Page 237 of 257 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,740 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    That rule still exists. It didn't apply to Johansson because his Luxembourg caps were before his 21st birthday.

Clarke-Salter was capped for England Under 21 after his 21st birthday, but he gets off on a technicality. Following pressure from a player/association (can't remember which one, it might have been a player that wanted to play for Morocco but had underage caps for Spain), that rule was amended so that it only applies to underage caps obtained after September 2020, when the new rules came in.

The justification was that it would be unfair to penalise someone who took underage caps before that date, obviously not knowing that the rules were going to change.

So, in Clarke Salter's case he was capped for England Under 21 after his 21st birthday, but that was in 2019. So he should be fine to switch as long as he has a grandparent born in Ireland. But if someone younger tried to do the same thing and won those England caps after September 2020, they'd be ineligible.

Edit - the test case player was Munir El-Haddadi.

https://wap.business-standard.com/ar...0501668_1.html
    Last edited by Eirambler; 29/06/2022 at 9:17 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    That rule still exists. It didn't apply to Johansson because his Luxembourg caps were before his 21st birthday.

Clarke-Salter was capped for England Under 21 after his 21st birthday, but he gets off on a technicality. Following pressure from a player/association (can't remember which one, it might have been a player that wanted to play for Morocco but had underage caps for Spain), that rule was amended so that it only applies to underage caps obtained after September 2020, when the new rules came in.

The justification was that it would be unfair to penalise someone who took underage caps before that date, obviously not knowing that the rules were going to change.

So, in Clarke Salter's case he was capped for England Under 21 after his 21st birthday, but that was in 2019. So he should be fine to switch as long as he has a grandparent born in Ireland. But if someone younger tried to do the same thing and won those England caps after September 2020, they'd be ineligible.

Edit - the test case player was Munir El-Haddadi.

https://wap.business-standard.com/ar...0501668_1.html
    Was looking at England 19s who are in the euro final . Delap not involved much . I wonder if he might come on board for the 21 s ? Louie barry didn't make the squad. Egan riley not on the squad either and looks like he is due to sign for Burnley on a permanent deal. All 3 woukd be nice 21s additions

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Barry and Egan-Riley should definitely be considering Ireland at this point. They don't seem to be making any real impact in the English underage system. Delap would be great to get but he's there or thereabouts with that England Under 19 team, battling it out with Dane Scarlett for the starting spot up front. I expect he'll graduate to the England Under 21s and play with them in the next campaign. But yes, the other two should really be getting in touch with Jim Goodwin before the next Under 21 campaign starts - or maybe he should be getting in touch with them.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Barry and Egan-Riley should definitely be considering Ireland at this point. They don't seem to be making any real impact in the English underage system. Delap would be great to get but he's there or thereabouts with that England Under 19 team, battling it out with Dane Scarlett for the starting spot up front. I expect he'll graduate to the England Under 21s and play with them in the next campaign. But yes, the other two should really be getting in touch with Jim Goodwin before the next Under 21 campaign starts - or maybe he should be getting in touch with them.
    Barry has always talked about the close bond he had with his grandfather and how proud he was that his grandfather got the chance to watch him play for Ireland before he died and how he was open to playing for ireland or england one day, wasn't sure what the future would hold... definitely someone i'd be chasing if i was Jim Crawford

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    England getting absolutely slaughtered by Israel in first half in the final but its only one nil so all set up for delap ro come off the bench to win it for rgem

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    England getting home in the end, sounds like Delap has had a big impact since coming on and set up their third goal which has sealed the win.

Good effort from Israel though after knocking out France as well, we're probably going to see a few of those lads in the Under 21 playoffs unfortunately, now that their Under 19 year has finished.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/rea....php?nid=44016

Dude I’d never heard of before, born in 2003, previously played for Glenmuir and Palace. Think he’s probably getting a little ahead of himself. Purely judging by the level he’s playing at, I’d imagine he’d be behind a lot of players for our next 21s group… and Nigeria would probably have more options to choose from than us
    Last edited by elatedscum; 04/07/2022 at 5:09 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I saw from Tets' Irish Abroad Twitter feed that a 21 year old player called Sean Robertson made his debut in League 1 for Forest Green at the weekend. He is listed as English/Irish on Transfermarkt but as Northern Irish on Soccerbase and ESPN.

Looks like he has come from the Crystal Palace youth setup and impressed on trial at Derby during the summer but chose Forest Green instead to improve his chances of playing first team football.

Anyone know the story with him, obviously he'd be a bit away from Under 21 selection even, but is he actually an Irish/Irish eligible player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'm not actually sure myself, but he's listed as Irish on a few sites, and English on others, and as you say, transfermarkt list him as both.
    Don't think he's ever been called up to an Irish squad.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    He's listed as both in Football Manager for whatever that's worth. Won a bunch of senior caps in my 2020 game. 🙂

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Came across this guy. i think he’s related to an american girl I know. Suppose you could argue it’s a similar level to what our 21s keepers (Maher, McNicholas and Odumosu) are playing…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Rando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Interesting one - Joshua O'Brien was on the bench for Salford City tonight.
    born in Ireland, but moved to the US at only a few weeks old, Was with Watford, but got released in May and signed a contract with Salford in July.
    Comes from a big family, and all of them seem to be in the US development system
    Article about him on theathletic here: https://theathletic.com/2747158/2021...ng-a-pro-deal/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Bumped into someone involved in underage football in the FAI about a year ago who spoke highly of both him and Pearse O’Brien who plays in America (no relation). Was slightly surprised that neither have been involved at all recently. Pearse would be an u19 this season and Josh would have been last season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Josh was in a training camp a year ago - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u19-...ing-camp-in-uk - but didn't make it to the squad for the friendlies against Sweden or the qualifiers a few weeks later

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    What about that O'Brien fella for forest? Anyone mentioned him before? He's a midfielder too
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I looked into that a couple months ago and couldn’t find anything even remotely connecting him to Ireland - except a few posts on this thread a couple years ago!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Saw this yesterday, another one that has been mentioned on here before I’m sure. Jack McGlynn out of the MLS has been the subject of a formal approach to switch allegiances.

https://punditarena.com/football/ron...-american/?amp

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Somebody from the FaI needs to get on the phone to O’Brien - looking like a real prospect for Forrest against West Ham this afternoon

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Well he has to qualify? Anyone know?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Well he's 23 and has never played international football at any age group despite playing a number of seasons of first team football in the EFL. So, if he was Irish eligible, you'd imagine we'd have heard about it by now.

There will be tens of thousands of people in the midlands and north of England with Irish sounding surnames who aren't Irish eligible, the link in some cases will be many generations back.

23. Thanks From: