Results 4,081 to 4,100 of 5126

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He has 12 under 21 caps in the past year or two playing in a front three under Kenny. That counts for something.
    That's true

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    If you think that, across the two games, Idah, Connolly, O'Dowda, McGoldrick, Long, and Robinson all got gametime up front, and as I said Maguire didn't see a minute, why was Obafemi not considered?
    I'd have him ahead of O'Dowda and Maguire, and he had started ahead of Long for Southampton after the restart.
    The "I didn't call him because he wasn't capped under McCarthy is a cop out too - we don't have enough premier league players that we have the luxury of ignoring one on a whim.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If you think that, across the two games, Idah, Connolly, O'Dowda, McGoldrick, Long, and Robinson all got gametime up front, and as I said Maguire didn't see a minute, why was Obafemi not considered?
    I'd have him ahead of O'Dowda and Maguire, and he had started ahead of Long for Southampton after the restart.
    The "I didn't call him because he wasn't capped under McCarthy is a cop out too - we don't have enough premier league players that we have the luxury of ignoring one on a whim.
    Kenny's attitude with Obafemi was bordering on the ridiculous. He had Parrott and Idah in the squad who had far less game time over the course of the season (Parrott barely got on the pitch). He then called Maguire up, a 26 year old who is miles off International standard at the moment.

His excuse that Obafemi had never played as a lone striker alone up front and that was the reason for not calling him up was also nonsense. Parrot had never played that role at any meaningful level either whilst Idah had very few minutes in that role as he was mainly brought on when Norwich were chasing the game and they often had Pukki or Drmic on the pitch.

Surely the training camp was an opportunity to start bedding these players into these unfamiliar roles. Duffy clearly has never learned to distribute the ball from the back at his club either so should he have been excluded from the squad also?

Anyway it backfired in a big way in my opinion. His attack over both games was toothless and if Kenny seriously believes that replacing O'Dowda with Obafemi in the second half against Bulgaria or in the starting lineup against Finland would have made it any worse then I worry for the next few years.
    Last edited by youngirish; 19/09/2020 at 9:07 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    @tets, I'm not sure. All 6 of the players you reference are able to fill defined roles in Kenny's system. Maguire plays wide quite a lot for Preston too.

I would have called him up myself. But I'm not the manager. I'm leaning towards giving Kenny the benefit of the doubt but I definitely see merit in your points ,tets

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Kenny's attitude with Obafemi was bordering on the ridiculous. He had Parrott and Idah in the squad who had far less game time over the course of the season (Parrott barely got on the pitch). He then called Maguire up, a 26 year old who is miles off International standard at the moment.

His excuse that Obafemi had never played as a lone striker alone up front and that was the reason for not calling him up was also nonsense. Parrot had never played that role at any meaningful level either whilst Idah had very few minutes in that role as he was mainly brought on when Norwich were chasing the game and they often had Pukki or Drmic on the pitch.

Surely the training camp was an opportunity to start bedding these players into these unfamiliar roles. Duffy clearly has never learned to distribute the ball from the back at his club either so should he have been excluded from the squad also?

Anyway it backfired in a big way in my opinion. His attack over both games was toothless and if Kenny seriously believes that replacing O'Dowda with Obafemi in the second half against Bulgaria or in the starting lineup against Finland would have made it any worse then I worry for the next few years.
    If obafemi had come on with mcgoldrick we surely would have had a better chance of drawing the game v Finland

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Bamford is having a good game. Watchin' it on espn+ Argentina. He is a bright player, has football brain, but as fast as a snail. Very intelligent though, for that position, he has good movements, attacks the empty spaces cleverly, but doesnt have a bit of pace to make him better. For me is very similar to Hogan and Collins but playing under Bielsa in an attacking team makes Patrick a better footballer

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    An Anthony Driscoll-Glennon features on the bench for Burnley.

A quick google tells me he's a left-back from Bootle.
    I wonder if he qualifies.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I see Cj Hamilton bagged both goals for Blackpool in a 2-0 win against Swindon yesterday.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Liam Delap is on the bench for City tonight against Wolves. Turned 17 in February.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Theres a few Man City youth players on the bench today which is good to see. Hopefully Joe Hodge has a route to 1st team there if he continues how he is going. There is a Thomas Doyle on the bench today, is there any Irish Connection there?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Theres a few Man City youth players on the bench today which is good to see. Hopefully Joe Hodge has a route to 1st team there if he continues how he is going. There is a Thomas Doyle on the bench today, is there any Irish Connection there?
    Doubt it. Both of his grandfathers played for Man City and are English-born so the Doyle name isn't even a help there.

14. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Liam Delap eligible though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    how does this change in our favor?

how many could declare?

Redmond, ohare, crowley, johansson, johnston, paddy bamford
    Jamie O'Hara.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    This guy is highly rated at Spurs and has already been on the bench for them this season in the Premier League.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/tea...dennis-cirkin/

Anybody know why he prefers to play for the old enemy even though he was born in Ireland? Are his parents English? If not then shame on them.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    This guy is highly rated at Spurs and has already been on the bench for them this season in the Premier League.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/tea...dennis-cirkin/

Anybody know why he prefers to play for the old enemy even though he was born in Ireland? Are his parents English? If not then shame on them.
    Both parents are Latvia and he represented them at U13 level according to this.

https://m.facebook.com/BalticFootbal...61461497395414

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Peter Kioso is another Dublin born right back. He is starting tonight for Luton against United in the EFL cup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Both parents are Latvia and he represented them at U13 level according to this.

https://m.facebook.com/BalticFootbal...61461497395414
    Fair enough. He probably won't be too keen then to jump onboard unless things don't work out for him at England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Peter Kioso is another Dublin born right back. He is starting tonight for Luton against United in the EFL cup.
    According to this - https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/0...ungster-peter/ - he declared for the DR Congo.
    But, it's the only article I can find, and I can't find any call up for him to the DR Congo team
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    He looks a good player anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see him push on as a player. It is clear that he isn't the most polished player but he has a drive and all action industry that reminds me of Stephen Carr. Showed a willingness to tackle and get forward in equal measures and always looked to advance the play.

James Shea was in goal and made some nice saves but he is very small for a keeper, as I'm sure he's been told.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    James Shea was in goal and made some nice saves but he is very small for a keeper, as I'm sure he's been told.
    A touch taller than Shay Given ! (I realize Shay wasn’t the tallest but just saying!)