Page 76 of 257 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That Tabi bloke who played for our U17s has just defected to England.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34218104.html
    Here's a companion piece to that -

'Five English-born Irish qualified players who could be future starts in green'
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34219615.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fallon
    Marcus Tabi’s defection from Ireland to the Auld Enemy highlights the lengths England are going to at underage level to snap up dual-nationality talent.
    To be fair, we go to considerable lengths ourselves to snap up dual nationals, so it's not as if we can cry "foul" or hold it against them. Fallon hasn't explicitly stated it's a problem, but I just got a sense of mild disapproval.

England tried and failed twice to entice Grealish onboard in his teens and it was only after Martin O’Neill blew his chance of capping a talent gift-wrapped to him by U-21 manager Noel King that the blunder was seized upon to Ireland's detriment.
    Is this is a new interpretation in hindsight? It's rather harsh. Which chance did O'Neill blow? Is Fallon referring to the US friendly tour, in which none of the games would actually have tied Grealish, who was, it should also be pointed out, playing at League One level for Notts County at the time? "Gift-wrapped" for senior level? I'm not so sure. Any time O'Neill offered a competitive call-up, it seems Grealish got cold feet. That's not O'Neill's blunder. Nor was O'Neill to know that Grealish was to eventually switch; Jack and his father appeared to have given O'Neill the impression that the chances of him sticking with Ireland were high, so there appeared to be no urgent need to push the matter. Not that O'Neill could have forced the issue anyway considering it was entirely up to Grealish. It is also worth remembering that Grealish was unwilling to continue playing for King too.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I also think it is very harsh to put the blame on O'Neill and say it's his fault that Grealish jumped. It seems to me that Grealish always thought he was too good for Ireland. If anything Grealish started to believe in his own hype, hype created in the media by his own father who no doubt loved the International tug-o-war. Grealish believed he was a superstar. You can also be sure the influence of his agent Jonathan Barnett of Stellar Group & the likes of Tim Sherwood telling him he wouldn't be sold not even for 60 million pounds didn't help. Moral of the story - Blame Jack 100% & not MON.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 20/11/2015 at 8:09 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I don't think he's a bad lad but I think he was very poorly advised by grown men who should know better and I don't think he'll ever play in a major tournament in his career.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Would have to disagree with you. I think once he starts to play consistently he will force his way into England's reckoning, but not for next year's Euros. In saying that I hope you prove correct! Would he have made our squad if he hadn't changed allegiance? I think he would have, so he will have time to reflect on his decision over the summer. Also, in regards to Bamford, if he did come on board, who would be dropped from the Euro squad? It would be harsh on One of the probable 4 strikers - Walters, Murphy, Long and Keane. Murphy would possibly be the one to be left out, though Robbie's lack of game time for us would suggest he is certainly 4th choice now. It would be great if a few players did come on board, more for the upcoming WC campaign than the Euros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Here's a companion piece to that -

'Five English-born Irish qualified players who could be future starts in green'
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34219615.html
    I read that earlier, they misspelled "and" under the photo as "abd" and are still describing current England u19 player Daniel Crowley's chances of staying green as "moderate"
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    What IS the latest on Crowley?

Was reading the article on the recent kid to leave Irish set-up for England, and it referenced Crowley as a goner. Never saw much reported, is it a sure thing? Or do they mean that he left us awhile back?

He was in the Irish set up, now he's with the England (has been for a bit), but I thought the talk was that he was considering a switch back?

Is it that he got a call-up recently (maybe to a higher age group) and took it? Think everything I've questioned is accurate, but all this back and forth is confusing.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's been with England for a year or more. Recently scored a fine individual goal in a win over Japan. His loan at Barnsley ended early as the coach there didn't feel he was making enough progress to warrant continuing with the first team, so for the time being he doesn't have to make a final decision.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Some of these are quite funny. Nothing offensive.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-...572I&ocid=iehp
    Jack would never hear the end of it!
    Wouldn't it be good if Ireland do better at the Euros than England!!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I also think it is very harsh to put the blame on O'Neill and say it's his fault that Grealish jumped. It seems to me that Grealish always thought he was too good for Ireland. If anything Grealish started to believe in his own hype, hype created in the media by his own father who no doubt loved the International tug-o-war. Grealish believed he was a superstar. You can also be sure the influence of his agent Jonathan Barnett of Stellar Group & the likes of Tim Sherwood telling him he wouldn't be sold not even for 60 million pounds didn't help. Moral of the story - Blame Jack 100% & not MON.
    I got the impression his father wanted him to play for Ireland, but I put a lot of blame on Sherwood trying to hype up his value.
    Plus I think the likelihood of international football would be a factor, things didn't look as bright for Ireland at the time.
    You don't want to sitting at home when you could be playing at a major tournament however as it turns out he may have made
    the wrong decision on that score.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Charlie Austin to switch allegiances to be in with a chance of playing in the Euros?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Charlie Austin to switch allegiances to be in with a chance of playing in the Euros?
    Link?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Also, in regards to Bamford, if he did come on board, who would be dropped from the Euro squad? It would be harsh on One of the probable 4 strikers - Walters, Murphy, Long and Keane. Murphy would possibly be the one to be left out, though Robbie's lack of game time for us would suggest he is certainly 4th choice now. It would be great if a few players did come on board, more for the upcoming WC campaign than the Euros.
    Yeah I wouldn't dangle any carrot of a place in the squad for the Euros, I'd simply sound him out and let him know that we'd be very interested in giving him opportunities, if he was to switch back. A place for the Euros might not really be practical at this stage anyway, isn't there a lot of paper work and various clearances that have to go through that take a few months. Danny knows more about that stuff? And like CD said, it wouldn't send a very good message to the guys that got us there.

His international prospects are probably the least of his worries at the moment anyway.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 22/11/2015 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Some of these are quite funny. Nothing offensive.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-...572I&ocid=iehp
    The more offensive ones were omitted, here's what was sent to him between Monday and Wednesday: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...l%3A2015-11-17
    (click the "Live" tab and scroll down)
    Some are funny, some are pretty vile
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He said he would play for Ireland if he could find a link. Could he not get Irish people to adopt him now or something? Surely the FAI could get around it...
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 22/11/2015 at 11:28 AM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Instagram post by Daniel Crowley yesterday of him and his brother watching the football, presumably PL matches: https://instagram.com/p/-WTjftxXgo/?...anielcrowley10

His younger brother is wearing an Ireland jersey. And last week Crowley was wearing the England jersey.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Decisions can be complicated when it comes to playing international football !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't dangle any carrot of a place in the squad for the Euros, I'd simply sound him out and let him know that we'd be very interested in giving him opportunities, if he was to switch back. A place for the Euros might not really be practical at this stage anyway, isn't there a lot of paper work and various clearances that have to go through that take a few months. Danny knows more about that stuff?
    The administrative side of the switch process can take between 3-6 months, so I think there would be time yet if he did want to try and aim for it, but he'd need to get moving. Whether or not he'd be worth a place is another matter, whilst the potential effect such a call-up might have on squad morale would also have to be taken into account.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Grealish dropped from Villa first team squad for the foreseeable future

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34930220

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Coupled with our qualification, he is the gift that keeps on giving at the moment. Loving it.