Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 257 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Ok, for one I am delighted that this rule has been changed. A lot of you out there who don’t agree with it are all saying things like “they choose for England so they should stay with England” etc, but before saying stuff like that, please read my points below

Point 1 – Andy Townsend

Remember him? You just might, he capped Ireland over 70 times and got 7 goals to add to that as well and oh yeah, one more thing, he also captained the team.

Andy Townsend supported England against the Republic in Euro 88

Point 2 – Kevin Gallen

Kevin Gallen was bullied into choosing England by his then club QPR. It’s the club I support and I have been quick to point it out to fellow fans on another board, their answers make for some good reading. (Links below)

How many other players were forced into doing things because they were young? Kevin says that in his interview with the times, note the words ‘Young & stupid” Maybe Kevin Nolan THOUGHT it was the right thing to do then and now has changed his mind?

Did you ever do anything at 20/21 years of age that you have regretted since? I sure as hell have!

http://qprdot.org/viewtopic.php?t=36...+truth&start=0

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1049707.ece

Manner

I think the most important thing for the FAI to do now is to check the records and see what the player’s reactions were when they were first approached. Was it a ‘yes maybe’’? Was it ‘I will think about it?’

If Kevin Nolan needed time and eventually said ‘No’ then ok I think he should be given a second chance. However if Mark Nobles reaction was ‘Feck Off you Oirish Mick’ then he should be not considered. Do you see what I am saying?
    Last edited by Deckydee; 08/06/2009 at 2:57 PM. Reason: More feckin font issues :o)
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Nolan was actually over in Dalymount Park for a competitive fixture and was named in the team but at the last minute decided to tell Kerr he wanted more time to think about it and went home.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Nolan was actually over in Dalymount Park for a competitive fixture and was named in the team but at the last minute decided to tell Kerr he wanted more time to think about it and went home.
    Really?????!!! Are you serious?? Wow!

Would love to see a link on that one!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Now I know wikipedia is not always the most reliable source. However I am assuming that most of the time a players wiki page is updated/edited by themselves or somebody close to them?
    I've been checking Nolan's wiki page regularly the last few days since the new eligability rule came in. Where it previously stated that that Nolan could no longer declare for the Ireland or Dutch squads, today it reads:

Republic of Ireland

'On Friday, the 5th June 2009, article 18 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes was ammended by FIFA Congress to allow players who have competed as a junior for one country to still follow an international career with another. This is excellent news for Kevin as it now enables him to offically declare for the Republic of Ireland. Nolan is known to be keen to pull on the green of Ireland and has had numerous discussions with previous Irish management teams on this matter. However, he has previously played for England at under-21 level, albeit in a friendly, which disqualified him from playing for the Republic of Ireland's senior team.'

Interesting.
    Whoever said that isnt Quoting Kevin Nolan. He made it clear in the past he didn't consider himself Irish and didn't want to represent us. As did Kitson in fairness to them.

I dunno. If it's within the scope of the rules... It's within the scope of the rules. Any manager would be inclined to exploit them, and knowing Trap as we do now he's not going to do anything that he feels would be counter productive to the greater goal.

It's like the new offside rule with the big man "obstructing" the Keeper from a set peice. It's unsavoury somewhat but doesn't detract from the result if it's your team!!!

Saying that. Keeps it interest off the pitch. Is he elligable? What if this fella etc I love all that ****.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Whoever said that isnt Quoting Kevin Nolan. He made it clear in the past he didn't consider himself Irish and didn't want to represent us. As did Kitson in fairness to them.

I dunno. If it's within the scope of the rules... It's within the scope of the rules. Any manager would be inclined to exploit them, and knowing Trap as we do now he's not going to do anything that he feels would be counter productive to the greater goal.

It's like the new offside rule with the big man "obstructing" the Keeper from a set peice. It's unsavoury somewhat but doesn't detract from the result if it's your team!!!

Saying that. Keeps it interest off the pitch. Is he elligable? What if this fella etc I love all that ****.
    Hi Dr,

Are you sure about that? Would really love to find a link on that one. I think he wants to play unless someone can prove otherwise. Here is my proof BTW:

From rte.ie - Wednesday, 09 August 2006 2:13

Steve Staunton is still hoping that Kevin Nolan will don the green Irish jersey. Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton is hoping to cut through a mountain of red tape in a bid to lure Kevin Nolan into the fold.

Staunton and Bolton captain Nolan have discussed on several occasions the prospect of the midfielder pulling on the green of Ireland.

Staunton is eager to recruit a player of Nolan's calibre, yet there remain obstacles, even though he qualifies to play for the Republic via the grandparents' ruling.

Nolan has previously played for England at under-21 level, albeit in a friendly, and featured in a competitive game for the under-18s.

There is a precedent as Everton's Tim Cahill played for Samoa at youth level, yet now represents Australia after lodging a successful appeal with FIFA.

Staunton is not giving up just yet as he said: 'There's a lot of issues surrounding this one.

'Once we cut through the red tape then we will know where we are, and I cannot say much more than that.'

If we continue go on about Nolan BTW, can we change to here:

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=33877&page=22

Maybe a moderator can have it re-opened?

Also, just found these

Republic lose out on Nolan - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...an-663574.html

Nolan's final avenue to Ireland squad closed off - http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...ff-133461.html

Does this prove he wants to play?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Since then though there was the 12 month amnesty for players to switch that he didn't take up.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Since then though there was the 12 month amnesty for players to switch that he didn't take up.
    Touché

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    Hi Dr,

Are you sure about that? Would really love to find a link on that one. I think he wants to play unless someone can prove otherwise. Here is my proof BTW:

From rte.ie - Wednesday, 09 August 2006 2:13

Steve Staunton is still hoping that Kevin Nolan will don the green Irish jersey. Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton is hoping to cut through a mountain of red tape in a bid to lure Kevin Nolan into the fold.

Staunton and Bolton captain Nolan have discussed on several occasions the prospect of the midfielder pulling on the green of Ireland.

Staunton is eager to recruit a player of Nolan's calibre, yet there remain obstacles, even though he qualifies to play for the Republic via the grandparents' ruling.

Nolan has previously played for England at under-21 level, albeit in a friendly, and featured in a competitive game for the under-18s.

There is a precedent as Everton's Tim Cahill played for Samoa at youth level, yet now represents Australia after lodging a successful appeal with FIFA.

Staunton is not giving up just yet as he said: 'There's a lot of issues surrounding this one.

'Once we cut through the red tape then we will know where we are, and I cannot say much more than that.'

If we continue go on about Nolan BTW, can we change to here:

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=33877&page=22

Maybe a moderator can have it re-opened?

Also, just found these

Republic lose out on Nolan - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...an-663574.html

Nolan's final avenue to Ireland squad closed off - http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...ff-133461.html

Does this prove he wants to play?
    Not the ones I read a couple of years ago but gives some indication of where his heart lies (or lay).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_obj...name_page.html

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/887004.0/
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 08/06/2009 at 3:50 PM.

www.thefastleague.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I wonder is Kevin Davies "a good Catholic boy"...

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Kevin Nolan is crap, Keith Fahey is a better player than him, with way more style and Nolan shouldn't even figure in the squad.

I'm not big on nationalism, I'd never be one of these 'proud to be irish' people waving a green flag(for the record don't confuse that with not liking ireland), but it completely ruins the feeling of a team representing you if the players have not grown up or played football in the country, we have the bull**** situation here where many don't even play in our own national league, now this is just taking it too far.

Its not about 'foreign' but when it comes to international football as a fan you want to be able connect with players, its good players like Kilbane and McGeady or Tidim in the u-17's, but when you get a 26 year old being called up it makes the whole thing a joke.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Waddock was still playing in 1994 for Bristol Rovers. He retired in 1995/96
    Retired from International football, he was nowhere near the squad in 94.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Trap's comments on the rule change.
    "It's very important," said Trapattoni. "I know we have players in England who are already U-21 with the English team, but sure, we can look for these players in the future. But it depends on if they are willing to play for us. There are one, two, three players who can strengthen our team."
    Sound enough.
    Does anybody have anything to say about what most likely will be the reserved and selective policy towards the probable extra amount of players available to declare?
    In other words, see what is there first, see what has come through the ranks and plug a few gaps.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Of all the players mentioned Mark Noble has to be the most promising - Kevin Nolan four years ago maybe but he is struggling big time with injuries, Anton Ferdinand is brain dead, while Jamie O'Hara would probably be a good addition if he manages to climb off Danielle Llyod for a half an hour
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ballsac7 View Post
    Of all the players mentioned Mark Noble has to be the most promising - Kevin Nolan four years ago maybe but he is struggling big time with injuries, Anton Ferdinand is brain dead, while Jamie O'Hara would probably be a good addition if he manages to climb off Danielle Llyod for a half an hour
    It would p*ss of Robbie if he didnt have the best WAG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah it's true. I saw him there myself. He flew back to Bolton to have think about his future but decide against a move to Bohs as he knew he would take Kevin Hunt's place.

Kieron Richardson is another player in with a chance of a call-up. No wait, he's a Born Again Christain forget that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    id want the irish team for players who consider themselves irish...even doh killer has an english accent id say if someone who didnt know him asked him what nationality he is he would reply irish!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Seriously? Is that definately true? Bit of an eyebrow raiser if so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    From what I've seen of Nolan playing for Newcastle in his 6 months here (I'm a Toon fan), he would probably have more impact in a game if he just stood still. Would rather Andrews.
    You've got no fans.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I reckon we have zero chance of getting Noble. He'll be a key player in England's U21 campaign soon, one they might actually win.

I'm not too happy with the rule change. I think there's a bit more integrity about the team than in the past. I think FIFA should only have changed the rule for left backs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Any previous posts about the accent are pointless. The accent has nothing to do with it. Just read the latest YBIG magazine and you can see that. Its whether the person considers themselves Irish or not.
    In Trap we trust

Page 4 of 257 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast