426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    That's not correct anyway
    Anyone born in the rep of Ireland is automatically a citizen
    The 'Michael McDowell referendum "
    Stopped their parents getting automatic citenzship
    No they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    According to Kenny, Dennis Cirkin considering switching. Ireland investigating if he’s eligible.

All the talk has surrounded the third gen people who aren’t on the foreign births register but presumably due to the Michael McDowell referendum where the right to citizenship at birth was removed, we’re in a situation where players born in Ireland aren’t necessarily eligible for Ireland.

Seems totally insane that he wouldn’t be eligible
    Cirkin was born before the referendum so is eligible.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I don't get you? are you saying if you are born here you don't get citizenship

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    According to Kenny, Dennis Cirkin considering switching. Ireland investigating if he’s eligible.

All the talk has surrounded the third gen people who aren’t on the foreign births register but presumably due to the Michael McDowell referendum where the right to citizenship at birth was removed, we’re in a situation where players born in Ireland aren’t necessarily eligible for Ireland.

Seems totally insane that he wouldn’t be eligible
    Here's the SK quote FWIW

“I know all about Dennis,” revealed the boss. “He declared for England, so we’ll have to see on that one.

“He’s just focussing on Sunderland this season. I’ve asked that question and I’m not even 100% sure. It’s yet to be confirmed that he can switch and he hasn’t applied to do so.”

Needs to love the Eire a few % more than he does there I'd say Bill .....
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    No they're not.

Cirkin was born before the referendum so is eligible.

Btw if your right, that's absolutely outrageous and I'm with you 100%

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    I don't get you? are you saying if you are born here you don't get citizenship
    Anyone born on or after the 1st of January 2005 receive Irish citizenship at birth if at least one of their parents is an Irish citizen or entitled to be one, a British citizen, a resident with no time limit of stay in either the Republic or Northern Ireland, or a resident who has been domiciled on the island of Ireland for at least three of the preceding four years.

So yes, anyone born here are not automatically entitled to Irish citizenship. If Michael Obafemi was born five years later very well likely wouldn't have been entitled to citizenship unless his one of his parents had gained British citizenship.
    Last edited by JR89; 02/06/2023 at 2:49 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    That's not correct anyway
    Anyone born in the rep of Ireland is automatically a citizen
    The 'Michael McDowell referendum "
    Stopped their parents getting automatic citenzship
    you're 100% wrong about this - in fact parents never got automatic citizenship, they were granted the right to reside as guardians of an irish citizen. that right was removed with legislation that was brought in about a year or two prior to the referendum. that was insane as well - deporting the mother of an irish citizen as soon as they're born, and by proxy, denying an irish citizen the right to live in the country to which they were citizens.

The referendum that McDowell brought in meant that only children born in Ireland who's parent(s) were Irish were automatically granted citizenship.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I struggle to understand how citizenship works sometimes. My wife for example could have gotten citizenship through residency for living in Ireland for over 10 years before we got married, and then could have gotten it through marriage with me... but now we live abroad she cant get it. Kinda doesnt make sense to me that a footballer who has never been to Ireland and just has a grandparent in the past can get it.

In Cirkins case, Id imagine the issue might be if he had changed his nationality with FIFA in the past can he change it back again?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    you're 100% wrong about this - in fact parents never got automatic citizenship, they were granted the right to reside as guardians of an irish citizen. that right was removed with legislation that was brought in about a year or two prior to the referendum. that was insane as well - deporting the mother of an irish citizen as soon as they're born, and by proxy, denying an irish citizen the right to live in the country to which they were citizens.

The referendum that McDowell brought in meant that only children born in Ireland who's parent(s) were Irish were automatically granted citizenship.
    I responded to the wrong post on this before. It's absolutely outrageous that someone born in Ireland doesn't have automatic citenzship. I can't believe this was voted in.

Half our best Players are of Nigerian stock!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    In fairness, there's more to life than football. It was entirely right to stop what was happening at the time (albeit now I think responsibility for that has been devolved to the airlines, who aren't supposed to let anyone on a flight without the required visa or passport for the destination)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I hope I'm wrong but that law looks to be solely designed for African people.?

The cheek of us after 100s of year of us settling in other countries.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts

A dark stain on our history as a nation unfortunately, mcdowell and his party somehow survived for a few more years after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts

It was designed for anyone who was hopping on a plane nine months pregnant to use that to scam their way into another country. So no, it wasn't designed solely for Africans. It may have been Africans who were the primary scammers, but that's their fault.

In a climate emergency, I don't see how you can defend someone hopping on a plane to fly thousands of miles (about the worst thing a person can do for the environment) just to have a baby somewhere else.

Not to mention the drain we're putting on developing economies by encouraging people to up sticks and leave. Or the risks the mother was taking (to the child as well as to herself) by undergoing a journey of that nature while so heavily pregnant. Or the pressure it was putting on our hospitals having up to 29% of births come in this way

"Dark stain on our history" is a rather ignorant way of looking at it.

I don't think other countries have a similar law - but largely because, as I say, nowadays the airlines wouldn't let these people on the plane in the first place. (Edit - actually, Wikipedia says we were the last European country to have birth granting citizenship, which explains why we were targeted. It seems we just brought our laws in line with that referendum. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 03/06/2023 at 7:55 AM.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    At least we got a few decent footballers out of it before the door closed - and maybe a couple of sprinters, who knows!

In reality I think it was a loophole that needed to be closed, holding a different position to every other country in Europe was causing problems. I think it only existed the way it did before that to ensure that anyone born in the north had no issues being an Irish citizen, but the GFA fully confirmed that anyway so the reasons for changing outweighed the reasons for leaving it as it was.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    I've seen discussions on that referendum, and any potential future changes to it, take a nasty turn on other forums, to let's keep it to any relevance to football, without speculation about why it passed, what it means about who pushed it through, voted for or against, etc
    If you do want to discuss the referendum itself, please use the current affairs forum

<EDIT>

Posts following this were moved to the current affairs forum
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 03/06/2023 at 11:17 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Tyler Goodrham, a 20 year old winger at Oxford, who was their youngest player when he made his debut, has confirmed he's obtained his Irish passport, qualifying through his paternal grandmother
    https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/2...h-citizenship/
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 30/08/2023 at 2:07 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Aldridge and Houghton worked out pretty well for us ~ No pressure young fella.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    The EFL highlights show the other night picked him out, said there was Championship interest in him this window.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Three goals in five games already this season; not bad for a midfielder/winger. Matches his league tally for the previous two seasons - 3 in 36 for Oxford and 3 in 17 for Slough. Looks like one of the more interesting players in this category I think. Certainly moving in the right direction.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    If Festy moves to the seniors then there's definitely an opportunity there alright for someone to come in at RW. No one else is really standing out at club level for that spot and we've got San Marino at home in one of the games so perfect opposition if you were to give someone their debut.

For the home game against Turkey I wouldn't be surprised if he reverts back to playing three CBs.