Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    OK, I know I said I was disengaging and all, but I've some time to kill and I'll stay strictly on topic, I swear!

TOWK; if you look at an English phonebook, electoral register or some similar type of document, pluck one surname out at random and then look for another one of Gaelic/Irish origin, you can't seriously say that the chances of both respective name-holders being of immediate Irish descent (parentage/gradparentage) would be so similar so as to render the investigation of surnames of Irish origin in order to find residents in England with Irish parent(s) or grandparent(s) completely useless. That's a much better analogy for the discussion of potential eligible players than the absurd angle from which you're trying to analyse this above. Generally, the likelihood of someone with a surname of Irish origin having immediate Irish roots would obviously be so much greater than the likelihood of someone with another randomly-chosen surname having immediate Irish roots.

All of Kyle Lafferty, Grant McCann, Gareth McAuley and David Healy were actually eligible to play for us before representing NI. Why are they even relevant? There's a slightly different dynamic at play there considering they're from the north. And who's to say none of them identify as Irish anyway?

I still don't get why such investigation or conjecture into Irish surnames and the possible eligibility of their holders could actually bother anyone. Why is it even an issue? I'm seriously stumped. What's the harm in it if people want to speculate on possible eligible players?

Just on Redmond, O'Neill stated in the past there "might be some sort of connection" and, later, that he is "aware he can play for us". I think it's fair to assume he's eligible. O'Neill wouldn't be as clumsy to publicly name-check players who weren't eligible.

TOWK; you constantly make snide, crass and brash remarks and then try to play innocent when they provoke backlash. You claim you were joking and that it was all harmless when people rightly call you up on your looseness and lack of tact. You clearly weren't joking; the evidence is in the fact that you actually do have an issue with people speculating about the eligibility of players with Irish surnames. You have even bizarrely followed through with the following ludicrous question, as if there's any comparison between the likelihood of someone with an Irish-origin first name alone being eligible and the likelihood of someone with an Irish-origin surname being eligible: "Is having an Irish first name not an indicator (however scant) of eligibility? Genuinely curious."

See, if you're genuinely curious (even though I do think you're being disingenuous if you claim to be unable to see the distinction tets has outlined for you above), then you can't have been joking. You were obviously trying to make a serious point or statement. In fact, you explicitly contradict yourself in your final two paragraphs. First you say the Seagar remark was a joke - harmless, meaningless - but then you complain that people didn't take it seriously: "I'm also genuinely curious as to how when someone conjectures over McCarthy's eligibility, they are taken at face value yet my comment about Seager isn't." You're all over the place and seriously puzzling at times.

Seeing as you so often make an issue of it, I don't think I'd be too far off the mark in suggesting that the actual (underlying) problem here for you is with England-born second and third generation Irish (of whose commitment and ability you are often doubtful) being selected ahead of Ireland-born players of similar or inferior ability. Consequently, you seem to possess some strange aversion to mere discussion of the potential eligibility of England-born players with Irish surnames, lest they were ever found to be eligible and considered for selection. I can't understand how someone could otherwise actually have an issue with this. If I have it wrong, please correct and enlighten me.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    TOWK doesn't. Re.surnames...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Nathan Redmond is definitely eligible through his maternal grandparents.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Nathan Redmond is definitely eligible through his maternal grandparents.
    I'm assuming they were Redmonds then as I understand from a quick bit of research that his mother, Michelle Redmond, was a single parent.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm assuming they were Redmonds then as I understand from a quick bit of research that his mother, Michelle Redmond, was a single parent.
    Yup, his Mum is a Redmond and as far as I remember her own father was Irish and her Mum was either Irish or the daughter of Irish immigrants. I was told all of this over pints in Birmingham by a close relative, it was a very random encounter!

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Just when we thought Nathan Redmond had inadvertently dealt a blow to our faith in name-profiling, DI pops in to rescue it from the fire.

Thank for the info, Wangball. Sounds like a quite Irish background if his mother is a single parent- I suppose it's much dependent on whether his, presumably, non-Irish father has much influence on his identity.

Conversely, wasn't Kane Ferdinand born to a single, English mother and took her name but employed his father's birthplace (Ireland, second name McGovern) to qualify for us? Again, haven't a notion the standard of a relationship he enjoys with his father. As with Redmond, he is legally known by his mother's second name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Just when we thought Nathan Redmond had inadvertently dealt a blow to our faith in name-profiling, DI pops in to rescue it from the fire.
    I wouldn't concede an inch to TOWK!

Conversely, wasn't Kane Ferdinand born to a single, English mother and took her name but employed his father's birthplace (Ireland, second name McGovern) to qualify for us? Again, haven't a notion the standard of a relationship he enjoys with his father. As with Redmond, he is legally known by his mother's second name.
    Aye, Kane Ferdinand's father is a McGovern from Dublin. This would appear to suggest that Kane sees him as being "part of [his] huge family" (as well as cousins Rio and Anton, whom he had never met at the time that was published), so whatever that means...: http://footballleagueblog.dailymail....ferdinand.html

You'd imagine he would have some sort of close relationship with his father if he's happy to identify with his Irish lineage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Sort of related to this discussion, the U17s are having a training camp at the moment, one of the defenders is with Olympique Lyonnais - Mathieu Gadet
    there's a brief mention of him on the FAI's site: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/iris...-training-game
    Toulouse-born Gadet, 15, qualifies for Ireland through his Donabate-born mother Catriona and speaks English with a perfect Dublin accent! He enjoyed his first experience in an Irish squad. "It was a nice opportunity for me. I was delighted to be asked over for these few days and I know Ireland well as I've been over here many times visiting my family," said the defender.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye but according to my pal in Finland, with his half-Irish son on HJK's books, there's a Michael ? Kennedy who's just been selected by the Brazilian U-21 team!!!
    Allegedly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Aye but according to my pal in Finland, with his half-Irish son on HJK's books, there's a Michael ? Kennedy who's just been selected by the Brazilian U-21 team!!!
    Allegedly.
    Actually from playing Football Manager I know there's a lad that plays for HJK called Demba Savage, I wonder if he's anything to the Kilkenny branch of the Savage Family? They have form for producing players - Dave was a stalwart for Millwall!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Yup, his Mum is a Redmond and as far as I remember her own father was Irish and her Mum was either Irish or the daughter of Irish immigrants. I was told all of this over pints in Birmingham by a close relative, it was a very random encounter!
    His mother is on Twitter; the account is protected, although, when I was looking into Redmond's background, I happened to come across this tweet from a site cached by Google that archives old tweets:

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Redmond @michredz2510
    @FrancineTotti @Irish_Leeds @cyruschristie @NathanRedmond22 because he has chosen to play for England rather than Ireland .. sorry x
    I can't see to what that was in response, however.

Allegedly.
    Is there a third O'Shaughnessy brother in Finland? Can you divulge the son's name? Would he favour playing for Ireland over Finland?

And isn't Michael Kennedy the solicitor of Roy Keane?

I can't see any sign of a Kennedy in Brazil's under-20/21 squad. I've had a look here: http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/brazil...nder-21/11347/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_...#Current_squad

I think he's having you on.

Anyone remember Kennedy Bakircioglü? He must surely have been eligible for us. He's got an Irish first name, like...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    His mother is on Twitter; the account is protected, although, when I was looking into Redmond's background, I happened to come across this tweet from a site cached by Google that archives old tweets:
    Interestingly she seems to have another son called Niall - he'll be doubly eligible.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Anyone remember Kennedy Bakircioglü? He must surely have been eligible for us. He's got an Irish first name, like...
    I do, he was a legend on Championship Manager around the 2000/01 release
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Allegedly.
    There's this young lad with their under 17's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_..._do_Nascimento

Robert Kenedy would have Irish conotations were it not for the absence of one of an 'N'. Goodness knows where it came from otherwise.

A quick look at this suggests 'Robert Kenedy' is a given name, after Bobby Kennedy. An Irish-American ancestor inspiring him being named after an Irish-American politician is about as far as my powers of dubious speculation could reach on this one. http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/...nense.1982520/
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 22/01/2015 at 5:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    There was a reasonably high-profile Daniel Kenedy from Guinea-Bissau who played for Portugal's under-21s (as well as Benfica and PSG at club level) in the mid-90s. He was actually later selected for Portugal's 2002 World Cup squad, but was kicked out of the squad before the tournament commenced after failing a drugs test. Like Kennedy Bakircioglü, Daniel Kenedy was named after John F. Kennedy (albeit with an 'N' missing for some reason), according to Wikipedia.

There is another Brazlian, Kenedy Silva Reis, currently playing in Qatar with Al-Sailiya who is a bit older than the above Kenedy of Fluminense. From where this unusual spelling of Kennedy has originated and why an 'N' is dropped, I dunno...

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Cat, meet pigeons ... a Niall Maher of Manchester, England, has just joined Blackpool from Bolton. A man yielding Irish connotations in both names. Discuss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30942668

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Cat, meet pigeons ... a Niall Maher of Manchester, England, has just joined Blackpool from Bolton. A man yielding Irish connotations in both names. Discuss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30942668
    Big Moroccan community in Manchester.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Perhaps, but I think in this case not and even if so, how then do you account for Salfords Kieran Nolan, left behind at Bolton, a man who looks like he would fire a sod of wet turf at a passing donkey. In a flash.

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/team/reserve_profiles/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Sort of related to this discussion, the U17s are having a training camp at the moment, one of the defenders is with Olympique Lyonnais - Mathieu Gadet
    there's a brief mention of him on the FAI's site: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/iris...-training-game
    Aye, of the Sheriff Street Gadets. Derived from gadaigh (goid), a fine Irish name if ever I saw one.