Page 171 of 257 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 5124

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ah, if the Rice situation proves anything it's that player's are capable of making whatever decision they like. If he wants to play for Ireland he's fully able to make contact himself.
    seems like he has...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37841409.html

"I've kept in touch with the FAI scout, Mark O'Toole, over the years and he knows I'd love a call-up," he admits.

"I've asked the FAI to process the transfer. I'll wait for my clearance to come through and would be delighted to be part of the Ireland squad for the Euro 2020 campaign if selected."

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    seems like he has...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37841409.html

"I've kept in touch with the FAI scout, Mark O'Toole, over the years and he knows I'd love a call-up," he admits.

"I've asked the FAI to process the transfer. I'll wait for my clearance to come through and would be delighted to be part of the Ireland squad for the Euro 2020 campaign if selected."
    Good news. Welcome aboard Daniel!
    It's a pity the process won't be wrapped up before the opening matches as the article states, but hey...at least it's underway. I wonder if there's a way to speed up the process?

*As the Daniel Crowley thread can now be moved to the Ireland section, it'd also be an opportune time to move/bin the Declan Rice thread.*
    Last edited by The Fly; 22/02/2019 at 12:49 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Great news. We are screaming for a play maker

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Great stuff. We have seen the pictures of his younger brother in an Ireland kit so we know that he isn't making that up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Good news. Welcome aboard Daniel!
    It's a pity the process won't be wrapped up before the opening matches as the article states, but hey...at least it's underway.
    Hadn't seen this before I posted my remarkably similar post in his own thread.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Great news. We are screaming for a play maker
    I'm taking all the credit lads.
    It was that fake post a couple of weeks ago about Mick going to watch him which got the whole thing done.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I'm taking all the credit lads.
    It was that fake post a couple of weeks ago about Mick going to watch him which got the whole thing done.
    Yes that was extremely helpful! Thanks for that!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Penalty there for Will Keane. If he keeps going he'll end the season with more goals than the rest of his senior career put together.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Balls.ie with an interesting article (shock!) And 3 good stories: https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-...-of-war-406280

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Penalty there for Will Keane. If he keeps going he'll end the season with more goals than the rest of his senior career put together.
    You're not far out - four more will make that happen

I know we were all a little underwhelmed by Keane's committing to us but that's three goals in eight games for Ipswich - if he kept that rate going over a season that would be seventeen, which wouldn't be a bad haul. I've said elsewhere that our primary striker options right now are our two Premier League players, Long and Obafemi, and our regularly-scoring (when fit) Championship forwards, Robinson, McGoldrick and Maguire. Then there's a gap to a big pack of players made up of low-scoring Championship forwards (Hogan, O'Brien and Keane) and regularly scoring League One Forwards (Collins, Curtis and Cox... maybe Doyle, who got his ninth of the season) plus Jon Walters, if he can make a successful return from injury and extend his career a bit. If Keane can get a few more before the end of the season, he might start to pull out of that pack and move into genuine contention for a place in the squad, at least.

That said, I don't see a compelling argument for including him in Mick's squads for the first half of the campaign. You might say that the two games against Gibraltar would give us an opportunity to blood him in, but that ignores the fact that four of the five I listed as our main options are yet to score an international goal and have a grand total of seventeen caps between them. So for me it's a case of "keep it up, Will, and maybe later... but not now"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Doubt he'll have the paperwork completed in time for the Gibraltar game anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/scou...s-managers-eye

Sean Maguire led by example in front of an impressed Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy, as Irish attackers and two potential recruits hit the goal trail on Saturday in England.

23rd Feb 2019

Maguire scored the third goal on the half hour mark as Preston North End beat Millwall 3-1 in the English Championship.

Ireland boss McCarthy could hear the Preston fans constantly chanting Maguire’s name and could have been forgiven for joining in.

“Sean’s movement today was exceptional and his finish for the goal was different class,” said McCarthy.

“His play as the lone striker was excellent. He got in behind the Millwall defence, he ran the channels and he put in a great shift capped by that finish for the third Preston goal.

“It seemed like the Preston fans were singing about Sean throughout the game and it was easy to see why.

“Alan Browne did really well for Preston as well. The Preston midfield swamped Millwall and Alan was central to everything they did with another powerful display.

“I like the way he gets forward in support and gets amongst the goals as well. He didn’t get many chances at Millwall but he has 11 goals already this season and I like that that in a central midfielder.”

Millwall’s Shaun Williams won’t have enjoyed the Preston game but McCarthy did note his performance.

“Like the rest of the Millwall team, Shaun knew he was in a game today,” added former Lions boss McCarthy. “I know Shaun, know he’s got a good left foot and know what he’s about.”

McCarthy, whose assistant Terry Connor watched Aston Villa’s Conor Hourihane and Glenn Whelan against James McClean and Stoke City in their 1-1 game, was pleased with the goalscoring return of his players and potential recruits.

Callum O’Dowda, for Bristol City in their 3-2 defeat at Norwich, and Aiden McGeady, in Sunderland’s 2-0 win at Bristol Rovers, both scored.

Ipswich Town striker Will Keane, watched twice by McCarthy last week and in the process of getting his Irish passport, and Leeds United’s Patrick Bamford both scored from the penalty spot.

“Will has got two goals in two games now for Ipswich and he is playing well,” said McCarthy.

“Patrick has also battled back from injury and is playing for Leeds again and scoring now. I have asked him if he wants to play for us and now that he is fit again, playing and scoring, I look forward to him making contact with me so we can take the next step.

“The great thing already this weekend is that Irish players are scoring. We need our players hitting the target with their clubs and carrying that form into the games with Gibraltar and Georgia next month.”

McCarthy has confirmed that assistant coach Robbie Keane will be at Dalymount Park on Monday night for the top of the table SSE Airtricity League Premier Division clash between Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers.

And he was welcomed the recent decision by Dutch-based former Arsenal and Aston Villa midfielder Danny Crowley, of Willem 11, to declare for Ireland after representing England at Under-19 level.

“The FAI have been working with Danny on this for some time now and Noel King (Player Identification Manager) has made arrangements to go to Holland and watch Danny play,” said McCarthy.

The Ireland manager will announce his squad for the EURO 2020 qualifiers Gibraltar and Georgia on March 6.
    Last edited by The Fly; 23/02/2019 at 9:20 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I have a sneaking suspicion that there’ll be a “left field” inclusion in the squad in March. Not necessarily a Bamford or a Keane. Someone not much discussed. No foundation for the logic. Just a feeling.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that there’ll be a “left field” inclusion in the squad in March. Not necessarily a Bamford or a Keane. Someone not much discussed. No foundation for the logic. Just a feeling.
    Declan Rice?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    ...I'm high on believing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    FAI: Scouting Report: Everton midfielder needs games

The Ireland boss's namesake is patiently awaiting his first-team return over a year after he suffered an horrific double leg break against West Bromwich Albion.
    James McCarthy has been a regular on the Everton bench in the last few weeks and is expected to feature in the match-day squad for Tuesday’s English Premier League visit to Cardiff City.
    Ireland scouts will be at that game and Mick McCarthy would love to see the 28-year-old have some involvement in order to regain his sharpness.
    “I have been in regular contact with James since I returned to the Ireland job and I know how hard he has worked to get himself back to fitness,” said Mick McCarthy.
    “The one thing James needs now as we look to Gibraltar and Georgia next month is game time and he knows that.
    “James is a top quality Premier League player with 41 international caps already to his name. I would love to be in a position to name him in my squad and I need him to play for Everton.
    “That could be with the first team or it could be with the Under 23s. I don’t mind. I even thought a top Championship club would look for James in the last transfer window. I just need him back playing and soon.”
    As manager McCarthy and his coaching staff continue to monitor players ahead of that squad announcement with two players added to the injury list at the weekend.
    Ciaran Clark missed Newcastle United’s 2-0 win at home to Huddersfield Town, while Sheffield United’s John Egan went off at half-time in their 1-0 Championship victory at West Brom.
    “My medical team tell me Ciaran [Clark] will be out for two weeks with a knee injury. He needs treatment but should be back by the middle of March and in time for Gibraltar,” added the Ireland boss.
    “John [Egan] is having treatment on a tight calf muscle and hopes to be fit in time for the Sheffield derby against Wednesday on March 4th.
    “The good news this weekend was that Robbie Brady played the last 10 minutes of Burnley’s win over Spurs when he went on for Jeff Hendrick. We all know Robbie is a class act so that is good news.”
    Manager McCarthy saw Sean Maguire score Preston North End’s third goal in their 3-1 win at Millwall and also took note of the Callum O’Dowda goal for Bristol City in their 3-2 defeat at Championship rivals Norwich City.
    “That was some finish from Callum but it doesn’t surprise me,” said Mick. “I have watched Callum a number of times now and he is in great form with Bristol.
    “It was a good weekend for goals for us. Aiden McGeady scored again for Sunderland, Sean Maguire was really impressive against Millwall and both Patrick Bamford and Will Keane scored from the penalty spot.”

It seems weird that there is this direct talk from Mick about what bamford is doing in an articles which is framed as a scouting report without any confirmation that Bamford is actually coming on board

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Anyone know much about Callum Slattery of Southampton and any connections? He’s doing great with them. Underage caps with England but with a surname like that... not saying we should pursue him but just curious if there’s a known connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    It seems weird that there is this direct talk from Mick about what bamford is doing in an articles which is framed as a scouting report without any confirmation that Bamford is actually coming on board
    IIRC, Mick has said that Bamford wants to meet him.

I reckon there's a 90% chance he's about to declare but he might also just want to know what startled Mick that one time. I'd forgo Bam-Bam's international career just to find out myself tbh.

Last edited by Sullivinho; 25/02/2019 at 1:01 AM.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Will Keane has a hamstring problem and is out for six weeks
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    IIRC, Mick has said that Bamford wants to meet him.

I reckon there's a 90% chance he's about to declare but he might also just want to know what startled Mick that one time. I'd forgo Bam-Bam's international career just to find out myself tbh.
    It doesn't look like Bamford is even bothered tbh. Mick says :

''Yeah, I’m waiting for a call from him. We have had a litany of messages with him, to try and arrange to meet for a coffee and a chat with him and his Dad, then he was injured, a game got cancelled, I couldn’t go and see him...and he played there the other night and scored on Saturday.

"I’m waiting for him to say, ‘Come and meet me’, and I’ll drive to wherever it is and meet him and his Dad and we’ll get it sorted out."

Doesn't seem Redmond is bothered either :"I am [interested]," he said. "I’ve spoken to his agent, I’ve tried to met up with him and it’s not been successful yet. I think he has already played with England, hasn’t he?

"I think he’s been playing well, he’s been having a good season so maybe he is still harbouring hopes he is going to be picked for them."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...ng-to-join-us/
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo