Page 55 of 257 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Duffy played in an under-18 friendly for us against Wales a few years ago.

Nigel; is he from Donegal as in he was born in Donegal, or he is living in Donegal but was born in Derry?

Oddly, I know someone who was born in Altnagelvin whilst her parents lived near Buncrana. She later moved to Derry and holds a British passport with Donegal (or it might even be Letterkenny actually) as her place of birth.
    I'm not sure of the specific details. May well have been born in Altnagelvin, as is common around border areas in Donegal. Far as I'm aware, he grew up and played all his underage football in St Johnston, with Kildrum Tigers.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'm not sure of the specific details. May well have been born in Altnagelvin, as is common around border areas in Donegal. Far as I'm aware, he grew up and played all his underage football in St Johnston, with Kildrum Tigers.
    Although it would stand to reason, that mightn't necessarily mean he's from there. I had a friend who was born and raised in County Derry but played a lot of under-age football for Kildrum (and Killea). His father would drop him in for training and games.

The Derry City website says that Duffy's hometown is Derry and I'm open to correction but I believe he went to St Columb's in the city (again, that doesn't mean he couldn't have been born and reared in Donegal).
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    The Derry City website says that Duffy's hometown is Derry and I'm open to correction but I believe he went to St Columb's in the city (again, that doesn't mean he couldn't have been born and reared in Donegal).
    You're definitely right about him going to St. Columb's. See: http://www.irishfa.com/international...michael-duffy/ and http://www.nisfa.co.uk/Latest_News.a...0-a4466c9016ed

Although, as you say, that's not really illuminating; there are plenty of students living on the Donegal side of the border who attend St. Columb's and other schools in Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Andy Lonergan's started in goals for Bolton against Liverpool in the FA Cup tonight. Is Bogdán injured or is Lonergan the number one now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    You're definitely right about him going to St. Columb's. See: http://www.irishfa.com/international...michael-duffy/ and http://www.nisfa.co.uk/Latest_News.a...0-a4466c9016ed

Although, as you say, that's not really illuminating; there are plenty of students living on the Donegal side of the border who attend St. Columb's and other schools in Derry.
    Born in St Johnston, moved to Derry and went to school there. Came back to play football in St Johnston again. Found out more information on him yesterday but forgot to update this hugely vital information.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Lonergan was Phil Neville's "best player on the pitch" despite ten-man Bolton losing 2-1 after conceding a late double. Liam Feeney, who is also eligible for us (although NI seemed keen on him a few years ago), played.

Born in St Johnston, moved to Derry and went to school there. Came back to play football in St Johnston again. Found out more information on him yesterday but forgot to update this hugely vital information.
    Any idea how he qualifies to play for the IFA? I wonder does he have at least one parent or grandparent from the north or maybe he's eligible simply as a result of having been schooled in Derry for five years before the age of 18?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Any idea how he qualifies to play for the IFA? I wonder does he have at least one parent or grandparent from the north or maybe he's eligible simply as a result of having been schooled in Derry for five years before the age of 18?
    There could be a whole raft of different reasons. Surely though, on the same token as a Northern player wishing to play for Republic or Ireland, he can choose which he wants due to Good Friday Agreement and all that jazz? I'm not sure the whole ins and outs of that one.

Alternatively, he could have been born into St Johnston, but actually born in Altnagelvin as guessed before.

Best guess would be his schooling in Derry making him eligible though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think I just heard Danny explode.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Doesn't sound like there's much of an affinity there with Northern Ireland, regardless. Surely one for our under-21's. Unless he's taking the Niall McGinn approach.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There could be a whole raft of different reasons. Surely though, on the same token as a Northern player wishing to play for Republic or Ireland, he can choose which he wants due to Good Friday Agreement and all that jazz? I'm not sure the whole ins and outs of that one.

Alternatively, he could have been born into St Johnston, but actually born in Altnagelvin as guessed before.

Best guess would be his schooling in Derry making him eligible though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think I just heard Danny explode.
    Ha, Nigel's having me on. At least, I think... Right, Nigel?

On Duffy possibly having been "born into" St. Johnston, I wonder how common it is for people whose family are resident in Donegal but who are born in Altnagelvin to have their births legally registered in Donegal, as if to suggest they were actually born in Donegal. I mentioned my friend a few posts ago who has Letterkenny/Donegal on her passport as her place of birth despite having been born in Derry, but I assumed she was a pretty rare case. I'm not entirely sure how it all works really.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I can see a Bonnie Shels t-shirt at the next Championships we qualify for: Altnagelvin Alberts, while his mate sixesandsevens will wear an Altnagelvin Celtic one. Termonbarry, your time is up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Ha, Nigel's having me on. At least, I think... Right, Nigel?

On Duffy possibly having been "born into" St. Johnston, I wonder how common it is for people whose family are resident in Donegal but who are born in Altnagelvin to have their births legally registered in Donegal, as if to suggest they were actually born in Donegal. I mentioned my friend a few posts ago who has Letterkenny/Donegal on her passport as her place of birth despite having been born in Derry, but I assumed she was a pretty rare case. I'm not entirely sure how it all works really.
    I'm not sure exactly how common it is, but I do know quite a number of people whom I grew up around that were born in Derry yet lived in Letterkenny. Whether or not they have Donegal or Derry on their passports as birth place I've no idea whatsoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Roy Hodgson watched Harry Kane score twice for Spurs today as they beat Arsenal 2-1, so I'd imagine Kane will be getting that sought-after senior England call-up sooner rather than later.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Roy Hodgson watched Harry Kane score twice for Spurs today as they beat Arsenal 2-1, so I'd imagine Kane will be getting that sought-after senior England call-up sooner rather than later.
    Danny Murphy urges Hodgson to build his team around Kane and Arsene Wenger says that he should be put in the England team or "...somebody else will give him a passport." http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31204958 - maybe a good time to send MON to Middlesbrough to have a word in the ear of Patrick Bamford (or at least get Keiren Westwood to have a chat with Will Keane, who got his first senior goal yesterday, albeit a penalty)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I saw someone mention Lamar Neagle of the Seattle Sounders as a potential call up recently, oddly enough his team mate Aaron Kovar (the guy they intend to replace DeAndre Yedlin with) also has an Irish passport! First noticed it playing football manager and then after some googling found it confirmed here -

https://goalwa.wordpress.com/2011/08...layer-of-year/
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Whole heap of players on Football Manager end up playing for Ireland. In the latest game I'm running Adam Hammill, Luke Chambers, Andy Lonergan and Will Buckley are all in the Ireland squad.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 09/02/2015 at 9:40 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    I saw someone mention Lamar Neagle of the Seattle Sounders as a potential call up recently, oddly enough his team mate Aaron Kovar (the guy they intend to replace DeAndre Yedlin with) also has an Irish passport! First noticed it playing football manager and then after some googling found it confirmed here -

Very interesting. States that an uncle of his is involved in the FAI. Presumably his mother is Irish-born.

He also states that he wants to play for America though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post

He claims to have "played in Ireland with some clubs" and says his uncle is in the "Irish FA" (I assume he means the FAI). I wonder which clubs he's played for in Ireland... There's no record of having played in Ireland on his Wiki. Maybe he's trained during summer visits or something, like Shane O'Neill has done in Cork. Making it with the US appears to Kovar's priority, but he is open to representing us too.

This piece suggests left-back should be his position: http://www.sounderatheart.com/thefut...-of-the-future

It appears he plays as left winger otherwise. Isn't Yedlin a right-back?

General interview with Kovar here:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Whole heap of players on Football Manager end up playing for Ireland. In the latest game I'm running Adam Hammill, Luke Chambers, Andy Lonergan and Will Buckley are all in the Ireland squad.
    Lonergan's roots are in Ballybofey.