path irrespective of how much success it brings. It's not going to make much difference anyway. Of the players metioned only Noble may turn out to be noticeably better than what's available already and even then I'd rather have Garvan, McCarthy, Gisbon and McCann in the team instead of him.
    Sorry 'Youngirish' cant agree with you there.

I made the point earlier about Andy Townsend, we see what he did for us. I guess you could say the same about Phil Babulous and Trigger
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Totally agree with youngirish on this one. None of them are even worth pursuing to be honest.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    FFS is right....

You are not making sense - I replied FFS because you had a go at me for not reading later posts.So am I expected to read everything you post afterwards before I can reply to an earlier one? Cop on

In addition, why are you such a Houghton lover when he made it clear Scotland were the side he would rather have played for? your argument makes no sense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Totally agree with youngirish on this one. None of them are even worth pursuing to be honest.
    Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess

Lets see how it pans out
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    "lol"??

Bit pathetic tbh. I've heard and read him say otherwise..."lol"
    bit pathetic? what is? where's your argument?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Couldn't be arsed anymore...see ya

Load of ye wanting an England B team. Embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Speaking of naturalized brazilians....
    What about all the ones down in Gort, any of them coming good soon??

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    All for giving someone a chance to represent a country which they are entitled to represent, providing they are interested. However, the thought of going with a begging bowl to a second rate player who lacks commitment to the cause would disturb me.

Initially thought Noble etc. was a good shout, however having seen him on Sky Sports News tonight talking about how much he loves playing for England and worst of all bellowing out the peasant's anthem that is God Save the Queen there is no way in the world that I would want to see him in a green shirt.

Agree with YoungIrish - blood the Kids before that lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    Speaking of naturalized brazilians....
    What about all the ones down in Gort, any of them coming good soon??
    Hahaha! I noticed that myself. The names of Seán Áron O' Nascimento or Ronald O'Kelly might be popping up in the future

In addition to youngirish's contention, I reckon that young people from the North who want to play for the Republic should also be given consideration before second or third generation 'Irish' people from Britain or elsewhere.
    Last edited by Predator; 09/06/2009 at 9:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Initially thought Noble etc. was a good shout, however having seen him on Sky Sports News tonight talking about how much he loves playing for England and worst of all bellowing out the peasant's anthem that is God Save the Queen there is no way in the world that I would want to see him in a green shirt.
    Said I'd pop in here once more

Spot on, reminds me of when Matt Holland belted out GSTQ at the play-off final in Wembley while an Ireland international

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I really dont think this rule change will affect us too much in the near future. But where it might come into play is that it might stop England giving lads one or 2 caps just to tie them down to them so that if they develop further they will have no choice but to play for England. The likes of Noble and Ferdinand have been involved in the England set up for far too long for them or us to consider a change in countries.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Fair point, and that be the case with Andy Lonergan.

I think for us to even consider chasing Noble or Ferdinand would be just cringeworthy.

The likes of Houghton & Aldridge were overlooked by their birth countries, quite remarkably, as far as I can remember. I'm not sure if either was capped at any underage level - anyone know for sure? Both were late developers.

Reaching out to an uncapped and overlooked eligible player is a very different proposition to actively poaching a guy who has multiple appearances at U21 level.

Page 7 of 257 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast