Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't really agree with this -

I mean, first off, there's no uproar and no-one's upset; I'm not sure where that came from.

So yeah, let's see how he does - but it's a discussion forum. Let's talk about the guy rather than the dismissive "Why don't we see".

My initial reaction was to be a bit underwhelmed tbh. I know Poor Student is quite knowledgeably about Celtic and his post wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Johnston is 24 next month, playing at a non-top-three side in Portugal (Pádraig Amond did that too, albeit he never started a league game) and despite being in the Scotland underage setup he's not been called up for the senior side so far as I'm aware. Are we tapping up Scotland cast-offs? That's not great.

The last player who "signed" was I think CJ Hamilton last year. That hasn't really gone anywhere. I just wonder are we we throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks? Is our scouting all that effective? Or maybe this is all we can get. I don't know of course.

And obviously I'm not about to boo him if comes off the bench or anything like that.
    Apples and oranges bringing Hamilton into this. For one, he spent plenty of his youth in Ireland. For another, he has never featured for England. And there is chance that he always harboured the Ireland ambition - it was his run up the leagues to, eventually, the Championship that got him the attention for a call up. Would look at him more like Daryl Horgan than Mikey Johnston.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Well that's true - I suppose that comparison Congress from him being a player we approached and still had to get paperwork done up before he could play for us. Sounds like he never had an Irish passport (I'm assuming this based on never having played underage for anyone and so never having declared for anyone - so the passport is the only paperwork change I can see)

Broadly agree with the other two posts too. "Meh" is a good summary and I agree it's "Hard to argue he deserves a call up and cap already." Certainly the days of finding a Houghton or an Aldridge are gone; the underage setup is too thorough for that now.

I do wonder if a place in the squad would be better given to one of the more promising 21s. If there is anyone suitable who isn't in the seniors already.

But certainly let's get his thread started and see how it goes! He's on the bench away to Santa Clara at the moment

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Liam Delap called up to the England U-20 squad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    The England Under 21s attack doesn't actually look that stacked for the next campaign so he'll probably stay there I'd imagine. He's had a really poor season at club level, rarely gets off the bench for Preston these days. A lot of flaws in his game have been exposed in senior football. He has it all to do to make it at a decent level I think.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Delap and Mipo are prime cases to why we should stop getting carried away with whether young players want to play for us or not.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    CJ Egan Riley is someone we should approach given the options we've got for the upcoming U21s. Would also cover RB and DM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Fully agree, he'd be a very good addition and would cover a couple of positions where we could use some extra depth. Seems to be off the English radar a bit these days also, playing in Scotland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Delap and Mipo are prime cases to why we should stop getting carried away with whether young players want to play for us or not.
    People are always too worked up about good teenaged players, but it's a numbers game. England having figured out to be much more profession in that regard has put pressure on a traditional source of players for us. It's on the FAI to be equally on top of things to maximize our odds with dual eligible players. Maybe they are; I can't say I have any feeling for how good or bad we are at that these days.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It's on the FAI to be equally on top of things to maximize our odds with dual eligible players. Maybe they are; I can't say I have any feeling for how good or bad we are at that these days.
    Probably about as good or as active as we've always been but aren't as attractive an option or as easy to sell with the decline we've suffered in the last ten / fifteen years. I'd say Martin O'Neill was worse than useless on that front in his time too, don't think he saw it as anything to do with him.

If things pick up, we will probably see marginals go more our way again, or sudden expressions of interest, but then do we want those types ?

Brooks in the 21s is interesting, his club are involved in a title race & he has been preferred to a Norwich City loanee in goals for the last few games, which at 19 is impressive even though its National League level. He was brought to St Georges Park by the English FA for one of their gatherings too, but has stayed with us.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Ireland eligible Omari Kellyman is switching from NI to England.

Presumably this makes him ineligible for us going forward

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    If he plays for England that will make him ineligible for any country other than England. I always think switching to England at a young age like that is a stupid move though. Realistically, what are the odds that this lad will end up being good enough to play for England - 1 in 100 maybe? So why tie yourself to one team at this stage? The smart play would be to stay in the NI youth setup for now, or just not take the NI caps to start with.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    If he plays for England that will make him ineligible for any country other than England. I always think switching to England at a young age like that is a stupid move though. Realistically, what are the odds that this lad will end up being good enough to play for England - 1 in 100 maybe? So why tie yourself to one team at this stage? The smart play would be to stay in the NI youth setup for now, or just not take the NI caps to start with.
    Maybe he just has no interest in playing for NI? So he would rather take the England underage caps and the 1 in 100 chance of a senior England cap? Fair enough he could have not taken them to start with but we have seen that before with lads going in there then realizing they would rather the chance of Ireland caps.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Probably about as good or as active as we've always been but aren't as attractive an option or as easy to sell with the decline we've suffered in the last ten / fifteen years. I'd say Martin O'Neill was worse than useless on that front in his time too, don't think he saw it as anything to do with him.

If things pick up, we will probably see marginals go more our way again, or sudden expressions of interest, but then do we want those types ?

Brooks in the 21s is interesting, his club are involved in a title race & he has been preferred to a Norwich City loanee in goals for the last few games, which at 19 is impressive even though its National League level. He was brought to St Georges Park by the English FA for one of their gatherings too, but has stayed with us.
    Big difference between being called up to train at St George's and getting an actual under 20 or 21 call up for Brooks. Definitely their under 21 goalkeepers are all well ahead of Brooks and his National League caps with Championship and League One experience aplenty between their four picks.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Maybe he just has no interest in playing for NI? So he would rather take the England underage caps and the 1 in 100 chance of a senior England cap? Fair enough he could have not taken them to start with but we have seen that before with lads going in there then realizing they would rather the chance of Ireland caps.

That's absolutely fine, but then why take multiple NI underage caps in that case? You're just reducing your options. Incidentally I'd say the same about Darragh Burns, who now can't play for the north and probably won't be good enough for us. Probably should have kept the NI card in his pocket for a few years to see how his career went.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    im positive about Delap, he must declare for IRELAND, from what i saw, the kid is very good, and the game is up to opportunities, Brighton is a club who cares about young talent, and a good scouting, man city is a merchant machine will sell youngsters for fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    im positive about Delap, he must declare for IRELAND, from what i saw, the kid is very good, and the game is up to opportunities, Brighton is a club who cares about young talent, and a good scouting, man city is a merchant machine will sell youngsters for fun
    this is delusional
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    this is delusional
    Theres a reason hes on a suspension

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    According to football365, the FAI and Scotland have spoken to Anthony Gordon about changing his international allegiance
    https://www.football365.com/news/eng...enal-southgate
    Anthony Gordon (Newcastle)
    Scotland and the Republic of Ireland are thought to be sniffing around 27-cap England youth international Gordon, who might prefer to focus on Newcastle after a difficult first couple of months as a £45m forward.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Couldn't see Gordon switching. Has the U21s Euro this summer and could well get caps for the England senior team. No doubting the kids got some talent but he's a very unlikable player and not in a good way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    According to football365, the FAI and Scotland have spoken to Anthony Gordon about changing his international allegiance
    https://www.football365.com/news/eng...enal-southgate
    Anything from that website might as well come from The Sun or the Mirror.