Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 38 of 257 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    http://anditscomethroughhere.blogspo...ur-granny.html

Here are my two cents, in blog form. As always, any feedback, comments or critique would be welcomed.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I have seen some shocking stuff said about James McClean, John O'Shea and Seamus Coleman on English football forums that no-one bats an eyelid too.

For some reason, I can't envision Carlos Cuellar being called a dago or Emmanuele Giaccherini being called a wop but call the Irish whatever you like and it will just be excused as banter.
    Excused by whom? Other mindless racist minority idiots on the internet?

What have you seen and where?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post

Here are my two cents, in blog form. As always, any feedback, comments or critique would be welcomed.
    second-last paragraph rings true. A bit harsh on Meyler.

As for the doldrums, I think we can turn a corner pretty quickly if things fall the right way, and without Mark Noble. The darkest hour is before the dawn.

Compete in midfield, avoid careless giveaways at the back, take chances. It's not that big an ask.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I didn't say I think it happened. I said I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I don't understand what would motivate someone to post something like that if there wasn't an element of truth in it.

More than one person is bound to have heard it if it did happen. Someone should post something about it on a Cork City forum.
    I'd be surprised if it did happen. It's only the type of thing a chippy loyalist nut job would have said. I don't know much about Noble but I haven't heard anything about him that suggests he's a politically aware anti-nationalist. I also suspect that if true this would have come to light before now. It may have preceded the twitter era but other forms of social media existed back then.

I'd prefer we didn't pursue him but I still instinctively think that story lacks credibility. I've seen the poisonous squaddy claptrap aimed at McClean on Twitter, but again, I'd be surprised if that was Noble's mindset. I can't imagine the Troubles or anything related ever bothered him much either way. It's not like he was Ian Durrant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    second-last paragraph rings true. A bit harsh on Meyler.

As for the doldrums, I think we can turn a corner pretty quickly if things fall the right way, and without Mark Noble. The darkest hour is before the dawn.

Compete in midfield, avoid careless giveaways at the back, take chances. It's not that big an ask.
    Thanks for the feedback Stutts. I hope your optimism is founded, and I hope Meyler proves me wrong. He has impressed me at times - especially in the Italy game - but I've seen him play very poorly too, and I wouldn't say he's a natural ball-player like Hendrick is. I see him as being a slightly more abrasive version of Keith Andrews.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I think it's harsh to describe Meyler as a kicker. He looks content to just be involved rather than to make things happen. You can argue that after his injuries he's still feeling his way into things but at some point very soon I want to see more from him. I can level the same criticism at McCarthy and Gibson. At the early stage of their careers they felt it was best not to look bad rather than to look particularly good, even though both had the talent to do more. O'Neill said as much about McCarthy last week.

I don't know whether Meyler has it. He's what I call an "adhesive" rather than an "accretive" player. I think Hendrick has more to offer and has more latent capacity, if you know what I mean.

8. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think Meyler is a more cultured player than he gets credit for, and his athleticism means he's the type of player who can make things happen when the pace is slow, as it frequently is with Ireland. I noticed Fletcher displaying much the same quality for United last week - by no means the player you'd base a team around, but a guy who will pick up the slack where other people aren't pulling their weight.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Linked it on Facebook for you so should get a few more hits.

As for Meyler, more bad than good, my Mackem pals weren't overly impressed. Noble a marginal improvement IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I'd say we haven't had an 'accretive' central midfielder since Steven Reid - someone who demands the ball and positively directs the play, taking command of the midfield area. Andy Reid showed that same ability against Germany in 2007, I'd love to see him start against Georgia alongside McCarthy in the deep-lying midfield role - he's looking remarkably fit these days.

It is time for the lads - McCarthy, Gibson and Meyler - to really kick on. If we start with one up front, Hoolahan in the hole, and full-backs given licence to get forward, they have no excuse to play within themselves.

If, in the case of his eventual availability, Noble doesn't take responsibility straight away and boss the midfield, he should be immediately hooked and forever discarded!

And thanks AB. Much appreciated.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    The Cork story is a blatant obvious crock of dung, that's why it's funny, that sort of thing passes for humour in Cork, at least it raised a smile on me.
    I've never seen Noble play in a game, therefore I haven't got a clue about his style or ability or have a notion about his attitude to Ireland.
    When a mature Paul Green came in for those friendlies, I was immediately very impressed with his attitude and character. He (questions of football ability aside) was a credit to the team.Whether he had a 5% or 25% or 30% or 50% bloodline to his irishness was irrelevant.. I'll keep an open mind on Noble, we should trust the manager in these matters until we see/hear the player for ourselves.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    TOWK, I really don't understand your opinions, So far on here, you have claimed Noble and West Ham are crap, that Stephen Quinn is as good as Noble, while you are not happy with Duffy's supposed move to Blackburn. You seem to put many Irish [players on pedestals, and anyone who doesn't meet your limited and myopic view of nationality is to be dismissed. The facts are Noble is an experienced, quality player who was the club's best player last season. Quinn is a good player, but really has not shown enough consistency over the years to be deemed comparable to Noble. Hopefully, he can continue to improve and in time take Noble's place in an Irish squad. On Duffy why are you underwhelmed? He has had limited experience, is potentially a great player, but is not as good as Stone at the moment who has a lot more experience than Duffy. These are realities and running down Noble while talking up both Quinn and Duffy lacks objectivity and is incorrect. While I do feel a bit uneasy about the likes of Noble declaring, if it means we qualify for a Euro or WC, I really can overcome these feelings quite easily! I will repeat what I said earlier in the thread, how many of you watched Algeria and scoffed at all their French born players? As an Irish fan I love watching underdogs play well and hopefully we can soon emulate their success.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair, I think a fully fit Quinn is better than Noble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts
    Penn State is the underdog in Dubs Gastric. You can root for them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

A very well -written and objective article which I think would reflect the views of the majority of posters on here. However, I think McGoldrick would be an asset now. I really believe he can compliment Long well in attack as he is quick, hardworking and determined, the type of player I love to watch!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

Good stuff, although I'll nit-pick if you insist.

Such an inclusive strategy should ensure that every player is aware that they are in the manager's thoughts. There will be no crude alienation of talent - a welcome contrast from the previous regime.
    Not a major issue really, but didn't Trap name extended provisional squads too before whittling them down?

Even in the modern day, it is naive to think that the likes of McCarthy, McGeady, Pilkington and Westwood would have declared for Ireland had they been approached first by their native associations.
    I sense there to be an insinuation there with which I don't quite agree. McCarthy and McGeady have always identified very strongly with a sense of Irishness. Growing up, their families were steeped in Irish culture. Whilst McCarthy did say he might have represented Scotland had they been quicker to him, that's not to say we were a back-up plan because no offer was forthcoming. We were at least an equal option, if not a preferred one, rather than a possible secondary one, as might be the case with England-born players with Irish grandparent(s). Likewise, there's no reason to assume McGeady would have preferred to have played for Scotland either. I recall seeing home video footage of him kicking a ball around as a wee bairn in an Ireland jersey and if he'd have preferred to have played for Scotland he could always have chosen to switch. They'd have been delighted to have him. Scotland would also have been delighted to have McCarthy had he been willing to switch.

However, I think we all want to see this new Irish team, under O'Neill, not just getting results, but playing with a character that Irish fans and public can get behind and identify with - a team of players who truly value playing football for their country. We want to see a team that plays with the kind of intensity, pace and aggression that we saw from O'Neill's Celtic team in the big European nights.
    You can say that again!

However, I think we all want to see this new Irish team, under O'Neill, not just getting results, but playing with a character that Irish fans and public can get behind and identify with - a team of players who truly value playing football for their country. We want to see a team that plays with the kind of intensity, pace and aggression that we saw from O'Neill's Celtic team in the big European nights.
    Thanks.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Niall or Micky?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Agreed, or at least not worth discarding for the sake of an opportunistic latecomer. Quinn has been a bright spot for Irish fans so far this season. One of quite a few I think. I've been pretty happy with how our key players have begun the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    TOWK, I really don't understand your opinions, So far on here, you have claimed Noble and West Ham are crap, that Stephen Quinn is as good as Noble, while you are not happy with Duffy's supposed move to Blackburn. You seem to put many Irish [players on pedestals, and anyone who doesn't meet your limited and myopic view of nationality is to be dismissed. The facts are Noble is an experienced, quality player who was the club's best player last season. Quinn is a good player, but really has not shown enough consistency over the years to be deemed comparable to Noble. Hopefully, he can continue to improve and in time take Noble's place in an Irish squad. On Duffy why are you underwhelmed? He has had limited experience, is potentially a great player, but is not as good as Stone at the moment who has a lot more experience than Duffy. These are realities and running down Noble while talking up both Quinn and Duffy lacks objectivity and is incorrect. While I do feel a bit uneasy about the likes of Noble declaring, if it means we qualify for a Euro or WC, I really can overcome these feelings quite easily! I will repeat what I said earlier in the thread, how many of you watched Algeria and scoffed at all their French born players? As an Irish fan I love watching underdogs play well and hopefully we can soon emulate their success.
    I didn't say West Ham were "crap". You are deliberately twisting my words. I said they are one of the worst footballing sides in the Premier League.
    Stephen Quinn is a better player than Mark Noble. Perhaps you should have more faith in our own players rather than expecting mediocre English players to change our fortunes?
    I didn't say anything about Shane Duffy's move to Blackburn?! I think you have me confused with someone else.
    Mark Noble doesn't feel Irish and doesn't want to play for Ireland and if he does declare it is for all the wrong reasons. No need to overanalyse it.

You honestly think Mark Noble will make a difference to us qualifying that McCarthy/Gibson/Hendrick/Quinn/Hoolahan/Reid won't? I heard the same things about Paul Green.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Since when do you have to be a Unionist Skrewdriver fan with steel capped boots to call someone a "fenian c*nt" in a moment of passion? I have been called similar things in the heat of the moment and the people calling me that were politically ambivalent.

Edit: Not even saying I think Noble said what he's alleged to have said. Just saying I wouldn't be that surprised.

I'm sure if someone said he seen Frank Lampard and Eidur Gudjohnsen mocking American tourists after 9/11, people would belittle him too.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 30/08/2014 at 2:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Scored today. Playing well by all accounts.