Page 189 of 257 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    My guess would be that's Cirkin is a non runner. Both his parents are Latvian and he has represented Latvia U13s and Baltic football school events when he was younger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Newcastle Jets playing Melbourne City this morning in Australia, in an empty stadium.
    Connor O'Toole is playing left wing for Jets. According to his Wikipedia entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_O%27Toole - he has an Irish father, and a Japanese mother, but has represented Australia at U20 level
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...-time-21851916

Saw some of these quotes in the Indo so dug up a paywall-free link online. I didn't see them in any of the reporting on Kenny's media engagements this week.

Really sound perspective on the English-born players I think. Jack Grealish is one that I think falls into this category Kenny is referring to as I know his family are (or were) part of the strong Irish community in Birmingham. I saw a picture on social media of a young lad (nephew potentially) in his arms wearing a Kerry jersey (the granny that was dragged out to the FAI award charade is from Sneem).

Kenny has spoken previously about how Grealish should have been integrated into the senior side earlier. Based on these comments, I think Kenny will be open to the grey area of the dual-national and their choice.

On that point, Kenny spoke on Off the Ball yesterday about how he was travelling to Championship games recently to watch players that are on the periphery of the senior squad so that he could understand their strengths and weaknesses. I assume that Kenny knows his style of play and knows Mick's style of play and wants to see if there are players that weren't given a chance that are better-suited to the former than the latter. Eligibility issues aside, I think Daniel Crowley may very well be one of those players Kenny took a look at.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Re Gaxha, this is positive, considering there was suggestion he would play for Albania.

Overall, hugely negative article re the state of play in Kerry

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...--1001257.html

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Re Gaxha, this is positive, considering there was suggestion he would play for Albania.

Overall, hugely negative article re the state of play in Kerry

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...--1001257.html
    What do you mean "state of play in Kerry"? Are you referring to the racial abuse he suffered there? Utterly deplorable, I agree, but I'm not sure it is representative of the "state of play" in Kerry and I don't think that the article was "overall, hugely negative" in that respect. We aren't just a shower of redneck hicks. Plenty of other young lads of different backgrounds have highlighted this type of abuse being doled out around Ireland. It is frankly despicable that these incidents occur and should be highlighted, although this lad's desire to play for Ireland is also surely a product of his assimilation in Kerry so his experience can't have been that bad?

Tralee has produced other athletes of various ethnicities. There's Rugby's Ultan Dillane and also Stefan Okunbor who was an underage gaelic footballer now on an AFL roster.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I also note that the original interview was given on Radio Kerry: https://www.radiokerry.ie/terrace-talk-may-11th-2020/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Honestly, my grandfather was from Rock Street, Tralee and I love Kerry, both the place and its people. I didn’t mean to offend. Just when I read the comment “Maybe if these incidents occurred in Dublin or Cork, they would be have dealt with.“, I read it to be Kerry specific.

But you’re right, I’ve witnessed racism in football in Dublin and sadly I’ve no doubt that it exists through the country. I also know a lad from Algeria who was a first teamer for Tralee Dynamos (maybe a decade ago) and had nothing but good things to say about the club and the area.

What I’ve heard from people who have grown up in Tralee in more recent years is there’s huge problems with racism and a whole host of other issues, all tied into socio-economic depravation, not dissimilar to other parts of the country.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...-time-21851916

Saw some of these quotes in the Indo so dug up a paywall-free link online. I didn't see them in any of the reporting on Kenny's media engagements this week.

Really sound perspective on the English-born players I think. Jack Grealish is one that I think falls into this category Kenny is referring to as I know his family are (or were) part of the strong Irish community in Birmingham. I saw a picture on social media of a young lad (nephew potentially) in his arms wearing a Kerry jersey (the granny that was dragged out to the FAI award charade is from Sneem).

Kenny has spoken previously about how Grealish should have been integrated into the senior side earlier. Based on these comments, I think Kenny will be open to the grey area of the dual-national and their choice.

On that point, Kenny spoke on Off the Ball yesterday about how he was travelling to Championship games recently to watch players that are on the periphery of the senior squad so that he could understand their strengths and weaknesses. I assume that Kenny knows his style of play and knows Mick's style of play and wants to see if there are players that weren't given a chance that are better-suited to the former than the latter. Eligibility issues aside, I think Daniel Crowley may very well be one of those players Kenny took a look at.
    Not sure Dan Crowley is eligible tbh

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I know what you're referring to but he may well become eligible eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Why do you think he isn't?
    He was eligible for the U17s, albeit he only played in friendlies for them, so I'd imagine he's qualified.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Why do you think he isn't?
    He was eligible for the U17s, albeit he only played in friendlies for them, so I'd imagine he's qualified.
    I thought he was in the same boat as Ryan J. From Bayern. Re no Irish passport at the time of playing for England under age?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Johansson was ineligible because he had also Swedish passport, qualifying through his Swedish born father. AFAIK Crowley has no passport, other than his English one.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He was eligible for Sweden because he had a swedish passport and his father was swedish born. He was ineligible for us as he didn't have an irish passport at the time of making his debut for under age Luxembourg. He(us) was very unlucky by the fact his irish raised mum was actually born in England

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Ok, but that doesn't explain why Crowley is ineligible

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ok, but that doesn't explain why Crowley is ineligible
    No Irish passport in hand when he played for England under age. Neither parent born in Ireland

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Did he have a passport when he played for the Ireland u17s?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    No he didnt need one. Just like Ryan J. Didnt have one when he played u19s for Ireland

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Just to clarify. You need to have the passport of the country you want to switch to. So if u qualify via a grandparent and have played for England or whatever at under age level you need to have an irish passport already. What's make this very complicated is players have switched illegally( callum Robinson) before. This is because no one knew the actual legal details ( apart from those bells in Luxembourg who ratted on Ryan to FIFA when he went to switch to us)

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The FAI were happy enough that he was qualified to mention him in their scouting reports: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/scou...ct-for-ireland

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    If the FAI are an authority when it comes to regulations or governance. Then tets we are in more trouble then I thought.

24. Thanks From: