Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 257 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    He's doing a lot of 'dilly-dallying' for someone who has 50% Irish blood. Pilkington claimed on 25% (his paternal grandmother) and was showing good form at a younger age than Noble is now.

It does appear like Noble's dream is to get an England call-up and he is really doing his utmost to fulfill Joey Barton's stereotype (i.e. not good enough for England, claim for Ireland).

He donned the England jersey on numerous occasions as a younger lad and even wore the captain's armband. An identity crisis appears to be facing him.

That talk of getting agents involved does make it sound like a business decision though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I obviously don't want him anywhere near the set up for myriad reasons that are obvious to decipher, so I won't add much to what I have already said.

Sam Allardyce has encouraged him to declare for Ireland because he will never get to play for England.

Personally, I think we are wasting our time with him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    [QUOTE=ArdeeBhoy;1775754]At this stage, it really doesn't make much difference. He could declare and then be permanently injured/in a huff like Gibson...
    Too many modern footballers are just up themselves and their words count for very little.[/QUOTE

how can gibson be name checked in a thread about utter merceneries like this noble ape. Gibson is born breed Irish and has played for us since under 19s. That kind of post is an embarrassment to any Irish supporter.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Should do donations for banner for wednesday night saying **** off noble you british ****

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Should do donations for banner for wednesday night saying **** off noble you british ****

please tell me ur joking.....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    At this stage, it really doesn't make much difference. He could declare and then be permanently injured/in a huff like Gibson...
    Too many modern footballers are just up themselves and their words count for very little.
    how can gibson be name checked in a thread about utter merceneries like this noble ape. Gibson is born breed Irish and has played for us since under 19s. That kind of post is an embarrassment to any Irish supporter.
    Besides the dubious spelling, not sure your analogy works.
    Gibson's hardly proved himself of much use to the international team since switching.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I don't think any central midfielder was allowed to prove his worth under Trap! Whelan was allowed to clock up caps despite not proving any worth. I think Gibson should have put up and shut up wrt Trap but part of me sympathises. I think a fit and sharp Gibson is a good player, a proper midfielder, someone who doesn't fear the ball and can use it well. Unfortunately his injury means he still has some way to go to reach his potential.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    The first three words of that banner would be sufficient.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Besides the dubious spelling, not sure your analogy works.
    Gibson's hardly proved himself of much use to the international team since switching.
    i couldnt care less how good any northern born lad or english/dutch/belgian/spanish/german/ born lad is as long as he wants to play for his country(ireland). if he turns out to be an excellent footballer who makes a good career like gibson great but if he struggles to make a pro career at a high level like ger crossley im still proud he did his best for his country

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    If that's Noble's attitude then the fck off should be directed to our management team, who (if it transpires) would be 99% responsible for his presence in the squad.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Here is the link to the video of Mark Noble talking today on Goals on Sunday. It's on page 3.
    http://www.sportinglife.com/video/23...gland-ambition
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

13. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Ah screw that, his interview pretty much says we're his second choice, hes barely being diplomatic about it. I have a feeling its a last "come and get me plea" for him to get into the England squad, would rather not have him in the squad... Although part of me would find it funny if he was put in the squad and given 2 mins against Georgia to cap-tie him and then never called up again.

15. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He's doing a lot of 'dilly-dallying' for someone who has 50% Irish blood. Pilkington claimed on 25% (his paternal grandmother) and was showing good form at a younger age than Noble is now.
    Sounds like Nazis aryan stuff - blood percentages were used to calculate whether someone was Jewish.

Personally, it has never bothered me someone's motives for declaring for us. All that matters to me is, does he strength the side? I don't know enough about him to make a judgement in this regard.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I have a feeling its a last "come and get me plea" for him to get into the England squad
    My thoughts exactly. He's probably hoping for a call from Woy to give him some sort of reassurance.
    It will be interesting to see if a CM pulls out of the England squad in the next few days who the replacement will be....

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Sounds like Nazisaryan stuff
    does he play for Armenia?

20. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    He just comes across in the interview as he views himself 100% english in the interview.

I not sure whether i find it funny or insulting the way he views potentially declaring for Ireland

Im all for appreciating improving the squad and its about winning games.........but including Noble in our squad when he has that attitude is just wrong in every way

If he would find it strange wearing the green as he says in the interview , then I cant see how his heart would be into wearing it.

His attitude really bothers me - O'Neill and Keane need to draw a line on this if and when they see that interview

Whatever bout winning games , they need to realise that the wearing the green jersey should be a players priority
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    At this stage, it really doesn't make much difference. He could declare and then be permanently injured/in a huff like Gibson...
    Too many modern footballers are just up themselves and their words count for very little.
    I think it's true of any walk of life; some people's word you can trust and others' word you can't. Footballers are people with human faults too, like anyone else, albeit with a bit more disposable cash in some instances. Anyway, I don't think it's fair on Gibson to compare him with the likes of Noble. For clarity, Gibson never formally switched from one association to another as he had never played for the IFA in a FIFA-recognised competitive fixture. He's always officially been an FAI player, as far as FIFA are concerned. To quantify what he's offered, he has, since 2004, played for Ireland at under-17 level and later captained us at both under-19 and under-21 levels. He has won 21 senior caps since 2007.

There were rumours he had a falling out with Trap after the Spain game at the Euros when Trap allegedly poked fun at some excess weight he was supposed to have been carrying in front of the rest of the squad. It seems, there was also another incident after the Italy game which might have left Gibson feeling upset or insulted, although I don't think we ever found out what its nature was.

He felt embarrassed and angry after not seeing game-time at the Euros; fearing Trap had a problem with him, he sought clarification from his manager, only to be dismissively told he was "young" before Trap walked off. Whatever about the rights and wrongs of it or who was primarily to blame for the falling out, it appears the working relationship between manager and player broke down completely. I thought Gibson's self-imposed exile was petulant and self-detrimental - the wrong option to take to deal with his problem - but I did sympathise with his sense of grievance.

I don't think he appreciated Trap advising him to leave United at the time either, although he did later acknowledge that joining Everton was beneficial for him and that Trap might have been right on that front after all. That showed a level of maturity at least.

Otherwise, he's been fully committed to playing for Ireland and even admitted he had "something to prove" when he was re-selected by Noel King after Trap left the managerial post. There's nothing he can do about being injured. I'm sure it's been very frustrating for him to have missed out for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Since when do you have to be a Unionist Skrewdriver fan with steel capped boots to call someone a "fenian c*nt" in a moment of passion? I have been called similar things in the heat of the moment and the people calling me that were politically ambivalent.

Edit: Not even saying I think Noble said what he's alleged to have said. Just saying I wouldn't be that surprised.
    Out of interest, under what circumstances were you called similar? I've not lived over here for as long as edmundo has, but in the four years I've been here, I don't think I've ever heard (in person, at least) an English person use the term "fenian" as an insult. Anti-Irish sentiment isn't all that fashionable in England any more. I did once have a rendition of the notorious 'Billy Boys' sung at me by a disgruntled and clearly mentally-unstable homeless drunk man slouched next to a cash machine begging when I had no change to give him and he didn't take too well to my pronunciation of Derry after he asked me where I was from, but he was from east Belfast originally and was being generally nasty and abusive/racist towards anyone and everyone in the ATM queue who had no spare change for him. Nobody had provoked him, but he was clearly very bitter about the hand that life had dealt him. He erupted into frothy sectarian verse as I departed and assured me that he hadn't wanted any of my "taig money" anyway whilst cartoonishly waving his fist at me.

I've had people do that silly "po-tay-to" pronunciation thing with me from time to time, but, although a bit irritating, it's generally done in the spirit of harmless jest, whilst I recall a passing boorish lad with a bit of drink in him referring to the Irish supporters of Dungiven boxer Paul McCloskey leaving the MEN Arena after his loss to Amir Khan a few years ago as "paddies, but other than those very isolated incidents, I can't say I've experienced any explicit anti-Irish prejudice over here. I can only really imagine a die-hard loyalist, a bitter Rangers fan or a BNP/EDL-type ever using "fenian" in a derogatory fashion in this day and age, unless it is that I've not been hanging around with the wrong sort of people enough...

I also find it hard to believe that Noble would collectively refer to a group of Irish supporters (including men, women and children) as "fenian b*stards", especially when two of his grandparents were "full Irish" themselves.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I think it's true of any walk of life; some people's word you can trust and others' word you can't. Footballers are people with human faults too, like anyone else, albeit with a bit more disposable cash in some instances. Anyway, I don't think it's fair on Gibson to compare him with the likes of Noble. For clarity, Gibson never formally switched from one association to another as he had never played for the IFA in a FIFA-recognised competitive fixture. He's always officially been an FAI player, as far as FIFA are concerned. To quantify what he's offered, he has, since 2004, played for Ireland at under-17 level and later captained us at both under-19 and under-21 levels. He has won 21 senior caps since 2007.

There were rumours he had a falling out with Trap after the Spain game at the Euros when Trap allegedly poked fun at some excess weight he was supposed to have been carrying in front of the rest of the squad. It seems, there was also another incident after the Italy game which might have left Gibson feeling upset or insulted, although I don't think we ever found out what its nature was.

He felt embarrassed and angry after not seeing game-time at the Euros; fearing Trap had a problem with him, he sought clarification from his manager, only to be dismissively told he was "young" before Trap walked off. Whatever about the rights and wrongs of it or who was primarily to blame for the falling out, it appears the working relationship between manager and player broke down completely. I thought Gibson's self-imposed exile was petulant and self-detrimental - the wrong option to take to deal with his problem - but I did sympathise with his sense of grievance.

I don't think he appreciated Trap advising him to leave United at the time either, although he did later acknowledge that joining Everton was beneficial for him and that Trap might have been right on that front after all. That showed a level of maturity at least.

Otherwise, he's been fully committed to playing for Ireland and even admitted he had "something to prove" when he was re-selected by Noel King after Trap left the managerial post. There's nothing he can do about being injured. I'm sure it's been very frustrating for him to have missed out for so long.

Out of interest, under what circumstances were you called similar? I've not lived over here for as long as edmundo has, but in the four years I've been here, I don't think I've ever heard (in person, at least) an English person use the term "fenian" as an insult. Anti-Irish sentiment isn't all that fashionable in England any more. I did once have a rendition of the notorious 'Billy Boys' sung at me by a disgruntled and clearly mentally-unstable homeless drunk man slouched next to a cash machine begging when I had no change to give him and he didn't take too well to my pronunciation of Derry after he asked me where I was from, but he was from east Belfast originally and was being generally nasty and abusive/racist towards anyone and everyone in the ATM queue who had no spare change for him. Nobody had provoked him, but he was clearly very bitter about the hand that life had dealt him. He erupted into frothy sectarian verse as I departed and assured me that he hadn't wanted any of my "taig money" anyway whilst cartoonishly waving his fist at me.

I've had people do that silly "po-tay-to" pronunciation thing with me from time to time, but, although a bit irritating, it's generally done in the spirit of harmless jest, whilst I recall a passing boorish lad with a bit of drink in him referring to the Irish supporters of Dungiven boxer Paul McCloskey leaving the MEN Arena after his loss to Amir Khan a few years ago as "paddies, but other than those very isolated incidents, I can't say I've experienced any explicit anti-Irish prejudice over here. I can only really imagine a die-hard loyalist, a bitter Rangers fan or a BNP/EDL-type ever using "fenian" in a derogatory fashion in this day and age, unless it is that I've not been hanging around with the wrong sort of people enough...

I also find it hard to believe that Noble would collectively refer to a group of Irish supporters (including men, women and children) as "fenian b*stards", especially when two of his grandparents were "full Irish" themselves.
    i've been in the uk ten years, 3 of them in scotland, and i've never heard anyone use the word fenian except at a celtic match.

i doubt londoners known what a fenian is/means. i barely know what it means. that said i wouldn't be in the least surprised if noble had said 'fackin b***rds' and it was misheard. he was only 20 odd at the time after all.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Seen that word on a lot of forums/social media but wouldn't bother me unduly, even if used in a negative sense...
    Usually used in an anti-Irish perspective, which usually means our very existence still 'gets' to certain people!

As for Noble, if it helps, the Hammers I met reckon he should play for us, especially if overlooked by 'Inger-land'!
    Their attitude is he's good enough to play international football, though they don't seem to care for who especially...more than he should be on a 'bigger' stage...

And acknowledge DI's impassioned defence of Gibson, personally feel he's got far more to prove for Ireland than Noble IMO.
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 31/08/2014 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post

O'Neill and Keane need to draw a line on this if and when they see that interview
    Doubt it, according to the Irish Mirror Steve Walford was sent to watch Noble v Southampton.
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...-still-4138608

Don't see Noble playing for England either. I'm sure England squad absentees Barkley, Lallana, Cleverley, Huddlestone, Livermore, Rodwell, Shelvey, Ward Prowse etc. are ahead of him in the queue
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 01/09/2014 at 12:00 AM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo