Page 174 of 176 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 3504

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

  1. #3461
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,555
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,482
    Thanked in
    1,689 Posts

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    See my previous post, which must have crossed yours in the ether, for the correct explanation.

    And as for being "embittered", when SD joined up with an FAI training camp around the same time, where he got v.seriously injured, the IFA immediately sent him their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    But heyho, why let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    I think EG you have to concede (yet again) that my post was the more accurate explanation. I don't know who or what you are EG but I'm certainly glad you're around, it does my ego no end of good.
    One can get quickly tired of correcting Charles Darwin, a joyless venture indeed

    I'm alway glad to be corrected EG, however I was only jesting about a hypothetical scenario involving the IFA and my advice is don't get too offended by a jesty hypothetical.

    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I'm not sure how you dreamt that one up, but it's incorrect.

    SD elected to switch to the FAI in May 2010. However, his new registration was held back by FIFA, along with numerous other non-urgent re-registrations, because FIFA were clearing a backlog of players who were switching in order to represent a team in the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa that summer.
    That sounds very nice but it is fantasy.
    Shane elected to switch to the FAI in the month of February, the month of May is when he was called up by Trap for some training squad and had the near fatal blow.

    ..... and thus received the wonderfully gracious get well soon card from the IFA.

    CAS ruled on Kearns July 30th 2010

    On 20th august 2010

    FAI statement:

    The FIFA Player Status Committee passed its decision today to allow the player represent the national team of the FAI. Having considered the submission made by the FAI and the request from the player, the Single Judge of the Player Status Committee concluded that Shane Duffy is eligible to play for the FAI based on his Irish Nationality and the fact he had never represented the IFA’s association team at ‘A’ International Level previous to the application.


    Timelines don't lie. Fifa took 3 or so weeks to pass Shane Duffy fit for intl duty with Ireland
    Last edited by geysir; 13/03/2019 at 9:47 PM.

  2. #3462
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,158
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think EG you have to concede (yet again) that my post was the more accurate explanation. I don't know who or what you are EG but I'm certainly glad you're around, it does my ego no end of good.
    One can get quickly tired of correcting Charles Darwin, a joyless venture indeed

    I'm alway glad to be corrected EG, however I was only jesting about a hypothetical scenario involving the IFA and my advice is don't get too offended by a jesty hypothetical.


    That sounds very nice but it is fantasy.
    Shane elected to switch to the FAI in the month of February, the month of May is when he was called up by Trap for some training squad and had the near fatal blow.

    ..... and thus received the wonderfully gracious get well soon card from the IFA.

    CAS ruled on Kearns July 30th 2010

    On 20th august 2010

    FAI statement:

    The FIFA Player Status Committee passed its decision today to allow the player represent the national team of the FAI. Having considered the submission made by the FAI and the request from the player, the Single Judge of the Player Status Committee concluded that Shane Duffy is eligible to play for the FAI based on his Irish Nationality and the fact he had never represented the IFA’s association team at ‘A’ International Level previous to the application.


    Timelines don't lie. Fifa took 3 or so weeks to pass Shane Duffy fit for intl duty with Ireland
    That timeline does not contradict my point, if anything it reinforces it, as follows.

    SD elected to switch at the end of Feb.2010, as you say. But with the Qualifiers having been completed by the end of 2009 (Nov?), FIFA anticipated a number of new registrations and applications to switch before the Finals. (Quite obviously they needed to be satisfied that all players appearing were properly eligible and registered.)

    Consequently they put a hold on effecting all non-essential registrations, inc SD's, until after the backlog was cleared and the tournament was out of the way (Final was mid-July). Which will have been why it took until 20 August for them to get round to SD's application, amongst all the rest. (This will have cleared the decks for European competitions starting in the autumn)

    Meanwhile, Kearns/CAS was nothing whatever to do with it, since SD's Donegal Da meant that the IFA did not contest SD's switch at any stage. Therefore they had no cause to delay his registration. Indeed, even if they had been so inclined for some reason, I'm pretty sure there will have been no competitive matches at any age group coming up that the ROI might have needed SD for, because it was approaching the season's end.

    Therefore what would have been the point of withholding his documents, since the FAI could, of course, have gone ahead regardless and picked him for any friendlies they had planned whilst they waited on the IFA?

  3. #3463
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,555
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,482
    Thanked in
    1,689 Posts
    Do you have anything to support that fantasy account EG?

    When the IFA complaint was lodged with CAS, all transfer activity between the IFA to the FAI was put on hold.
    The IFA appeal was made against the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee of FIFA in regards to a decision he/she made re Daniel Kearns.
    I'd just understand that holding action as being 'normal', given the circumstances that the appeal was made against the Judge who decides on these matters

    Timeline
    Duffy announces switch late February 2010
    IFA lodge appeal with CAS early March 2010.
    CAS announce result July 30 2010
    Shane is declared switched by the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee of FIFA 20th August 2010
    it was widely reported at the time that the first player to benefit would be Shane Duffy whose transfer was put on hold during the hostilities.
    Every other transfer between the IFA to FAI took no more than 2 months to complete.

  4. #3464
    First Team TrapAPony's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Timbuktu, Mali
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    449
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    433
    Thanked in
    263 Posts
    Lads, isn't there a thread already dedicated to this CAS/FAI/IFA puke? ^
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 14/03/2019 at 8:14 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

  5. #3465
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,158
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Do you have anything to support that fantasy account EG?

    When the IFA complaint was lodged with CAS, all transfer activity between the IFA to the FAI was put on hold.
    The IFA appeal was made against the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee of FIFA in regards to a decision he/she made re Daniel Kearns.
    I'd just understand that holding action as being 'normal', given the circumstances that the appeal was made against the Judge who decides on these matters

    Timeline
    Duffy announces switch late February 2010
    IFA lodge appeal with CAS early March 2010.
    CAS announce result July 30 2010
    Shane is declared switched by the Single Judge of the Players’ Status Committee of FIFA 20th August 2010
    it was widely reported at the time that the first player to benefit would be Shane Duffy whose transfer was put on hold during the hostilities.
    Every other transfer between the IFA to FAI took no more than 2 months to complete.
    The claim was that SD's transfer was (maliciously) delayed by the IFA.

    I have demonstrated why they had no cause to do so, since they accepted there was no doubt as to his eligibility (father), nor would it have made any material difference to his availability to the FAI (no competitive games).

    Now if it turns out that FIFA delayed the transfer since they considered it to be caught up by the IFA/CAS case, then that would just be one of those things and could not be put down to spite against SD by the IFA.

    But in any case, even had there been no IFA/CAS appeal, SD's transfer would still have been held in abeyance whilst the World Cup backlog was fast-tracked, that fast-track process being a matter of public record at the time.

    But listen, I can hear the weary sighs of others wafting across the ether as I type, so if you insist on persuading yourself that it's just another case of prejudice by those Big Bad Nordies, even in the face of the facts, then go ahead.

  6. #3466
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    633
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    423
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Liam coyle at liverpool has been called up by the north 21s

  7. #3467
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    324
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    One of the lads on the YBIG forum just posted an interview he did with Ryan Johansson, good read

    http://lawboi.netsoc.co/wordpress/20...ryanjohansson/

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #3468
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,126
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    411
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    136
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Thanks for sharing, Razor. Great read. You can tell he really wants to play for us and the stuff about his brother going to university in Dublin really emphasizes the genuine connection his family has with Ireland.

  10. #3469
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,555
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,482
    Thanked in
    1,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    The claim was that SD's transfer was (maliciously) delayed by the IFA.
    From the outset I said it was not the IFA who delayed Shane Duffy's transfer and gave the exact account of how it was delayed. Your account was fantasy, wooly beyond belief.

  11. #3470
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,555
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,482
    Thanked in
    1,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Lads, isn't there a thread already dedicated to this CAS/FAI/IFA puke? ^
    What's puke about eligibility in a thread about eligibility, albeit not the exact thread?
    Perhaps you know it all and are extremely bored by more than 3 sentences on Shane Duffy's transfer and just want to puke?

  12. #3471
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    633
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    423
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Nice to see connell and Coventry accept call ups to the 19s and 21s this week. Given the rice saga surely any lad in the system who was undecided would excuse themselves from call ups and make the decision to move. Connell hadnt played competitive 19s for us this season so he could have switched to Brits for their qualifiers this month and same with Coventry start of new 21s cycle

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #3472
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,806
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    857
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Nice to see connell and Coventry accept call ups to the 19s and 21s this week. Given the rice saga surely any lad in the system who was undecided would excuse themselves from call ups and make the decision to move. Connell hadnt played competitive 19s for us this season so he could have switched to Brits for their qualifiers this month and same with Coventry start of new 21s cycle
    Do you think the Rice issue would put pressure on anyone uncertain? I think the brazenness of both Rice and Grealish in taking us for a ride would hardly get the screw turned on these lads if they didn't want it.

  15. #3473
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    633
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    423
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Do you think the Rice issue would put pressure on anyone uncertain? I think the brazenness of both Rice and Grealish in taking us for a ride would hardly get the screw turned on these lads if they didn't want it.
    Ah let's hope cynicism hasn't reached Those lengths. If connell pr Coventry wanted out now is a nice easy time especially if connell is been lined up for the big money premier league move when we are all told been in the English system gets you much bigger contract and endorsement deals.

  16. #3474
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    464
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    38
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Nice to see connell and Coventry accept call ups to the 19s and 21s this week. Given the rice saga surely any lad in the system who was undecided would excuse themselves from call ups and make the decision to move. Connell hadnt played competitive 19s for us this season so he could have switched to Brits for their qualifiers this month and same with Coventry start of new 21s cycle

    Look, Grealish was nailed on from day one to go with England, he made that pretty clear in his support for the senior team, so as much as that was hard to stomach, it wasn’t a surprise.

    As for the other one, that was a lot tougher given the kissing of the badge, singing the anthem, the interviews, his dad, the 3 appearances etc., we didn’t see it coming.

    Therefore his was by far the hardest to take.

    On the other hand Coventry’s connection is much closer, his mother is Irish, so I’d be hopeful he’ll stick with us or else he’ll have a good smack of the wooden spoon off her

    As for Luca Noddy Holder Connell, I’d be less hopeful
    I have a head only Snow White would love

  17. #3475
    First Team Sullivinho's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    1,753
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    436
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    720
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    The extent to which these dual eligibles can play f̶o̶r̶ us has been modernized to full international level courtesy of the trailblazing Rice-a-phoney. I wouldn't read anything, either way, into young players with options turning up, short of a full cap situation.
    Last edited by Sullivinho; 18/03/2019 at 11:44 AM.

  18. Thanks From:


  19. #3476
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,806
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    857
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Look, Grealish was nailed on from day one to go with England, he made that pretty clear in his support for the senior team, so as much as that was hard to stomach, it wasn’t a surprise.

    As for the other one, that was a lot tougher given the kissing of the badge, singing the anthem, the interviews, his dad, the 3 appearances etc., we didn’t see it coming.

    Therefore his was by far the hardest to take.

    On the other hand Coventry’s connection is much closer, his mother is Irish, so I’d be hopeful he’ll stick with us or else he’ll have a good smack of the wooden spoon off her

    As for Luca Noddy Holder Connell, I’d be less hopeful
    What is your issue with Connell? Please explain and provide reasons.

  20. #3477
    Reserves dynamo kerry's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    My own view on this has hardened considerably. The Eni Aluko article in the guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/football...eland-identity - telling us to respect dual nationality irked me immensely. No switches after u-19 would be my line. No taking up space in squads unless you are committed from a decent age. 18 year olds are adults. They can make a call and live with it. If we lose people so be it.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 21/03/2019 at 9:12 AM. Reason: added link to article

  21. Thanks From:


  22. #3478
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    165
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Do we have confirmation that Max O'Leary ( bristol city Keeper) is qualified?
    Thanks

  23. #3479
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    14,692
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,839
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    820
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Will Keane scores against his brother Michael at Euro 2020. What odds giveth?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  24. #3480
    First Team TrapAPony's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Timbuktu, Mali
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    449
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    433
    Thanked in
    263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Will Keane scores against his brother Michael at Euro 2020. What odds giveth?
    Unless the entire Irish squad is wiped out by a plague beforehand then there is probably no chance Will Keane will make it. There is already Robinson, Obafemi, Long, McGoldrick, Hogan, Maguire, O'Brien and supposedly Bamford declaring. 4 from that will be picked for a 23 man Euro squad.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Similar Threads

  1. Retired Players Thread
    By tetsujin1979 in forum Ireland
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03/04/2019, 11:00 AM
  2. Potentially eligible players thread
    By TheOneWhoKnocks in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26/01/2017, 7:43 PM
  3. Potentially eligible players thread
    By liamoo11 in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19/08/2015, 11:27 PM
  4. Potentially eligible players thread
    By liamoo11 in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19/08/2015, 5:39 PM
  5. Former players thread
    By pineapple stu in forum UCD
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05/08/2009, 1:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •