Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    It doesn't look like Bamford is even bothered tbh. Mick says :

''Yeah, I’m waiting for a call from him. We have had a litany of messages with him, to try and arrange to meet for a coffee and a chat with him and his Dad, then he was injured, a game got cancelled, I couldn’t go and see him...and he played there the other night and scored on Saturday.

"I’m waiting for him to say, ‘Come and meet me’, and I’ll drive to wherever it is and meet him and his Dad and we’ll get it sorted out."

Doesn't seem Redmond is bothered either :"I am [interested]," he said. "I’ve spoken to his agent, I’ve tried to met up with him and it’s not been successful yet. I think he has already played with England, hasn’t he?

"I think he’s been playing well, he’s been having a good season so maybe he is still harbouring hopes he is going to be picked for them."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...ng-to-join-us/

It's interesting that we hear "footballers just want to play football" that the likes of redmond and bamford arent actively trying to play football by declaring for Ireland. The only thing that I can see holding them is Southgates general selection policy.

Southgates like that Employer who keeps dangling the carrot in front of you for a raise and/or promotion so even though youre a general operative you will still clean the toilets.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Interesting. So it seems the length of time is mainly dependent on how organised/co-operative the 'giving' association decides to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pauloshytebox
    Article 8.2?
    I referenced it on another thread. Possibly the Luca Connell; well I referenced it for my own off-the-wall interpretation about consent and being under-18.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I referenced it for my own off-the-wall interpretation about consent and being under-18.
    Controversial, Kingdom.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Interesting. So it seems the length of time is mainly dependent on how organised/co-operative the 'giving' association decides to be.
    Always has been - the north held up Shane Duffy for months even though his eligibility was never in dispute. The committee sitting more regularly is the main one in this case.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    So can we expect Dan Crowley and will Keane and i asume bamford to be eligible for the Denmark game

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    The brits have a slightly faster justice system!!
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...so-much-worse/

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Do we know how many of our young prospects, with dual nationality, are with Nike? This is likely to be a very big factor/influence going forward in their decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Pretty sure Ronan is with Nike. Why does this make any difference?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    There is a thought process that suggests the "athletes" are more valuable to the sponsor if they play for a team that is also with the sponsor. Usually this means club team but sponsors also apply this to country, if there is an element of choice on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Well, a player is also more valuable to a sponsor if he’s playing in the Premier League. Playing for Ireland is a way to increase your profile if you’re an up and coming player from the Championship or lower tiers, where you’re likely nowhere near being considered for England.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    NI continuing their issuance of stick or twist ultimatums to young lads by calling up Arsenal's 19 year-old, English-born Daniel Ballard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    NI continuing their issuance of stick or twist ultimatums to young lads by calling up Arsenal's 19 year-old, English-born Daniel Ballard
    Or in plain English: NI promote successful NI u-21 and u-19 player to full squad.

He's a grown man who can choose who to play for

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Tongue was in cheek. You were quick on the uptake. I'm sure OWC is being heavily-monitored by members of this forum also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Tongue was in cheek
    Was that before or after you swallowed the dictionary?

You were quick on the uptake. I'm sure OWC is being heavily-monitored by members of this forum also
    My heavy monitoring of this site amounts to three months since my last post. Since when I noticed you've managed about 175

Back to Ballard- I predict he'll get 10 minutes in one of the games if the result's inevitable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Always has been - the north held up Shane Duffy for months even though his eligibility was never in dispute.
    I'm not sure how you dreamt that one up, but it's incorrect.

SD elected to switch to the FAI in May 2010. However, his new registration was held back by FIFA, along with numerous other non-urgent re-registrations, because FIFA were clearing a backlog of players who were switching in order to represent a team in the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa that summer.

Had ROI qualified, and SD been required for the senior squad, his re-registration would have been fast-tracked.

Either way, there was no delay on the IFA's part.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Always has been - the north held up Shane Duffy for months even though his eligibility was never in dispute. The committee sitting more regularly is the main one in this case.
    I think the main reason that held up Shane Duffy's switch from the dark side to the FAI was because the IFA had taken their Daniel Kearns' case to CAS and both events coincided.
    Possibly an embittered association such as the IFA could drag their heels and effect some delay but there's a limit to what they can do, apart from - can't find a stamp, can't find a post office.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think the main reason that held up Shane Duffy's switch from the dark side to the FAI was because the IFA had taken their Daniel Kearns' case to CAS and both events coincided.
    Possibly an embittered association such as the IFA could drag their heels and effect some delay but there's a limit to what they can do, apart from - can't find a stamp, can't find a post office.
    See my previous post, which must have crossed yours in the ether, for the correct explanation.

And as for being "embittered", when SD joined up with an FAI training camp around the same time, where he got v.seriously injured, the IFA immediately sent him their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

But heyho, why let the facts get in the way of a good story...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    See my previous post, which must have crossed yours in the ether, for the correct explanation.

And as for being "embittered", when SD joined up with an FAI training camp around the same time, where he got v.seriously injured, the IFA immediately sent him their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

But heyho, why let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    I think EG you have to concede (yet again) that my post was the more accurate explanation. I don't know who or what you are EG but I'm certainly glad you're around, it does my ego no end of good.
    One can get quickly tired of correcting Charles Darwin, a joyless venture indeed

I'm alway glad to be corrected EG, however I was only jesting about a hypothetical scenario involving the IFA and my advice is don't get too offended by a jesty hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I'm not sure how you dreamt that one up, but it's incorrect.

SD elected to switch to the FAI in May 2010. However, his new registration was held back by FIFA, along with numerous other non-urgent re-registrations, because FIFA were clearing a backlog of players who were switching in order to represent a team in the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa that summer.
    That sounds very nice but it is fantasy.
    Shane elected to switch to the FAI in the month of February, the month of May is when he was called up by Trap for some training squad and had the near fatal blow.

..... and thus received the wonderfully gracious get well soon card from the IFA.

CAS ruled on Kearns July 30th 2010

On 20th august 2010

FAI statement:

The FIFA Player Status Committee passed its decision today to allow the player represent the national team of the FAI. Having considered the submission made by the FAI and the request from the player, the Single Judge of the Player Status Committee concluded that Shane Duffy is eligible to play for the FAI based on his Irish Nationality and the fact he had never represented the IFA’s association team at ‘A’ International Level previous to the application.

Timelines don't lie. Fifa took 3 or so weeks to pass Shane Duffy fit for intl duty with Ireland
    Last edited by geysir; 13/03/2019 at 9:47 PM.