Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 75 of 257 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Personally, despite their talents, I wish we'd stop chasing these lads. I wish the media would stop talking about them. And I wish we focused more on what we have, and could have, already in the squads and at home.

Look at the current under-19 squad, 7 of them are home based, home grown players. At least three of them have first team appearances at their clubs. That's the kind of player we should be focusing on now. Develop our own, feck these English academies, and feck chasing English born players who are undecided over who they want to play for.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Dean Saunders was on Sky talking about Wales' success. He said that Toshack (under whom Saunders worked as assistant) decided he'd had enough of constant failure and decided to blood a young team, almost certain in the knowledge they'd fail again, but on the basis that if the group stayed together for 6 years they might have a chance. Most of this current team were among that crop.

Now, it clearly helps when one is Gareth Bale and if course Saunders will give credit to the management team he was a part of but it probably holds true to some degree.

In Ireland's case there doesn't even appear to be any consistency from one under age squad from game to game, let alone season to season, throughout the age groups. Or am I mistaken?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Good/bad news on Crowley, if you get my drift, from an Irish perspective.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...t-Oakwell.html

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Barnsley Manager Lee Johnson on Crowleys return to Arsenal:

"I think that Dan's had a fantastic time here, we've really enjoyed working with him. He's probably one of the best, or the best, or most talented 18-year-olds I've ever seen.

I came through the ranks at Arsenal as well, so there's players like Ashley Cole that I include in that, players that have had very good careers. For me, it was fantastic to work with him.

I'd love to work with him someday in the future, because I believe at some point this boy will play for the England national team, if he can iron out the little bits that will come through maturing and playing in a different level."
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Kwame Ampadu's son, Ethan, is still playing for Wales, so come on Kwame sort it out!

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/s...against-wales/

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    He is in the England set up as well

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Barnsley Manager Lee Johnson on Crowleys return to Arsenal:

"I think that Dan's had a fantastic time here, we've really enjoyed working with him. He's probably one of the best, or the best, or most talented 18-year-olds I've ever seen.

I came through the ranks at Arsenal as well, so there's players like Ashley Cole that I include in that, players that have had very good careers. For me, it was fantastic to work with him.

I'd love to work with him someday in the future, because I believe at some point this boy will play for the England national team, if he can iron out the little bits that will come through maturing and playing in a different level."
    Didn't Barnsley lose even game though?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think we should try to get the ball moving on Bamford to try to avoid situations like tonight. He's not seeing much game time at Palace and is a smart guy, it should become fairly obvious to him that his England chances will be way, way off at best. MON would probably still chose a battering ram over him anyway but he'd be a great man to spring from the bench in Long's absence. Just a thought, no need for a 'we should concentrate more on producing our own players' onslaught.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    We should wait IMO They will be coming to us now
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I think we should try to get the ball moving on Bamford to try to avoid situations like tonight. He's not seeing much game time at Palace and is a smart guy, it should become fairly obvious to him that his England chances will be way, way off at best. MON would probably still chose a battering ram over him anyway but he'd be a great man to spring from the bench in Long's absence. Just a thought, no need for a 'we should concentrate more on producing our own players' onslaught.
    Bamford would act as a great foil to Walters, particularly in games where Wes may not be favoured.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Bamford would act as a great foil to Walters, particularly in games where Wes may not be favoured.
    If we could get him and Connor Wickham at the same time it would be a lovely bit of work.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd prefer if we stuck with players who actually want to play for us. It would be hugely dispiriting to the current group and the next generation if we start chasing people who've explicitly refused us before.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't think it needs to be a chase, a simple inquiry and leave it up to the player then. If he accepts, it means he actually wants to play for us, if he doesn't then just let it go. Timing could be everything though and I'm not really talking about luring guys with the carrot of playing in the Euros. Cyrus Christie is a good example of a decent player we efficiently acquired without any distraction or fuss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    If we could get him and Connor Wickham at the same time it would be a lovely bit of work.
    Wickham is hardly Irish. Wasn't his Da in the British Army in Belfast just? I was sure that was the only connection. Am I wrong?
    Plus he's played for England all the way up so I'd leave him. Let's get some lads with proper irish connection who aren't posting up poppies on Twitter every November
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't think it needs to be a chase, a simple inquiry and leave it up to the player then. If he accepts, it means he actually wants to play for us, if he doesn't then just let it go. Timing could be everything though and I'm not really talking about luring guys with the carrot of playing in the Euros. Cyrus Christie is a good example of a decent player we efficiently acquired without any distraction or fuss.
    Chase was probably an exaggeration. Bringing in anybody who's been asked before and shown no interest whatsoever would be a kick in the teeth.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Some of these are quite funny. Nothing offensive.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-...572I&ocid=iehp

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Chase was probably an exaggeration. Bringing in anybody who's been asked before and shown no interest whatsoever would be a kick in the teeth.
    I wouldn't disagree with that, don't think Bamford fits that description though really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Wickham is hardly Irish. Wasn't his Da in the British Army in Belfast just? I was sure that was the only connection. Am I wrong?
    Plus he's played for England all the way up so I'd leave him. Let's get some lads with proper irish connection who aren't posting up poppies on Twitter every November
    His dad was born in the north so i would assume it was maybe his grandfather who did the whole carrying a rifle around Belfast, met a girl here, etc. We can only speculate about if he would be interested, but if he is what his dad thinks about politics, or what his grandad did for a living wouldn't put me off him. If we were only to pick players who didn't wear poppies we would have a squad of 1.

The NI fans would also flip their collective lids, which is always a bonus.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    That Tabi bloke who played for our U17s has just defected to England.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34218104.html
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 20/11/2015 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    3 Irish grandparents too apparently. Another Michael Keane/Jack Grealish on our hands...
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 20/11/2015 at 11:33 AM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo